Official feedback for issue 52

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:48 am

mikeb wrote:That reminds me - what happened to the C64 Book review?!
there were too many little gremlins in it so we decided not to review it...

merman

Post by merman » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:27 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
mikeb wrote:That reminds me - what happened to the C64 Book review?!
there were too many little gremlins in it so we decided not to review it...
Hey, there were only about ten games by Gremlin in the book ;)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:32 pm

Looking forward to it, especially if it's as interesting as issue 52, think I read every article.

Not too impressed with the cover of this one though, especially since almost the identical image was used in the previous issue. I don't rate the mag on the front page though so not too bothered.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:07 pm

Like what you have done with the "Classic Game" section. Breaking it down into the best individual bits of the game makes it even more interesting to read!

Rest of the issue was pants though.......................... :wink: :wink: (come on, dont want to come across as a brown nose!)

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:10 am

SirClive wrote:Haven't read the thread so not sure what the views on the cover are, but I really don't like it. One of the worst for me.
Will a nice shiny cover like the last issue be better instead? I thought the cover on the last issue was rather nice. :D
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:37 am

Another interesting issue

Just a something I spotted In the Streets Of Rage 2 article the best move and best boss captions are the wrong way round.

Does everyone really think Max is the worst Character in the Game? I always found the game easiest with Axel Or Max and really struggled with Scate

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:48 am

sorry guys i didn't like the front cover much, i don't think the image used was that interesting and the text seemed all over the place. if memory serves the zelda cover in particular had a nice layout (not so cluttered). the other cover i really liked was the castlevania one, but this was down to the actual artwork used. in general think most of the retro gamer covers have too much text on them.

the new double page spread doobries on a specific game are a nice idea but seem a bit throw away. for some reason i found the saint dragon one difficult to read/follow. had no problems with the SOR2 one though so its probably my eyes or something.

other than that a good issue.

chinnyhill10

Re: Official feedback for issue 52

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:42 am

Decent enough issue. Was surprised to see Fire And Forget 2 listed in the GX4000 perfect ten when it's a load of old cack (and the reviews at the time said as much). There's a fair few better games on the GX4000 including Barbarian and No Exit.

Star Wars, meh.

darthsteve333

Post by darthsteve333 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:59 pm

Maybe 'Star Wars meh', but I have a question that I'm hoping someone on this forum may be able to answer, (and its related to the Star Wars feature - although I have yet to pick up my copy of the mag from WHSmiths).

I was wondering whether anyone could tell me if anyone knows of working Star Wars arcade machines (the original Atari vector graphics one), in arcades these days?

It has been many years (as far as I remember between 8 & 10 years), since I last sat in one and had a go. That was in an arcade in Ilfracombe and the screen was starting to give up the ghost - the next time I went back, it had gone, replaced by the ever increasing tide of fruit machines.

I still play regularly through MAME, but as good as that is, I miss the whole cabinet experience (the stand-up version was also good though...just not quite as good!). Everywhere I see an arcade, I have to go and check to see whether they have one.

I've played the other Star Wars arcade machines, (Arcade, Trilogy, Racer and the pinball games), but whilst enjoyable, they're not the same, (although the Data East pinball is pretty cool...). If anyone can tell me where there might still be working model(s), that would just about make my decade !

One day, I will own one !! (Probably just before my wife divorces me! :lol: )

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:47 pm

You've no chance. Even if such a thing as a public Star Wars cab existed, anyine who knew of it would be a fool to reveal it online as it guarantees the hoarders and/or speculative buyers will swoop in with wads of cash and it'll no longer be available.
I know if I had the cash I'd jump straight at any I heard of.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

darthsteve333

Post by darthsteve333 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:39 am

Thats what I suspected...

Oh well, MAME it is until I have enough space and cash for a cab of my own...(which is likely to be some time from now) :(

*sigh*

quantum

Post by quantum » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:39 am

kelp7 wrote:
quantum wrote:
Kai wrote:Wow! Klax, Spindizzy, Eye of the Beholder and Ridge Racer! I'm definitely looking forward to those! Plus infos about Star Wars games? Sounds like a great issue!
Indeed! Inspired me to fire up klax on mame and lose a couple of hours.

As a 1986 CGA PC was my first "gaming system", I think I'll have to provide you guys with a little retro PC education, as the last couple of issues have all had PC mistakes :oops:
Awsome dude, what '86 PC did you have? I had an Amstrad 1512 with mono monitor, am in the process of creating a site for all the old PC-Plus magazines I have and the 5.25" cover-disks that came with them...
It was a crusty old non branded 80286 with a 20MB hard disk! Initially I didn't even get to "enjoy" the 4 colour CGA as I had an amber monitor :shock:

I was very surprised to see Zone 66 (by Tran) in one of the timelines in issue 52. Maybe that demoscene article will get the go ahead?
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... n&start=45 :wink:

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:57 pm

quantum wrote:
kelp7 wrote: Awsome dude, what '86 PC did you have? I had an Amstrad 1512 with mono monitor, am in the process of creating a site for all the old PC-Plus magazines I have and the 5.25" cover-disks that came with them...
It was a crusty old non branded 80286 with a 20MB hard disk! Initially I didn't even get to "enjoy" the 4 colour CGA as I had an amber monitor :shock:
Ah, the amstrad wasn't even a 206 (or a 106 if such a thing existed), it was an 8086. 7mhz. Luckily i got round the whole garish CGA palette by having a monochrome monitor, so shades of grey it was for me :) Wonder if you ever played Starflight? That game should be covered by Retrogamer if you ask me, one of the best games ever written and the influence for games such as Star Control 2.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

DJevAL

Post by DJevAL » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:47 am

Bit late to the discussion but EXCELLENT issue! My favourite for quite some months (not that I'm saying the other previous ones weren't excellent, just that the content was more up my street).

One downer and complaint though... the GX4000 article.

I know this machine had a retroinspection in I believe issue 4, but was it really necessary to recycle most of the content of that article? I'll have to go find that magazine again, but it sure read very similar, and yep David Crookes wrote both. I mean no disrespect to David, as I enjoy his articles and writing style greatly (and I remember he used to be a contributer to the CPC scene many years ago so respect!) but aside from the brief chats with Gary Bracey I don't see much more being brought to the table here.

I'd have much preferred you do the article about the whole Plus range of machines (GX4000 included) as there's been nothing much been wrote about them previously in RG, and there's a whole massive range of software, games, demos available out there. And with all the great features the machine had they've been well and truly unlocked and lots of new content and releases are being done today geared around it. Theres a far more active following and scene around these machines, and to me... the Amstrad 6128 Plus is by far the best 8-bit home computer around bar none in my opinion (rightly or wrongly).

So to me, its such a waste of an article - sorry :( I mean no offence, but the article even missed off all the unofficial and bootleg cart games that have been made and doing the rounds over the last few years as another example.

However, thanks again for a great magazine and I'll be sure to be subscribing fully shortly.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:39 pm

Enjoyed the mag from front to back. Back to the eighties is always going to be a favourite of mine and you'll never go far wrong with anything Star Wars related.
Atari's vector cab article was a bloody good read too, it's incredible to think of the hurdles that the programmers had to jump back then. Credit where it's due i say.
Altogether another really interesting issue, intelligently written with a nice touch of humour.
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."