Official feedback for issue 52

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:37 am

Have read up to the end of the star wars stuff - had to stop and launch MAME!

Mag looks like a good one for me this month with lots of stuff im interested in (which is nice!)

Nice to see Maria Whitakers tats in the mag though!!!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

psj3809

Re: Unofficial feedback for issue 52

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:12 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's basically the best features from various issues, similar to the original retro gamer vol 1. I'd imagine it will be available to order from the imagine shop on Monday.
Cool, sounds great, i'll get one as i'm a bookazine-aholic . Thanks

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:08 pm

Read it properly now. Here are my thoughts on it:
Retrofusion - nice to see a 2 page spread on this (particularly as I'm going) but I suppose many people will wonder what all the fuss is about.
Spindizzy - forgot about this great game and aim to play it this weekend
Star Wars game history - a good overview, surprisingly few good games for such a popular franchise, Star Wars: Jedi Arena is absolutely dreadful!
Collectors Corner - a more mainstream collector that has a bit of everything to give the rest of us hope, still not sure if the format does the collections justice.
Amstrad GX4000 - have this console with Burning Rubber (like everybody else). Good review but very few carts are ever on sale on ebay except Robocop, Pang...Thanks for the link to the horrible Amstrad commercial, only 15,000 sold, not surprising really.
Eye of the Beholder - very keen to play this after reading the Making Of (will get some graph paper), nice to have a couple of articles each month that go into some detail. Not sure the Star Wars one was needed in an already Star Wars heavy issue.
Shaq Fu Retro Shamer - a well deserved place in the shamer bin, can't believe he needed the money. My copy :(
Still waiting for Bargain Hunt pages to be changed and the Retro Gamer diary barely seems to change each month but still enjoyed reading it. :)
Oh... and Escape From the Planet of the Robot Monsters is ace!

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:24 pm

Best issue for ages, and Jason Kelk has done a super job on the homebrew pages again!
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:17 pm

You fancy him.

drws

Post by drws » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:30 pm

Just flicked through the mag only to see on the letters page the picture of the boys playing 5-a-side and that's my office window in the background! :shock:

I missed a retrogamer/imagine 5-a-side tourny 5 yards away!

You would have won I've you'd given me a shout :D

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:57 pm

SirClive wrote:You fancy him.
Haha :lol:
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:34 pm

uuummm...mine hasn't arrived yet - though my postman was humming the star wars theme....maybe I should be worried....

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:25 pm

Enjoyed the issue, especially the Making Of Star Wars with Mike Hally... one of those small collection of guys I still want to meet and chew the cud with about various projects (as was amply displayed in the boxout on what else he's worked on). Thoroughly looking forward to the Marble Madness piece next month.

Only thing I could spot was that Stuart obviously hasn't played the Princess Peach DS game regarding his comment in SMB2 about it being the only game (bar Smash Bros) where she isn't imprisoned in a castle ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:47 pm

Mayhem wrote:Enjoyed the issue, especially the Making Of Star Wars with Mike Hally... one of those small collection of guys I still want to meet and chew the cud with about various projects (as was amply displayed in the boxout on what else he's worked on). Thoroughly looking forward to the Marble Madness piece next month.

Only thing I could spot was that Stuart obviously hasn't played the Princess Peach DS game regarding his comment in SMB2 about it being the only game (bar Smash Bros) where she isn't imprisoned in a castle ;)
Technically, you could also include Yoshi's Island DS there too, seeing as she stars in it as a baby.

Another nit-picking gripe from me is in the King Of Kong feature. On page 44, in the 'Be The King Of Kong' boxout at the top to be precise, the order of screenshots 3, 4 and 5 have been messed up.

And a quick question about Domark's conversion of Star Wars on the ZX Spectrum....was sound added to later editions of it or something? I remember playing a borrowed copy when it first came out, and sure enough, no sound. But I bought my own copy a couple of years later as part of a 'Star Wars Trilogy' set that Domark released and it definitely has laser firing and explosion sound effects.....weird.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

yethboth

Re: Unofficial feedback for issue 52

Post by yethboth » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:23 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Very happy this arrived this morning. Had a quick flick through, great to see a 2 page spread of a preview of boyo's retro show.

Nice star wars games roundup (part 1), like the 'why you must play' on Escape from the planet of the robot monsters (great game)

Bit confused what the Retro Gamer Collection vol 2 is ? What was vol 1 ? Is this different from the 'best bits of retro gamer' ?

Says its the best games from 1979-2008 so could be a good chunk of retro gamer and some of the latest classics.

And best of all theres some great phone adverts to call in the back ;) (Joking !)

Next months looks cool with Boulderdash

Can we order the retro gamer collection vol 2 from the imagine shop ? Nothing there yet. Just the nearest Smiths to me is milesss away (we live in the country)
It's basically the best features from various issues, similar to the original retro gamer vol 1. I'd imagine it will be available to order from the imagine shop on Monday.

Will the official issue 52 feedback thread be appearing tommorrow? I would like to see what the front cover looks like please.

Thanks.

:)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:27 am

markopoloman wrote:Here you go unlucky non-subscribers (and those with crappy postmen or in weird far away lands).........

As much as I love Starwars, I have never been a huge fan of the games - except the origional arcade one............ SO the making of that was right up my street.
Back to the 80's and 90's were brilliant as usual.

Retrorevival on Spindizzy was much much better than usual ones - with screenshots from C64, Speccy and CPC - I can guess what screenshot came from what machine, but maybe a little pointer on the page would help others that wouldn't have a clue.

VERY nice two pager on the Retro Fusion event coming up with an interview with Boyo - looking forward to this BIGTIME!!

Overall - pretty yummy issue! (Although not overly keen on the cover)

:roll:

Woops, silly me, I missed this bit. Sorry. :roll:

Another quick question, will the Bargain Hunt section be receiving a makeover and be spiced up please?

Thanks.

:)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:10 am

Haven't read the thread so not sure what the views on the cover are, but I really don't like it. One of the worst for me.

chokocat

Gatchaman

Post by chokocat » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:00 am

Hi,

I have a question: on page 8 from what support (a computer I guess?) is the "Battle of the Planets" screenshot taken? Thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers,

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:02 am

Some great content again this issue.. looking forward to the SW round-up. Only read the King of Kong piece right through and it was really well done - glad Jay spoke to all the major players in the saga, to not have done so would have undermined the article somewhat. All the interviewees (partcularly a rather gracious Day) came across well I thought bar the slightly niggly statements from Mitchell about Steve Weibe (concerning the 'break-in') - I don't think he did himself any favours with those who sided with Steve in the film!