Any chance of a feature on.. *submit name here*

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

luth714

Post by luth714 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:35 pm

I'd love to see something on the history of Gargoyle Games, covering all their releases and more importantly, those we never saw such as the Heavy On The Magick expansion packs and the rest of the Siege Of Earth trilogy...I wonder if any work was done on these at all.

I'd also like to know what happened to Samurai Dawn. as I'm convinced this probably became Thundercats for Elite

Would love to see a full indepth article on Denton Designs and all of there output - the Ally Noble article was great and very tantalising (will someone put her Bandersnatch graphics together so we can see how it would have looked?) and I always thought that Denton, although having a patchy output, were interesting and really had that "programmers as rock stars" air several years before the Bitmap Brothers (though Denton always looked more like the Electric Mayhem)

Full Joffa Smith article as he was always an absolute hero of mine - I know it got slated, but I loved Terra Cresta as it was the closest I could get to playing UFO Robo Dangar on my Spectrum that I'd played just once on holiday in Spain and never forgot. And because he had his own personality to the games, with the rubber ducks, game under stuff.

A history of Design Design and what happened to them would be great.

A history of Digital Image Design - I loved F29 Retaliator and Robocop 3, Epic was a big disappointment but there's probably a story in that in its self (I had that PD disk of cut scenes that was kicking around about 2 years before it came out when it was first advertised) It looked like the greatest space opera ever to me.

Space Quest series as I loved the second and third on the Amiga, though never got to play any others.

More on Cinemaware and their scattered output at the end (could never find any info on Rollerbabes or whether it became anything, though I'm sure their last two TV sports games got a release under a different name)

Dinamic and Toposoft, as even though their games were often super difficult to the verge of being unplayable, they usually looked great and had a completely different aesthetic and feel to the UK games. Great loading screens too!

Would love to know what happened to the Batman graphic adventure for the Spectrum.

A thumbs up from me for Pete Cooke too.

I'd much rather read really indepth articles spread across 2 or 3 issues, rather than an article which either doesn't do its subject justice or doesn't go into enough depth...though I can understand from an editorial point of view you can't have too many split articles running across countless issues, especially if you've purchased the magazine for the first time.

RolyRoly

Post by RolyRoly » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:34 pm

Rodland.

I really liked that game on the Amiga. :)
Yeah that's what I said, but don't hold me to it. ;-)

superstarbeejay

Post by superstarbeejay » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:50 pm

Heroes of might and magic series please.

I don't think it's been in retro gamer yet.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:50 pm

Some good suggestions there, luth, and talking of Epic makes me think of an ongoing series of articles that talks about games that didn't match the hype.

I remember Epic was heavily advertised and touted as having branching missions, where failure didn't meant the end of the game, the example being that supply ships destroyed by enemies would have an impact later on in the game (although I don't think it ever really did) and stuff.

You could also include a lot of Molyneux's creations in there too :wink:

And I'm going to say the Shining Force family of games, again!

luth714

Post by luth714 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:41 am

Wasn't there a branching thing on the first mission on Epic? If you failed to destroy the radar station it sent you straight to the final battle where you had absolutely no chance of defending yourself and the big ships against such a massive onslaught?

Unfortunately it was one of those that by the time it came out I was really unsure whether it was any good, I remember either CU Amiga or Amiga Format giving it a suspiciously amazing review, whereas everyone else seemed to feel it was a failure, so I never bought it. Think I played it on a pirate so didn't know where I had to go for the missions...then picked up a copy many man years later when my Amiga was giving up the ghost.

Did anyone ever play the F-29 mission disc which came with Zero? That had you flying over an area near Russian airspace where a mysterious craft had crashed...then it call kicked off and you had a load of alien craft heavily attacking you - I'm sure the alien ship designs were based on Klingon and Romulan ships.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:22 pm

luth714 wrote:Wasn't there a branching thing on the first mission on Epic? If you failed to destroy the radar station it sent you straight to the final battle where you had absolutely no chance of defending yourself and the big ships against such a massive onslaught?

Unfortunately it was one of those that by the time it came out I was really unsure whether it was any good, I remember either CU Amiga or Amiga Format giving it a suspiciously amazing review, whereas everyone else seemed to feel it was a failure, so I never bought it. Think I played it on a pirate so didn't know where I had to go for the missions...then picked up a copy many man years later when my Amiga was giving up the ghost.

Did anyone ever play the F-29 mission disc which came with Zero? That had you flying over an area near Russian airspace where a mysterious craft had crashed...then it call kicked off and you had a load of alien craft heavily attacking you - I'm sure the alien ship designs were based on Klingon and Romulan ships.
Epic was a fantastic game , it really was - the graphics and gameplay was amazing , with a large world to explore and massive flagships to dodge and weave inbetween and around.

Unfortunately it was massively broken for one stupid , simple reason. ach mission had a severely restrictive time-limit , allowing the player barely time to reach the intended destination , ignoring the amazing landscape around them

Crazy , absolutely crazy....
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:09 am

Muteki wrote:?! The arcade version is king, it'd surely be the first choice for a feature over any of its ports.
Well, no - the 32X version has more tracks, and is clearly superior to the original coin-op in every respect except graphical.

Would be great to see coverage of Firefox, especially with decent instructions on how to get it running via emulation. Daphne is an ENORMOUS pain in the backside to get working, but games like Firefox and MACH 3 deserve to be remembered.

JD!

Post by JD! » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:33 am

I'd love to see articles on

* The Myst series
* The Pitfall series
* Prince of Persia
* Music in Video Games

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:17 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
Muteki wrote:<Virtua Racing> The arcade version is king, it'd surely be the first choice for a feature over any of its ports.
Well, no - the 32X version has more tracks, and is clearly superior to the original coin-op in every respect except graphical.
I've never played the 32X version, but my point was, surely if you're going to do an article about Virtua Racing you're going to focus on the impact the original had in the arcades in 1992, rather than a home port from two years later.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:44 am

Why? Why not write about the best one, in the course of which you would naturally talk about the arcade game anyway? The arcade version was first, but it wasn't "king" - at least two of the sequels are better games. The most sensible thing to do, obviously, is write a piece about Virtua Racing in general, not any individual title.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:47 am

JD! wrote:* Music in Video Games
AARGHH! SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:13 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:Why? Why not write about the best one, in the course of which you would naturally talk about the arcade game anyway? The arcade version was first, but it wasn't "king" - at least two of the sequels are better games. The most sensible thing to do, obviously, is write a piece about Virtua Racing in general, not any individual title.
That's the sort of thing I'd love to read.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:32 pm

JD! wrote:I'd love to see articles on

* The Myst series
* The Pitfall series
* Prince of Persia
* Music in Video Games
Pitfall has already had a making of. gamesTM did a big feature on Prince of Persia. And you'll have to be a bit more specific than just "music in video games". Licensed tracks? Samples? 8-bit maestros like Rob Hubbard. Narrow it down to one aspect, and you're more likely to see an article on it.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:32 pm

merman wrote:Pitfall has already had a making of.
As did the sequel, unless I hallucinated writing that feature.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

merman

Post by merman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:47 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
merman wrote:Pitfall has already had a making of.
As did the sequel, unless I hallucinated writing that feature.
Hang on, I'll just check this spreadsheet created by a Mr C. Grannell that tells me what articles have been in Retro Gamer ;)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube