Issue 23 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mr. Pointless

Post by Mr. Pointless » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:28 pm

Haven't had time to read a lot of the mag, but the Worms feature is great (First time I played it was the Ocean-published GB version), I wish I could import Border Down now and I'll be giving that SNES feature more attention when I can.
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:10 pm

craigritchie wrote:
revgiblet wrote: I have to say, in John's defence, that the criticism he's had has been some of the most aggressive and comprehensive I've seen on this forum. I guess that's because he's been writing about situations that are going to strike a personal chord with people.
Yeah, I guess "blatant innaccuracies" was a bit harsh. But hey, I'd just read the article and was fuelled up... you know how it is.
Quite. But at least you and Weblaus (one of the last people to cross swords with John) made coherent points and were able to sort things out directly with John.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

NorthWay

Re:

Post by NorthWay » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:56 pm

Weblaus wrote:Well, another empty mailbox day for me...

Has any non-UK-subscriber received issue #23 yet?
Got mine today.

Already read the Gauntlet article. So why on earth were the other 8-bits dropped and not commented on? Does the Amstrad port scroll fast and smooth?
And how convenient to drop the Amiga version since it was "II" and not "I" even after all about how II was mainly more levels and the same people were drafted in to do it.

Why not include the specs of the arcade to better show how hard it is to convert?
Was this one of the articles you had to cut down to not go over 6 pages?
One has to wonder why people even bother to go on such a mammoth task without the source - headshaking stuff.

You're on to a winning formula here, but there was no mention of a follow-up for next issue? (How about Marble Madness? I know the Amiga version was converted from source.)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:28 pm

NorthWay wrote:
Weblaus wrote:Well, another empty mailbox day for me...

Has any non-UK-subscriber received issue #23 yet?
Got mine today.

Already read the Gauntlet article. So why on earth were the other 8-bits dropped and not commented on? Does the Amstrad port scroll fast and smooth?
And how convenient to drop the Amiga version since it was "II" and not "I" even after all about how II was mainly more levels and the same people were drafted in to do it.

Why not include the specs of the arcade to better show how hard it is to convert?
Was this one of the articles you had to cut down to not go over 6 pages?
One has to wonder why people even bother to go on such a mammoth task without the source - headshaking stuff.

You're on to a winning formula here, but there was no mention of a follow-up for next issue? (How about Marble Madness? I know the Amiga version was converted from source.)
Sorry mate, I'm not entirely sure what you're upset about...
The developers spent most of their time tlaking about the Amstrad version as that was their favourite. As for the Amiga version. Well, I was under the impression that it was never actually released.

We could have listed some stats, but why include a list that wont make sense to may readers? It state's quite clearly in the article how powerful the original arcade game was when compared to the 8-bit versions.

It's always tricky to guage how long an article should be, but six pages seemed more than adequate and certainly more than the measely two pages that appeared in the original Retro Gamer.

Just because something isn't on the next month page, it doesn't mean it's not in the next issue.

rainbird rich

Re: Issue 23 article

Post by rainbird rich » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:26 am

Stellaking wrote:
Speaking of Zenobi... How about a in depth feature in a future issue of the mag ? I believe its warrented, they issued quite a lot of those old skool txt based adventures for the Spectum and others platforms
An article all about Zenobi was one of my suggestions to the former editor of RG when it was at Live Publishing well over 18 months ago now.

I've known the Rochdale Balrog for over 20 years and even helped him kickstart the very first Zenobi release - The Secret of Little Hodcome in the late 80s.
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

rainbird rich

Post by rainbird rich » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:28 am

Stellaking wrote:
Not sure about Amstrad Action... Was more more of a Spectrum mag reader but yeah the Balrog is the guy behind Zenobi.

Lets have a feature in a future issue.
Ah, no actually. Different Balrog!
Richard H.
Memories of Telecomsoft

rainbird rich

Re:

Post by rainbird rich » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:29 am

RandySparks wrote: The Level 9 article was a good example of how to do this. Part 1 concentrated on their origins and their 8-bit games, and part 2 looked at their 16-bit games and their eventual collapse.
That was a happy accident. My article was just too big for one issue and that seemed like the logical place to chop it into two. Glad somebody liked it though! :D
Richard H.
Memories of Telecomsoft

romanista

Post by romanista » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:09 am

Report form Holland: arrived today.. will report soon

two things from the next motnth page:

gremlon graphics? we already had a large article in issue 3 (i know along time ago, but it was pretty complete and had a cd full of gremlin's stuff, what to improve?

and yeah! stu's article on gradius..
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:11 am

romanista wrote:Report form Holland: arrived today.. will report soon

two things from the next motnth page:

gremlon graphics? we already had a large article in issue 3 (i know along time ago, but it was pretty complete and had a cd full of gremlin's stuff, what to improve?

and yeah! stu's article on gradius..
There's never been a feature on Gremlin. Just a Ten of the best to accompnay that month's coverdisc.

Oh and don't worry, Stuart's article is DEFINATELY in the next issue

romanista

Post by romanista » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:09 pm

just adding the link to campbell's trashman travels: http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.c ... ashman.htm

worms article is great (even though i'm not that fond of the game), as is the fishing thing,

and i update my site, MacRetro. so that macusers can fulfil their snes needs, see http://www.xs4all.nl/~rick6/MR2/

John S, spreek je ook afrikaans?
I wondered about the south africa piece.. without wanting to go into south africa's politics, it seemed to be focussed on the afrikaners. I am curious if their was a gaming scene in the townships as well?

(and got mentioned in the forum, yeah)
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

Stellaking

Post by Stellaking » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:25 pm

rainbird rich wrote:
Stellaking wrote:
Not sure about Amstrad Action... Was more more of a Spectrum mag reader but yeah the Balrog is the guy behind Zenobi.

Lets have a feature in a future issue.
Ah, no actually. Different Balrog!
Ahhh.... John Wilson aka Rochdale Balrog, biggest adventure game producer in the UK, even the world at one point.

I also emailed about a feature around issue 12 time, can't recall getting a reply tho.

Stellaking

Post by Stellaking » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:42 pm

rainbird rich wrote:
Stellaking wrote:
Speaking of Zenobi... How about a in depth feature in a future issue of the mag ? I believe its warrented, they issued quite a lot of those old skool txt based adventures for the Spectum and others platforms
An article all about Zenobi was one of my suggestions to the former editor of RG when it was at Live Publishing well over 18 months ago now.

I've known the Rochdale Balrog for over 20 years and even helped him kickstart the very first Zenobi release - The Secret of Little Hodcome in the late 80s.
Cool... :) "evening gov'nor"

carrierdown

Post by carrierdown » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:40 pm

I started subscribing to your great mag with this issue, and must say I'm very pleased with it. Particularly the articles on Worms and Ocean were a great read.
I do have one criticism though, and that is the use of jpeg-images with obvious compression artifacts for screenshots. This isn't so much a problem with the smaller screenshots, but when blown up to a larger size it really spoils the image (and the fun of studying it).
For some obvious examples, look at the screenshots in the ocean feature (among others, the Rainbow Islands screenshot).

Overall though, I really love retro gamer and I can't remember the last time I was so stoked about reading a magazine. Keep up the amazing work!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:12 pm

carrierdown wrote:I started subscribing to your great mag with this issue, and must say I'm very pleased with it. Particularly the articles on Worms and Ocean were a great read.
I do have one criticism though, and that is the use of jpeg-images with obvious compression artifacts for screenshots. This isn't so much a problem with the smaller screenshots, but when blown up to a larger size it really spoils the image (and the fun of studying it).
For some obvious examples, look at the screenshots in the ocean feature (among others, the Rainbow Islands screenshot).

Overall though, I really love retro gamer and I can't remember the last time I was so stoked about reading a magazine. Keep up the amazing work!
Apologies for the poor images, this will be corrected from the next issue :)

VinnyM

Re:

Post by VinnyM » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:08 am

Szczepaniak wrote:
craigritchie wrote:
Szczepaniak wrote:Lots of words.
Response to words.
Cool, no problem. :)
For what's it's worth, I LOVE your artcle. I know S.F.A. about retro gaming around the world and so at least I'M enlightend.

Keep up the good work ;)
Fancy viewing some Commodore 64 game endings? http://www.c64endings.co.uk
Old C64 games refreshed and revived: http://www.c64endings.freeolamail.com/h ... yhacks.htm