Issue 23 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:05 am

revgiblet wrote:Yes, seems that the subs copies are going to arrive today. Mine has come through in a spiffy plastic bag.
Not mine [shakes fist in general direction of Post Office]. Damn you postman! Damn you and all your kind [shakes fist again].

VinnyM

Post by VinnyM » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:57 am

Got mine YESTERDAY from WHSmith :)
Fancy viewing some Commodore 64 game endings? http://www.c64endings.co.uk
Old C64 games refreshed and revived: http://www.c64endings.freeolamail.com/h ... yhacks.htm

RandySparks

Re:

Post by RandySparks » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:18 am

Ash wrote:Kudos to Darran for bigging up Batty this month. My brother and I were addicted to the C64 version and I honestly believed that we were the only people to know about it as I've never heard anyone mention it since. It was a real shock to see that massive screen staring me in the face. Oh the memories!
Batty was featured in the special issue of Your Sinclair that came free with an old issue of RG (issue 9?), and the Spectrum version was included on the coverdisc of the same issue.

Such a great game... better than the 8-bit Arkanoid games IMO.

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:23 am

RandySparks wrote:
Ash wrote:Kudos to Darran for bigging up Batty this month. My brother and I were addicted to the C64 version and I honestly believed that we were the only people to know about it as I've never heard anyone mention it since. It was a real shock to see that massive screen staring me in the face. Oh the memories!
Batty was featured in the special issue of Your Sinclair that came free with an old issue of RG (issue 9?), and the Spectrum version was included on the coverdisc of the same issue.

Such a great game... better than the 8-bit Arkanoid games IMO.
I have that magazine so I'll have to give it another read...it must have passed me by the first time. Going to get the game running on the GP2X tonight too. :)

Weblaus

Re:

Post by Weblaus » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:28 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:
revgiblet wrote:Yes, seems that the subs copies are going to arrive today. Mine has come through in a spiffy plastic bag.
Not mine [shakes fist in general direction of Post Office]. Damn you postman! Damn you and all your kind [shakes fist again].
Didn't get mine yet, either... :cry:

Of course, I'm located in Germany, so it's bound to take a little while longer, but I hope it's only a day (I think the previous issues usually came in one day after UK delivery) or at worst two, I'd be so happy to get it for the week-end..

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:01 am

Got mine today :D

Thank you mr postie :D

Matt M

Post by Matt M » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:24 am

Another fantasic issue. Much enjoyed the SNES article :)
"Paris in the Fall, The city holds many memories for me: of cafes, of music, of love... and of death."

forestville

Post by forestville » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:55 pm

Very cool 8) issue of RG i most enjoyed the April 1986 feature and also the snes feature, i especially like the retrorevival double spread pages (Batty on the zx spectrum) pages 24-25 and finally the gauntlet conversions was cool 8) there was a gauntlet like game on the amiga but i can not remember the name of it,
an overrule enjoyable mag cheers.

8)
Press play on tape

usagi13

Post by usagi13 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:46 am

Picked up the new issue last night. Well done chaps, it was a great read. Enjoyed the article on Ocean immensely and it nearly bought tears to my eyes looking at games that I used to play in my youth.
The balance between Consoles and Computers in this months mag was nigh on perfect! More of the same please! :D

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:13 am

usagi13 wrote:Picked up the new issue last night. Well done chaps, it was a great read. Enjoyed the article on Ocean immensely and it nearly bought tears to my eyes looking at games that I used to play in my youth.
The balance between Consoles and Computers in this months mag was nigh on perfect! More of the same please! :D
This months issue looks like one of the best yet. Haven't read it entirely yet (only had it a few hours) but have read a fair bit. Desert Island Disks is excellent as was the Snes article. Only gripe is that the Ocean feature was abit of a let down. Probably the weakest of the developer features so far. Even just glancing at the Ocean softography I can see a whole raft of missing formats and wrong dates. A great shame.

Stellaking

Issue 23 article

Post by Stellaking » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:49 am

Firstly thanks for the free 3 issues sent by Imagine publishing with regards the folding of live & the subs problem it created... Imagine didnt really have to do this but that was a nice gesture and very much appreciated.

Just wanted to say I saw the Neo-Geo.com article on page 107 in the current issue and its one of my fav sites... It was only last week I posted a thread in the sites unrelated topics forum about retro gamer magazine, with info on the live folding and how the mag is back up and running plus links to this site among others... World of spectrum and the sublime zenobi.co.uk site (home of the furry one)

Speaking of Zenobi... How about a in depth feature in a future issue of the mag ? I believe its warrented, they issued quite a lot of those old skool txt based adventures for the Spectum and others platforms
Last edited by Stellaking on Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Weblaus

Re:

Post by Weblaus » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:24 am

Weblaus wrote:Of course, I'm located in Germany, so it's bound to take a little while longer, but I hope it's only a day (I think the previous issues usually came in one day after UK delivery) or at worst two, I'd be so happy to get it for the week-end..
Well, so much for the week-end, still no sign of issue #23 in this part of Germany... [sobs uncontrollably]

chinnyhill10

Re: Issue 23 article

Post by chinnyhill10 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:50 am

Stellaking wrote: Speaking of Zenobi... How about a in depth feature in a future issue of the mag ? I believe its warrented, they issued quite a lot of those old skool txt based adventures for the Spectum and others platforms
I think I'm correct in saying that Zenobi was run by the chap who also wrote the adventure column in Amstrad Action under the name of "The Balrog".

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:30 pm

Anyone spotted any April Fool articles?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

KW

Re: Issue 23 article

Post by KW » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:45 pm

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Stellaking wrote: Speaking of Zenobi... How about a in depth feature in a future issue of the mag ? I believe its warrented, they issued quite a lot of those old skool txt based adventures for the Spectum and others platforms
I think I'm correct in saying that Zenobi was run by the chap who also wrote the adventure column in Amstrad Action under the name of "The Balrog".
I have suggested this to Darren, just need him to actually agree :P