Issue 23 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:28 pm

I too noticed what Swainy did regarding New Zealand Story. Still, when you think about it, they could have included New Zealand Story Extra (and Rainbow Islands Extra actually).

The top ten perfect games for the SNES were most interesting. Favouring Mario All Stars and SF Alpha II over popular choices Mario World and SF II was somewhat elitist even if they are, overall, better carts.

BTW, why do you hate Dig Dug so much, Darran? Granted it was no Mr Do! but it was hardly that bad and surely doesn't condone writting about in negative light on every other page.

-Steve Halfpenny
Double Dragon Dojo Guy

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:37 pm

Steve Halfpenny wrote:
The top ten perfect games for the SNES were most interesting. Favouring Mario All Stars and SF Alpha II over popular choices Mario World and SF II was somewhat elitist even if they are, overall, better carts.
It's just opinion Steve :) We're not being elitist, we're just pointing out some of the games we love playing. Hopefully it may even presuade people to track them down and see what all the fuss is about.
Steve Halfpenny wrote:
BTW, why do you hate Dig Dug so much, Darran? Granted it was no Mr Do! but it was hardly that bad and surely doesn't condone writting about in negative light on every other page.
-Steve Halfpenny
Double Dragon Dojo Guy[/quote]

Dig Dug is as dull as ditchwater (I'm not a huge fan of Space Invaders either). Yet for some reason, it get's all the kudos and remakes while the amazing Mr Do! is almost universally ignored. I just want to re-address the balance somewhat ;). And it's hardly every other page, I'm saving that for the BBC...

Steve Halfpenny

Re:

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:45 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: It's just opinion Steve :) We're not being elitist, we're just pointing out some of the games we love playing. Hopefully it may even presuade people to track them down and see what all the fuss is about.
I didn't say being elitist was a bad thing. Maybe it was the wrong word but I'm sure they'll be still a majority who play these games and still prefer Mario 4 and the original popular fighter, if only because nostalga takes over.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: Dig Dug is as dull as ditchwater (I'm not a huge fan of Space Invaders either). Yet for some reason, it get's all the kudos and remakes while the amazing Mr Do! is almost universally ignored. I just want to re-address the balance somewhat ;)
I can understand that to an extent. I think the original Space Invaders is incredibly dull but I wouldn't ignore it's importance (which you haven't to be fair). It's just that I think we get the message regarding Dig Dug at this point ;).

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:48 pm

Steve Halfpenny wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: It's just opinion Steve :) We're not being elitist, we're just pointing out some of the games we love playing. Hopefully it may even presuade people to track them down and see what all the fuss is about.
I didn't say being elitist was a bad thing. Maybe it was the wrong word but I'm sure they'll be still a majority who play these games and still prefer Mario 4 and the original popular fighter, if only because nostalga takes over.
Definately mate, I totally agree with you. Fortunately, it's our perfect ten, and not the perfect ten we hope everyone else is going to like. That might have been very different ;)

Wils

Post by Wils » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:14 pm

Someone has smited "Amstrad" from the list of platforms on the cover! Strike out their eyes! ;)

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:13 pm

cheeky_muffin wrote:Bit weird why the subscribers not getting theirs yet considering I bought mine in the newsagent yesterday.
Yes. Was surprised to see it in the newsie. I'm hoping for my first sub issue to arrive.

First mag I've subbed to since Amiga Format circa 1993 (and before that Amstrad Action).

Ash

Post by Ash » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:14 pm

I like Dig Dug. The music stops when you do and you get to inflate things until they pop. What's not to like?

Dig Dug DS is actually brilliant though. Seriously.
Last edited by Ash on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Halfpenny

Re:

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:19 pm

Ash wrote:I like Dig Dug. The music stops when you do and you get to inflate things until they pop. What's not to like?
LOL! That sums it up for me!

Hiroke

Post by Hiroke » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:58 pm

Bought the mag today and only got chance to have a proper look through it in bed tonight. And surprise surprise! This months Global Gaming feature focused on South Africa. Being a South African (living in England) it was a real treat to read. And, as I can't get to sleep, I decided to write my own article about my gaming life in South Africa. Keep a page open for me in the magazine!!! :wink:

PS: Baie dankie John vir die fantastiese artiekel.

theDarkness

Re:

Post by theDarkness » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:24 pm

chinnyhill10 wrote:
cheeky_muffin wrote:Bit weird why the subscribers not getting theirs yet considering I bought mine in the newsagent yesterday.

Yes. Was surprised to see it in the newsie. I'm hoping for my first sub issue to arrive. First mag I've subbed to since Amiga Format circa 1993 (and before that Amstrad Action).
When I got my 'free' issues of RG I think mine were generally received a few days after hitting the shelves... but then I live way up north... *hic*. dont feel too bad, half of the would-be subscribers just arent able to subscribe anyway- youre the lucky ones! eg- the visa electron, one of the most popular bank cards used by students today (certainly a major target group for RG) isnt accepted on the RG website for payment, and theres no mention on the page of being able to send a simple postal order either. lol! urk :? I hope it gets sorted soon

romanista

Re:

Post by romanista » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:18 am

Weblaus wrote:
LeeT wrote:I really hope the subs copies arrive tomorrow...
I take it this means UK subscribers didn't get the new issue today? The agony of waiting is even worse for mainland Europe readers when you know it hasn't even arrived yet for Brits... sigh.
to be fair: RG/Imagine is the first magazine which actually is able to get an issue to europe within a few days of release in the UK, RG/Live took more then ten days, amiga power in the day almost 2 weeks
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

Bleugh

Post by Bleugh » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:03 am

hehehe , can't comment, haven't received my monthly retro fix yet!!!!

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:47 am

Got mine today! :)

More later...

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:07 am

Yes, seems that the subs copies are going to arrive today. Mine has come through in a spiffy plastic bag.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Ash

Post by Ash » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:48 am

Kudos to Darran for bigging up Batty this month. My brother and I were addicted to the C64 version and I honestly believed that we were the only people to know about it as I've never heard anyone mention it since. It was a real shock to see that massive screen staring me in the face. Oh the memories!

While I'm here I'd also like to say that I really enjoyed the Ocean article but would have liked to have heard about the Ocean Loading Theme - surely the best thing about the company and the reason they didn't seem as good in the 32/64 bit days. ;)