Issue 23 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

romanista

Post by romanista » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:19 am

john, i missed the discussion above about your article, which makes my first comment (in dutch) a bit nonsense, and i'm never critisicing your article, but more interested in discussing it, and it always triggers my curiosity to know more....

keep up the good work!
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

RetroTrader.Com

Post by RetroTrader.Com » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:48 am

Good standard again guys , well done , my minor gripe , is that the article on Bloodwych , did not mentioned they are now exclusively signed to Alten8 / Retro-Soft , and will feature on the forth coming PC releases in the shops soon , but then no one asked me , so they probably did not know ! TAG is a really nice guy , and we have a few of their games signed to us , for Spectrum and C64 , which would have been out a lot sooner had I had my way , but we are sorting that now , as we are publishing a whole range of games ourselves now.

* todays job no.786 - mental note to self, must sort out a subscription to RG !

http://www.alten8.com

VinnyM

Post by VinnyM » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:32 am

Is it just me or did anyone else notice a sly advert being slid into this thread?

;)
Fancy viewing some Commodore 64 game endings? http://www.c64endings.co.uk
Old C64 games refreshed and revived: http://www.c64endings.freeolamail.com/h ... yhacks.htm

Szczepaniak

Re:

Post by Szczepaniak » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:36 am

romanista wrote:John S, spreek je ook afrikaans?
I wondered about the south africa piece.. without wanting to go into south africa's politics, it seemed to be focussed on the afrikaners. I am curious if their was a gaming scene in the townships as well?
My Afrikaans is very rusty, as pointed out before. I don't think it focused on Afrikaners though, since I'm an English South African! It focused more on middle class suburbia, regardless of race or language. I had a black friend, whose parents were well off, and he was a keen gamer like myself. We often traded games. But he lived in the nicer residential areas like I did.

I've no idea about "inside" the townships, my thinking is "unlikely".

Anyway, I'm always happy to discuss the finer points of anything I wasn't able to cover on the actual pages. :)

Hiroke

Post by Hiroke » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:00 am

Having grown up in South Africa and living there for 18 years, I can only give my opinion on this, so no guarantee that it's acurate. But as far as I know, there was a time that modern gaming was very much for the people who were well off. You were considered lucky to have a Sega Megadrive when it came out, same with the Playstation and even more so when the PS2 was launched. I remember that I was one of only two students in our class (of 35) to have a PS2 when it was launched.

But as new consoles are being launched the older 8 and 16-bit consoles (mostly clones and not real Nintendo or Sega consoles) get cheaper and cheaper. So I can imagine that in our world of PS2's and XBoxes, there might be some childeren in townships playing knock-off Famicom games.

Like I said, I am only giving my opinion and may be wrong.

RetroTrader.Com

Post by RetroTrader.Com » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:57 am

Well maybe just a little one :oops:

but I did then go and get a whole years sub :D

Weblaus

Re:

Post by Weblaus » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:10 pm

I know that probably nobody cares that much about it, but as of Wednesday afternoon, still no issue #23 for this German subscriber... :cry:

Mr. Pointless

Post by Mr. Pointless » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:24 pm

Seeing all this talk of South Africa is making me feel like I need to read about it more... :oops:
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:32 pm

I don't know, after all the moaning about previous compilation reviews being too basic, we go overboard with Taito Legends 2 and no one says anything. Fickle, that's you lot :wink:

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:34 pm

I get the impression after all these years that people speak a lot more to complain ;)

(ie. you get no feedback, it usually means something went well!)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Hiroke

Post by Hiroke » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:14 pm

To be honest, I did consider buying Taito Legends, but I already have both Taito Memories. There need to be more compilations like that. Capcom Classics Collection is pretty good. Here's hoping for a Vol.2.

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:42 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I don't know, after all the moaning about previous compilation reviews being too basic, we go overboard with Taito Legends 2 and no one says anything. Fickle, that's you lot :wink:
Well I was actually planning on complimenting the in-house team for getting the Outrun 2006 review spot on. Probably won't bother now though. ;)

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:47 pm

Just bought my copy from WHSmith's today and had a qwik flik through. I can already smell the quality, and I like it! The SNES coverage (what I've read so far) is excellent, and the making of Worms I find very interesting as it's the greatest amiga game ever.

I was glad that Taito Legends and Outrun 2006 got ridiculously high scores as they have been high priority purchases for me these past couple couple of weeks (especially Outrun 2006. Loved Outrun 2 as a coin-op, and I have a steering wheel!). I could have got both but I couldn't find Taito Legends 2 in HMV (their reward card scheme is better than Game's, so I now buy new games from them), so I settled for both PS2 and PSP versions of Outrun 2006. I actually played the PS2 Outrun a few days ago and loved it, so I gave the PSP version for a spin this evening. It's still cool but the frame rate sucks! :x

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:32 pm

pottyboy wrote:Just bought my copy from WHSmith's today and had a qwik flik through. I can already smell the quality, and I like it! The SNES coverage (what I've read so far) is excellent, and the making of Worms I find very interesting as it's the greatest amiga game ever.
Thankyou and thankyou. :)

rainbird rich

Re:

Post by rainbird rich » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:48 pm

You're right - nobody told me but then 99% of the article was actually researched and written last summer so it might not have happened back then?
RetroTrader.Com wrote:Good standard again guys , well done , my minor gripe , is that the article on Bloodwych , did not mentioned they are now exclusively signed to Alten8 / Retro-Soft , and will feature on the forth coming PC releases in the shops soon , but then no one asked me , so they probably did not know ! TAG is a really nice guy , and we have a few of their games signed to us , for Spectrum and C64 , which would have been out a lot sooner had I had my way , but we are sorting that now , as we are publishing a whole range of games ourselves now.

* todays job no.786 - mental note to self, must sort out a subscription to RG !

http://www.alten8.com
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft