Issue 23 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:49 am

Regarding the Full of Easten Promise feature. What the hell is that character - "Poychi Robo"? Am I the only one who doesn't get it?

C4

Post by C4 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:33 pm

I enjoyed the issue, especially the Super NES RetroInspection. I am looking forward to the Game Boy Color RetroInspection.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:51 pm

Its taken me over two weeks but at long last.....

Radar - Quiet month really. Not sure whether I will bother with those Gamepark handhelds. I'm a bit disappointed with the GP2X.

America Free - I'm not that impressed with this column. I get the feeling that there is no real structure to it and the topics are just brought out of nowhere.

Archer - Good insight into the IK+ cheats.

Global Gaming - Another good one from John. Hopefully this isn't going to disappear from RG?

Back To The Eighties - This regular is always consistently great.

Revival - I love a good Breakout clone and 1987 was the best time with Arkanoid, Traz, Impact and Batty being released around the same time. Super Mario World is (of course) a classic and I always thought Space Harrier was only truly great with the hydraulic cabinet in the arcades.

Making of Worms - The article didn't seem to mention what Andy is up to these days. However a good feature.

Cheap as Chips - My local Gamestation had this game in a few days ago. I think I'll give it a miss. There are plenty of other fish in the sea (groan!).

Magic Moments - I've only played Gunstar Heroes very briefly but fancy having another bash at it.

Developer Lookback - I was slightly disappointed with the article. The early days seem to have been rushed until the console releases. I would have liked more mention of the Street Hawk/Knight Rider debacle, as well as the takeover of Imagine. Though I do understand its hard to fit in over fifteen years history into six pages.

SNES - I know that there has been a few grumbles about this on other forums, but I found it quite informative (having missed out on the SNES at the time). Two of my faves (Super Mario Kart and Axelay are in the Top 10).

Making of Bloodwych - My memories of this game are quite vague but the article refreshed them. Very good.

Eastern Promise - Looks like my type of game!

Conversion Capers - An excellent start! Great to hear the programmers talking as well as the comparisons between versions.

Company Profile - I always thought Palace were quite odd as they produced a few decent games but were very mysterious. Nice revelation about the bikini!

Making of MULE - I was never interested in this game when it first came out but I'll probably come back to this on another read.

Good God! - I wasn't really interested in this, to be honest. It seemed to be padded out with big screenshots.

Desert Island Disks - Malcolm seems like a nice chap and although a lot has been written about him over the last year or so, its always a pleasure to hear his thoughts.

Rated - Slightly better this month with a true compilation and Outrun 2006.

Scene - Good as always. I'll be avoiding that 9% game!

Bargain Hunt - Same thoughts as last month and the month before that. It should only appear once every two or three issues.

Overall - I definetly think the shift towards more company and programmer profiles is a good idea. I think America Free and Bargain Hunt need to be rejigged, as they seem a bit out of place. Otherwise a very good issue of RG.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:29 am

Bargain hunt needs to be fired out of a cannon into the sun ;)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:06 am

Dudley wrote:Bargain hunt needs to be fired out of a cannon into the sun ;)
:lol:

I like Retro Auction watch. As long as you keep this then I don't really mind what you do with Bargain Hunt.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

White Demon

Re:

Post by White Demon » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:33 am

big1aust wrote:Still no first sub issue has arrived and neither have my back issues - obviously 14 days is a lot shorter in the publishing world than in the real world. So sad :cry:
Kai wrote:I'm still waiting, too. :cry:
Szczepaniak wrote:No issue today for me either... Will have to wait until Monday.

I've not even had a letter confirming anything, meaning I don't even know which issue the sub is supposed to start on. :?
Oh, so I'm not the only one then?

The past three issues of my sub have always arrived either on or just before the UK release date, but two weeks after issue 23's street date and I ain't got mine yet.

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:50 am

LeeT wrote:Making of Worms - The article didn't seem to mention what Andy is up to these days. However a good feature.
I tried to get Andy to tell me what he's up to these days but he managed to dodge the questions quite well. As revealed in the interview - he has been working on concepts for new games and has a top secret project on the go. I suspect he'll let the world know through his own website first, which can be found at www.slightlytwisted.co.uk

I'd love to see him make a new Amiga game but seeing as it took five years to make Worms I won't be holding my breath.

bolda

Re:

Post by bolda » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:09 am

Ash wrote:Regarding the Full of Easten Promise feature. What the hell is that character - "Poychi Robo"? Am I the only one who doesn't get it?
Read that article last night and the jury's still out. The facts were all in there, but the article didn't read fluently - as if written by someone who isn't a native english speaker. I'm no scholar of the english language, so it's significant if even I notice it!

Could you talk proper like what I do? :wink:
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

S3M

Re:

Post by S3M » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:18 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: Again, it's opinion. You think my score was too generous, I think you're wrong. See how that works ;)
Oh, and check the intro side bar, on the far left of the page, Galactic Attack is mentioned there...

Cheers for all the comments though, it's nice when someone takes the time to post something constructive other than simply saying 'that's censored'
Keep them all coming :)
So that's were you hid the name changes, just for the record I'll give you it's fourth name "Gunlock" (European Arcade). Does any one know why it had so many name changes????

I just thought I give you some constructive feedback, as being a website owner I know how hard it is to get sometimes, hope it helps. :wink:

Now hopefully my brother can find Taito Legends 2, in the shops today.

C4

Re:

Post by C4 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:20 pm

S3M wrote:Couple of mistakes in the SNES feature, one being that Yoshi’s Island was released in Dec 1995 not 1996 in the UK. It was released along side Donkey Kong Country 2 in 1995, as both games advertised one another. It was far from being the SNES last hurrah. (I’ll even dig out my old NMS if you want 100% proof)
Both Donkey Kong Country 2 and Yoshi's Island slipped to early January 1996.
S3M wrote:The other point I was surprise was not in the feature was Christmas 1993 was the year the SNES really took off. Partly thanks to the Street Fighter 2 Turbo and the Super Mario All Star SNES packs being launched at £100 each and partly thanks to Sega idiocy. Nintendo also backup the SNES’s new price with the Rik Mayall advertising campaign.

Sega made a big mistake that Christmas by saying that it was no threat to the MD priced at £130 with no game and they were looking forward to a good Christmas. (A business decision that sadly was a sign of things to come)

You can guess what happened, the SNES outsold the MD and shortly after Christmas Sega quickly reduced the MD’s price.
The Mega Drive quickly recovered and by mid-1994, both it and the Amiga 1200 briefly outsold the Super NES.
S3M wrote:I’m pretty sure Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 was the last SFC game release, Capcom also supported it up to 1998 with Rockman and Forte being their last SFC game.
The last Super NES title was released during 2000 and was a remake of a minor NES hit.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:27 pm

Was the last MD title in the UK Fifa 98?
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:33 pm

An excellent read, as always. Particularly enjoyed the 'Making Ofs' and 'Global Gaming' as usual.

Plus, on page 105, if you take a quick peek at the little screenshot from NTSC-UK, you'll spy a Sonic Rush screenie. If you can manage to read that first line of text accompanying said screenshot, you'll see the words "by Chris Pickering" at the end of that first line. Always nice to spot my name in a mag :wink:

S3M

Re:

Post by S3M » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:46 pm

C4 wrote:Both Donkey Kong Country 2 and Yoshi's Island slipped to early January 1996.
Yeah I know they were delayed, but depending on what part of Europe you were in decided on when you got them. As German did get them in late December 1995, back then they treated the UK as a third world country when it came to game releases.

But it was quite a balls up by Ninetendo not to get their main Christmas games released on time.

Our the Amiga it sturs up a tear when ever it get mentioned, great machine.

On a side note got Taito Legends 2 at last, rather oddly Game had it in a buy one get one free offer.

big1aust

Re:

Post by big1aust » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:55 pm

White Demon wrote:
big1aust wrote:Still no first sub issue has arrived and neither have my back issues - obviously 14 days is a lot shorter in the publishing world than in the real world. So sad :cry:
Oh, so I'm not the only one then?

The past three issues of my sub have always arrived either on or just before the UK release date, but two weeks after issue 23's street date and I ain't got mine yet.
Pleased to report that I have got my back issues (and well worth the wait they were too) although the anticipation of my sub issue was a little premature as I made a mistake - on checking my sub letter I found that it doesn't start until next issue. Luckily my local newsagent had a copy so I'm now up to date.

Only got issue 14 missing (should be able to pick one up easy enough online), And of course , number 1 which I can't see me weighing out £25 for on ebay !!

Cheers
big1aust

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:13 pm

Summary time then (can't remember if someone has said it all before in this thread):

Can you drop the added "wear" graphics on the front. I get nervous about the condition of my mag.

Worms: Exclusive. Good. More. Gimme. (And you could have done a bit on what game won the AF compo and what AF said about why Worms didn't.)

Ocean: "Imagine, based in Liverpool, had a reputation for producing excellent games for the 8-bit machines with Renegade and Yie Ar Kung Fu just two of the classics" - WTF? No, not before Ocean bought them (or rather, bought the name).
Rambo bad? Wizball flick-screen? Target Renegade superb? Robocop music from advert? New Zealand Story falling short? Chase HQ well-chosen?
Someone here is _not_ a C= 64 or Amiga wo/man, that is for sure.

Bloodwych: Good. Gave me a little flashback to the old RG for some reason. "In the know" - erm???

Palace Software: Nice. But doesn't the Rimrunner game have a more interesting story as something else? I never thought Antiriad was anything like easy.

MULE: Nice to see you get Trip Hawkins speaking.

Good god: A bit of a scattergun approach, but a nice idea for an article anyway. You could try some other grouping variations of this later.

DID: Excellent as always.

Next month: Will be interesting to see if you can write anything about Eugene Jarvis that has not been done before.

So, another job well done then. It felt perhaps just a little quicker to read than last month?
The Big Article for me was Conversion Capers which holds loads of future potential too. If you go for a very widely ported game you can compare back and forth a lot, and if it had very few SKUs you can dig deeper into what made it and what was left out.