Official Feedback thread for Issue 51

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon May 26, 2008 7:37 am

Titan wrote:Oh yeah one thing I just thought about that kind of bugs me: the panning of the Zelda CD-I games in this issue's feature is just a tad hypocritical considering there was a whole article defending them back in Issue 27. Just struck me as odd.
My thoughts exactly!

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon May 26, 2008 7:44 am

To be fair, John wrote that piece and he freely admits to going against the general view of acceptance on the Zelda CD-I games.

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/ ... ldacdi.htm

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Mon May 26, 2008 9:41 am

To be honest, I don't think the CDi part of the article really lambasts the games (it certainly wasn't the intention), it simply tells it as it is. The games were filled dated looking cartoon sequences and dire-FMV (well, in the case of Zelda's Adventure).

Sadly, I didn't really have the space to go into detail about the few merits of the first two CDi games. But if I'm honest, I still think they're the weakest games in the series.

Titan

Post by Titan » Mon May 26, 2008 2:14 pm

Stuart@retrogamer wrote:To be honest, I don't think the CDi part of the article really lambasts the games (it certainly wasn't the intention), it simply tells it as it is. The games were filled dated looking cartoon sequences and dire-FMV (well, in the case of Zelda's Adventure).

Sadly, I didn't really have the space to go into detail about the few merits of the first two CDi games. But if I'm honest, I still think they're the weakest games in the series.
Fair enough then. I just sort of expected to see a small sort of reference to the article in #27, heck, might have helped back issue sales maybe :P Seriously though I didn't mean to step on any toes :wink:

SMASH BROS FRIEND CODE: 1075-2488-1508

Blumf

Post by Blumf » Mon May 26, 2008 3:48 pm

Just started reading issue 51.

I timed my holiday all wrong but at least on my return I had the latest RetroGamer to look forward to. Wow, that cover. I felt a bit like Charlie from 'The Chocolate Factory' finding the golden ticket. :)

Love the 'Fate of Atlantis' article, if the rest of the mag is up to that standard then I'll be very happy indeed.
Sometimes you need to say what needs saying, most times you just need to shut up and listen.

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Tue May 27, 2008 1:23 am

Titan wrote:
Stuart@retrogamer wrote:To be honest, I don't think the CDi part of the article really lambasts the games (it certainly wasn't the intention), it simply tells it as it is. The games were filled dated looking cartoon sequences and dire-FMV (well, in the case of Zelda's Adventure).

Fair enough then. I just sort of expected to see a small sort of reference to the article in #27, heck, might have helped back issue sales maybe :P Seriously though I didn't mean to step on any toes :wink:
In hindsight I think you're right, mentioning the article in issue 27 would have been a sensible thing :roll:

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Tue May 27, 2008 7:25 am

Did buy it in the end. Was more of interest than the preview suggested once I flicked through it. However Zelda is about as interesting as watching paint dry and I gave up halfway through the first page. Not the mags fault, it's just a nerdy game. No amount of gold on the cover distracts from that.

I did try to rub the gold off the cover to see if they had attempted the kind of trick Amiga Power had planned but alas it wouldn't budge.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Tue May 27, 2008 8:47 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:Did buy it in the end. Was more of interest than the preview suggested once I flicked through it. However Zelda is about as interesting as watching paint dry and I gave up halfway through the first page. Not the mags fault, it's just a nerdy game. No amount of gold on the cover distracts from that.

I did try to rub the gold off the cover to see if they had attempted the kind of trick Amiga Power had planned but alas it wouldn't budge.
You could say then that all that glitters isn't gold. :)
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Tue May 27, 2008 8:07 pm

unlike most here it seems, i do not like the shiny cover! :x

you see i'm slightly obsesive compulsive and the bloody thing shows up every single finger print...so every time i pick it up to read it, i then have to spend 20 mins wiping all the marks off! only to pick it back up and have to start all over again! :shock:

i thought at first the content of this months mag more than justified the price tag....but then once you add the therapy bills on top it gets a tad expensive! :(

:P
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Quaid

Post by Quaid » Wed May 28, 2008 8:55 am

How about buying two copies, Mohicankid? One to be framed or encased in carbonite, the other for casual browsing :)

I have a pristine copy that I just admire from afar

And then one in the bog...
"There was a time that was all the money in the world to me, now it's a day's pay...

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Wed May 28, 2008 12:17 pm

I don't like to be negative but Issue 51 was a real disappointment for me. I'd say it was the least interesting issue so far. The only articles that really interested me were the Crystal Castles & Dun Durach features. I don't feel I got my moneys worth this month. :(

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed May 28, 2008 1:57 pm

chinnyhill10 wrote: Think I'll have to have a flick through it in the newsagents when it comes out, but worrying that this is the first issue since I started buying the mag that has made me go "meh" when looking at the line-up.
fredghostmaster wrote:I don't like to be negative but Issue 51 was a real disappointment for me. I'd say it was the least interesting issue so far.
BennyTheGreek wrote:One of the best yet......

Cheers !!!!
Scapegoat wrote: 9/10 for the whole mag btw, a great read and a cracking range of topics.
RG 51 - The 'Marmite' issue ;)

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Wed May 28, 2008 2:53 pm

dont have any interest in any of it this month (last month i was into nearly everything tho so cant moan)

will still grab it tho...keeps the collection even and a few more pennies in the retrogamer coffers.

shiny covers always get ruined by me tho...buying the mag on the way to work and then being left in various greasy corners when i get there.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed May 28, 2008 3:15 pm

Fair enough.. but I don't really get it myself - this issue at least seems to be gunning for a wide variety of bases?

A history of an enormously popular action-RPG franchise.
A making of a classic graphic point & click adventure.
A retro japanese handheld retroinspection.
A making of a classic 8-bit shooter-cum-rescue-'em-up
A modern making of an updated classic platform run-and-gun game
A classic game featuring a cult 80's graphic action adventure.
A making of a classic 80's isometric viewpoint arcade game.
A making of a critically-acclaimed 90's scrolling shooter.
A making of an 80's vector 3D game.
WYMP Turn based RPG-strategy title.

So that's shoot-'em-up/platform/run-n-gun/strategy/RPG/adventure/3D/arcade - ie the majority of gaming genres and a decent mix of 8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/US/Jpn/Euro coverage in one mag - not bad going I thought...

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Wed May 28, 2008 3:24 pm

Perhaps it's because I'm more interested in games in general rather than a specific system or genre? I've enjoyed every issue since #1, and the only variance to me being the quality of the writing.