Official Feedback thread for Issue 51

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Wed May 21, 2008 1:52 am

Very nice looking front cover. I will be looking forward in reading this issue very soon. :)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

Mr L

Post by Mr L » Wed May 21, 2008 5:12 am

sebadude wrote:What a cover! I laughed out loud in impressed awe when I saw it.

Bearing in mind we've only just had the great Dreamcast issue, and the fantastic Manic Miner cover (and the Nights Christmas one), it's clear that RG is going from strength to strength :)
Agree, there has been some great issues and superb covers in the past few months.

I look forward to this issue to although I'm only halfway through 50 at the mo.

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:16 am

Mr L wrote:
sebadude wrote:What a cover! I laughed out loud in impressed awe when I saw it.

I look forward to this issue to although I'm only halfway through 50 at the mo.
Sadly looks like the first issue since issue 3 that I may well not buy. I couldn't care less for Zelda frankly and there doesn't appear to be much else that grabs me this month.

Think I'll have to have a flick through it in the newsagents when it comes out, but worrying that this is the first issue since I started buying the mag that has made me go "meh" when looking at the line-up.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed May 21, 2008 12:05 pm

Odd. From a neutral stance I'd say it had some of the best content of any issue so far. In fact I think it's one of the best judged outings of the mag in terms of 8-bit/16-bit/32-bit balance for a while - there really is something for everyone. Even if you don't like Zelda or Indy there's plenty of varied, interesting articles - I mean... c'mon - there's a making of Crystal Castles for goodness sake..

Titan

Post by Titan » Wed May 21, 2008 3:11 pm

Love the cover: nice and shiny, and that stained-glass window style artwork of Link is great (is that actually official Nintendo art? I can't recall seeing it before) :D
The Zelda feature itself was a great read, I'm kind of only just starting to get into the series now, Twilight Princess was the first one I played, and I loved it, so I proceeded to get Wind Waker for the Cube: which I still need to complete, and I also have the bonus disc with Ocarina of Time on it, which I will play soon to see what all the fuss is about :P
I completed Phantom Hourglass on DS too. Basically my mission is to now check out all the others ^^
Anyway yeah, great article, lots of stuff I didn't know about and it was very comprehensive. All in all a great issue as usual ^^

SMASH BROS FRIEND CODE: 1075-2488-1508

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed May 21, 2008 4:22 pm

Titan wrote:Love the cover: nice and shiny, and that stained-glass window style artwork of Link is great (is that actually official Nintendo art? I can't recall seeing it before) :D
The Zelda feature itself was a great read, I'm kind of only just starting to get into the series now, Twilight Princess was the first one I played, and I loved it, so I proceeded to get Wind Waker for the Cube: which I still need to complete, and I also have the bonus disc with Ocarina of Time on it, which I will play soon to see what all the fuss is about :P
I completed Phantom Hourglass on DS too. Basically my mission is to now check out all the others ^^
Anyway yeah, great article, lots of stuff I didn't know about and it was very comprehensive. All in all a great issue as usual ^^
This is why I work on Retro Gamer :)

All I ever wanted to do with this magazine when I took it over was to create something that would serve as both an introduction to new gamers and those who have been around the block a few times.

Granted, you're not always going to find stuff in the magazine that initially appeals to you, or tells you things that you might not know about, but I can't think of any other monthly magazine that goes into the same amount of comprehensive detail that we do.

I knew when we decided on the Zelda feature that many people would be uniterested in the content, but based on recent issues I'm also aware that we're beginning to pick up many new readers, who will find articles like this essential to them.

Retro Gamer has always been an insane balancing act, as you're trying to appeal to lovers of different systems and eras as well as the hardcore and those who are fairly new to the hobby.

I think the magazine is doing a reasonably good job at the moment, after all, if it wasn't there's no way we'd currently be celebrating our 51st issue.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Wed May 21, 2008 4:29 pm

I retract my earlier 'yet another Zelda feature' comment. It's really well done and sufficiently different to make it an interesting read. In fact, the whole issue is fantastic.

My only complaint is that the gold cover is scratched easily and there was only one decent copy in WH Smith this evening, though we can hardly blame the RG team for that minor annoyance (or can we? OR CAN... Never mind).

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Wed May 21, 2008 6:56 pm

Pretty cover, excellent article on Zelda, Not quite sure what the article on chuckie egg and the train game is about.....

One of the best yet......

Cheers !!!!

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Thu May 22, 2008 4:50 am

Just picked up my 1st ever copy of the retogamer mag :) on the way to work.
Havent had chance to read it yet

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu May 22, 2008 8:05 am

71 posts and you've never purchased a copy of the mag before!!!! :shock:

Bout bloody time then!

Was it the bright glimmering gold cover that attracted you :?:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu May 22, 2008 8:22 am

markopoloman wrote:
I'm hoping that's going to be the case...

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Thu May 22, 2008 8:58 am

markopoloman wrote:71 posts and you've never purchased a copy of the mag before!!!! :shock:

Bout bloody time then!

mmm, gold.......my precious

Baki

Post by Baki » Thu May 22, 2008 2:09 pm

Complements on a great issue and a very sexy front cover ;)
I also noticed the difference between the amount of remarks on regular front covers and the shiny gold one of this month's issue, nice job!

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Thu May 22, 2008 7:08 pm

Surprisingly, my issue arrived yesterday. That's by far the earliest one during my subscription time. It seems like the international and UK copies are finally getting send out at the same time, thanks for that.

I've only read the Zelda feature so far and I was pleasantly surprised. It managed not to be boring after all those Zelda features I've read in the past and it even mentioned an aspect of the SNES CD fiasco I hadn't heard (not even in "The Ultimate History of Video Games"). You even managed to cram almost every Zelda game into the main text (sadly missing the Oracle duo and Minish Cap though).

But of course there has to be some nitpicking ;)

1. In the first paragraph, shouldn't the bracketed line "save for the Virtual Boy" be at another position in that sentence, namely after "to ever find a release" ??

2. What dark GameCube period? Which Nintendo IPs were "somehow failing to capture that Nintendo magic..."?? Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario Sunshine, Wave Race, F-Zero, Smash Bros and Metroid Prime were all fantastic games... or is it another IP you are talking about?

3. Talking about the SNES you say "bolstered by an impresive debut of Super Mario Bros". Ignoring the missing dot, are you referring to Super Mario World?? Or the Super Mario brothers? If it's SMW then why SMB? Okay, it was called SMB4 in Japan, but SMB isn't the correct title, neither here nor in Japan.

4. Unfortunately, "link" doesn't mean "left" in German. That would be "links". "link" traditionally only was an adjective meaning crooked. In recent years "Link" has also become a noun, as a short for hyper-link.

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Fri May 23, 2008 4:54 am

Hydrox, just to add to Darran's post (which I have somehow deleted)...

I do think Waverace, Sunshine, Starfox Adventures and Double Dash are the weaker games in their respective series...and Metroid Prime wasn't even developed by Nintendo.

The ‘save for’ in brackets sentence. Hmm, I’m just gonna say I did it purposefully for impact...which it seems to have done (with yourself at least).

The Link(s) point I will hold my hands up to - I honestly thought 'Link' meant 'Left' and 'Links' meant 'Lefts' :wink: