Official Feedback thread for Issue 51

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

cheeky_muffin

Official Feedback thread for Issue 51

Post by cheeky_muffin » Sat May 17, 2008 4:05 am

Darran wrote:Image

The Complete History
The Legend of Zelda
With the Phantom Hourglass still dominating the DS, Retro Gamer takes a look back at one of Nintendo's most famous heroes.

The Making of…
Contra 4
WayForward Technologies explains how it breathed new life into Konami's ailing Contra franchise.

The Big Feature
Families Reunited
Stuart Campbell reveals the true lineage behind a collection of classic and not-so classic videogames.

The Classic Game
Dun darach
With his imposing size and loping gait, Cuchulainn the Great makes for a memorable hero. This is his story.

Retroinspection
PC Engine GT
NEC's PC Engine was so successful in its homeland that it eventually released a handheld model. Sadly for the Japanese developer, it was a case of too little, too late.

The Making of…
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
With every film magazine going behind the scenes of the latest Indiana Jones film, we felt we'd do things a little differently... So here's the lowdown on The Fate of Atlantis. Enjoy.

The Making of...
R-Type Delta
Find out why Irem took a five-year hiatus before returning with its stunning 32-bit blast-em-up.

Why you must play
HeroQuest
there have been many board-game conversions over the years, but this effort by Gremlin is easily the best.

The Making of...
Crystal Castles
Creator Franz Xaver Lanzinger talks about isometric levels, dropping out of a maths degree and creating Bentley Bear.

And much, much more including; Assassin, Who Dares Wins II, Stellar 7, Super Star Wars, Pit-Fighter, Choplifter, Kid Icarus, The King of Kong

Well the postie has posted issue 51 to me and one word about the front cover.... shiny!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat May 17, 2008 4:29 am

Earthworm Jim or MDK?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat May 17, 2008 4:43 am

Yes, lovely cover and all in all the content looks great.

The only issue I have is the Retroinspection. Don't think the PCE-GT is that inspired a choice when it is just a handheld version of a machine that was covered in issue 40.

Had a glance at TMR's stuff and I really think you need to give the homebrew ssection a graphical overhaul. The content is great, but the design is terribly dull..

But overall I expect to learn loads in this issue as I am pretty much clueless about Zelda apart from Wind Waker and the DS one.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat May 17, 2008 4:51 am

SirClive wrote:Yes, lovely cover and all in all the content looks great.

The only issue I have is the Retroinspection. Don't think the PCE-GT is that inspired a choice when it is just a handheld version of a machine that was covered in issue 40.

Had a glance at TMR's stuff and I really think you need to give the homebrew ssection a graphical overhaul. The content is great, but the design is terribly dull..

But overall I expect to learn loads in this issue as I am pretty much clueless about Zelda apart from Wind Waker and the DS one.
worry not, I've got big plans for the home-brew section. I just need to tell Jason about them ;)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat May 17, 2008 4:53 am

Great :D

kelp7

Re: Unofficial thread for issue 51

Post by kelp7 » Sat May 17, 2008 4:59 am

cheeky_muffin wrote:Well the postie has posted issue 51 to me and one word about the front cover.... shiny!
Just got it. Yep, nice shiny gold cover, looking good...
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

bolda

Post by bolda » Sat May 17, 2008 5:23 am

That's the first RG cover that made me say "Wow!" out loud! That's not to say previous covers have been naff, just that I don't usually pay that much attention to them. Even the missus was impressed! :D I reckon the cover alone will help shift a few copies to the "casual buyer" this month!

Had a quick flick through the content and it looks good, some particularly promising "Making Of..." articles this month!

Larverly!
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat May 17, 2008 5:28 am

Glad I got a subscription now and my first issue arrived today (the 17th!!) didn't know you got it that early! Must get around to playing Fate of Atlantis after the review as I missed out on it first time around. Seems to be more shorter game reviews in this one that I am personally in favour of.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sat May 17, 2008 5:44 am

just got mine through the door great cover had a quick thumb through
looks to be a pretty good issue thats a rather impressive metroid collecton in collectors corner to.of out now to see if i can spot a few gaming bargains

Shion

Post by Shion » Sat May 17, 2008 5:59 am

What's the Wonder Boy article like?

Beakerzoid

Post by Beakerzoid » Sat May 17, 2008 6:06 am

Just read the mag - another great issue. Now I'm about to boot up dosbox and dig out my Indy Fate of Atlantis disks.......

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Sat May 17, 2008 6:39 am

Only had a quick flick through but from the number of groovy updated layouts in the mag Stephen is my new hero.

Also the little age-rating classification logo on the cover is genius :)

Here's hoping this one flies off the shelves...

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat May 17, 2008 6:44 am

SirClive wrote:Had a glance at TMR's stuff and I really think you need to give the homebrew ssection a graphical overhaul. The content is great, but the design is terribly dull..
[Curtsey] Ta very much for the nice comment about the stuff what i wrote. =-)

The irony here is that i haven't seen the final layout, so i don't know how my stuff looks on the page yet, looks like a shopping trip will be in order in the near future.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:worry not, I've got big plans for the home-brew section. I just need to tell Jason about them ;)
Oooh...! Do i get new toys? =-)

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Sat May 17, 2008 6:55 am

That guy in Dorset has a cover gallery of the latest issue.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat May 17, 2008 7:21 am

Beakerzoid wrote:Just read the mag - another great issue.
:shock:

How? I read it Mon-Fri during my dinner hour and it takes 1.5 to 2 weeks to get through, so about 8 or 9 hours in total.

I don't get how people can finish it within a day or two, never mind within an hour of getting it.

Anyway, the shiny cover looks nice, though I would like to know when we are going to get another cover by Will (I think it's Will - the one who did the Ultimate/Rare cover and Monty one).