From the forum question for issue 24

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:57 am

Because I hark back to a time when people who don't like FPS's were catered for. Damn you to hell Castle Wolfenstein!

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:45 pm

I love retro gaming so much because (racing titles aside) games are just too real nowadays. My favourite gaming era was the colourful 16-bit-platform-Sonic-Gunstar Heroes-Ecco the Dolphin time. There's too little emphasis on escapism for my tastes now.
Thoughts and prayers.

garciansmith

Post by garciansmith » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:16 am

Romanticism for me.

The joy of discovering a gem that's been in hiding for some years (hidden from me at least).

Also, Super Mario World - still yet to be surpassed. I have to play through it once a year or everyone I know will die.

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:59 am

Nostalgia.
Simple fun.
Great for quick blast when you have little time to spare.
Besides, I’m still trying to finish some of those Spectrum games I got nowhere with 21 years ago.

…..Damn you, Skool Dayz.....

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:39 am

I love retro gaming because back then games were simple, just like me :lol:

I also love retro gaming because back then you could get a good 3 weeks worth of enjoyment for £1.99 (Booty, Chiller, Feud, 180, the list goes on...) :wink:

monkey puzzle

Post by monkey puzzle » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:15 pm

Here are four good reasons why retro games are better than new ones:

1) When was the last time you saw a croud of people gathered round a machine in the pub chearing as someone beats a highscore? Probably not for a long time.

2) When did you last play a game that you couldn't actually complete just by putting a lot of time into it, a game where skill was needed to get to the end and not hours, and hours of playing?

3) When can you last remember owning a game that you could pick up and play for five minutes and then put down again?

4) When was the last time you owned a game that only required a few seconds of play to learn the controls?

dattson510

Gameplay and variety! Plain and simple.

Post by dattson510 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:58 am

With such a wide variety (of both systems and games) there is an amazing amount to chose from.
I played video games all my life and there are still so many that I have yet to try. Thanks to you guys at RG I'm now starting to research games from Europe. Japan was a given... and I imported games all the time. But I just assumed that The US and te UK ad te same games.
Developers of the past had very limited tools to work with. They had to touch the imaginations of the game playing public. Not like todays systems that come closer and closer to photo realism. So new modes of gameplay were essential to keeping us interested.
I don't care about graphics....(some of my all time favorites are from the 8-bit era) I just want a game that is fun to play.
Oh Yeah!... It's also cheap
Ryan

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:36 am

monkey puzzle wrote:
2) When did you last play a game that you couldn't actually complete just by putting a lot of time into it, a game where skill was needed to get to the end and not hours, and hours of playing?
All of them?

Unless you're implying that the days when games sent you right back to the beginning when you ran out of lives on the final boss was a good thing because I REALLY hate that. I should be able to replay from the level I go to. Always.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

savva0122

Post by savva0122 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:07 am

Why I prefer retro games-

* They had INNOVATION, every game released was NOT a FPS clone or sports sim. Really really original games came along, naming just the first three that come to mind, Lemmings, Paradroid and Elite

* They had CHARACTER. Since most games were coded by one or a few programmers, they had the programmers personality. Now that games are a massive undertaking, this shows.

* We saw games EVOLVE. I don't think there is a "Wow" factor anymore. Remember how blown away when you heard the speech on Impossible Mission? Or the animation on Summer Games? These days its all about effects (Or even how about Space Invaders on the Atari?) You can't really recreate those C64 vs Speccy arguments these days

* The mags were better. When do you want to go back to your PC Formats?

Paranoia

Post by Paranoia » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:14 pm

Why do we/I love retro gaming? Im so tempted to put because we do! :wink:

Though I think Frank Chickens put it best earlier on in the thread (damn you beating me to the punch! :wink: ) and that simple point is about escapism. Thats what the concept of video games and media sources were all about at the time of release for many of these classic games.

Though nowadays the games are too 'real' in a way. Dont get me wrong Im all for the new and latest releases but the simple stumbling block for them is that you automatically find it harder to escape reality when games are striving towards making to as close as reality as possible.

Well thats my thought anyway...

Regantor

Post by Regantor » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:56 pm

You can use a NES or Megadrive controller with one hand and eat with the other. None of this having-to-hold to controller joystick nonsence.

Fact!

thundercat

Post by thundercat » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:31 pm

Im a cheap so-and-so! I always buy things way after the release date. Also the games are more fun in fantastic 2D like the Sonic and Mario series simple but so afftective. Much like my personality.....

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:21 pm

It's a combination of pure nostalgia and a back-to-basics sensibility in terms of gameplay. I also tend to find most modern games charmless and impersonal, a far cry from the days when you knew exactly who was responsible for the game you were enjoying. Finally, I love to see pixels! Pixels are being phased out by increasing resolutions. I love looking at old graphics and seeing the makeup of them... economy of design limited by hardware always seemed to encourage creativity.

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:24 am

I love retro gaming so much because it gives me a nostalga trip, and I also find the majority of newer games aren't a patch on the classics. How many first person shooters and Fifa games can any one system have?!?

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:30 am

EnglishRob wrote:I love retro gaming so much because it gives me a nostalga trip, and I also find the majority of newer games aren't a patch on the classics. How many first person shooters and Fifa games can any one system have?!?

Rob
How many 2d platformers can one system have? ;)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com