From the forum question for issue 24

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

drewbar

Post by drewbar » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:20 am

Goodness Retro Gaming...how I love thee, let me count the ways! Most of the reasons have already been touched on. I enjoy collecting the hardware as well as the games, most of the retro gear looks pretty neat - wood grain atari...nice. Also the thrill of the chase is good fun, it is nice to have a story to go with something that you have stumbled across...I rescued this 2600 from the dumpster, I saved this Coleco from being mauled by a dog, Sum Guy beat me to a boxed Phantasy Star etc. etc. The retro gaming community is pretty cool being a part of too, different people with similiar interests keeping the scene alive. There are some great sites out there with some great info and history, however, these are only as strong as those that contribute. Zap on!

eksosrock

Post by eksosrock » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:37 am

It brings me back to a time when life was a lot less complicated. And the games are great

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:11 am

Developers actually taking the time and making a game for the target machine. I know that I can buy any tape cbm 64 game and it will work in any 64 and so on across the formats.

I wonder how many people had to upgrade their pc to play halflife 2 when it came out??

I know for a fact that the developers today don't even reach the limit of a current graphics card, cpu etc. They just insist that you run out and buy the newest model!!

Today it is all about the flashy visuals and padding. You can't beat bubble bobble for sheer playability, I have been playing that on and off for 15 years and still not beat it!!!!

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:22 am

For several reasons, all of which are very simple:

I love retro gaming because...

1) "Retro" games tend to be very unpretentious and in an odd sort of way very unasuming. Titles these days seem to be 80% hyperbole and 20% substance - in the "old days" those stats were reversed.

2) Nothing is quite as satisfying as kicking midget-ninja a*se in "Bruce Lee", or luring Green Yamo to an untimely impaling :wink:

3) Mr.Do, he loves you. Nuff sed. :D

Sparrowhawk

Post by Sparrowhawk » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:13 am

Of course, gameplay is going to be of paramount importance, but I believe that there also is a strong link between first impressions and lasting appeal.

So, for many of us "of a certain age" (the thirty-somethings say), our first experience of gaming was on micros such as the Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, Beeb, C64, etc.

Given the fact that merely *owning/having access to* a computer was such a big deal back then, it's no wonder that even simple games of the time burned indelible memories into our minds.

Lords of Midnight, my favourite game, will always stay with me. Surely it was not possible for something as humble as a speccy to be able to offer us such games? I remember the first time I started at the Tower of the Moon, and then broke out of the Forest of Shadows to behold the vastness of the Plains of Blood which was peppered with enemy banners. Oh rapture!

It is not restricted to retro games though - for example I remember the first time I entered Hyrule in glorious 3D on the N64. Ocarina of time simply blew me away. Although the graphics may have dated a little by today's standards, the game still measures up to pretty much anything else, thanks to the music, graphics, gameplay, and my inital impressions having ensured that Ocarina secured itself a place in my heart.

I think also that retro games have good communities where people are able to communicate in a language that is not pseudo-texting. That helps!

bazza6891

Post by bazza6891 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:38 am

Its all about the simplicity and playability. :!:
I am now nearly 40, have three kids and to be quite honest, about 4 to 5 hours a week of gaming time if I am lucky !!
I need a game that I can load up, play for up to an hour or so, and then put it back down. I don't want to have to reread the huge manual each time I want to restart a game so I know what I am actually supposed be doing.
Its a quick fix thing, and modern games just do not offer this. :(

:arrow: Bring back Dizzy :!:

forestville

Post by forestville » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:54 am

Retro gaming is cool 8) it takes me back to my childhood to the days of the speccy 128k, i am 33 now, playing old speccy games on my imac g5 via "fuse" is just so nostalgic, seeing those 8bit graphics on a flat panel display adds a 21 century twist to those 1980s 8bit graphics, and also the 128k sound amplified on a decent set of speakers is ultra cool 8)
Press play on tape

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:01 pm

I love retro gaming because........

I am 35 years old with a very happy childhood memory! Listening to retro game music during a game of Monty on the Run sends a shiver down my spine and a smile to my face.

I also enjoy the sensation of seeing my offspring having a go! Ahhh - the look of joy when I see my 11yr old son playing Jet Set Billy on the Amiga - and designing his own levels on the editor.

They ar two out of the million reasons why I LOVE retro gaming! :D

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:40 pm

Although I'm only 19 years of age and play a lot of PS2 etc, I love looking back to my golden years of gaming. I have very fond memories of playing on my dad's C128, VIC-20 and Amiga systems, as he was a Commodore fanatic. It was these three systems that got me into computing, and are the ones that I spent most of my time on. I then later moved on to playing a Megadrive, SNES, PS1 and then the Speccy before moving into PS2 land. Today I regularly play on my real +3 speccy and on emulators like WinUAE and WinVICE, whilst I delve into Shadow of The Colossus and King Kong at the same time. I also like to look at the technical side of all things retro, and I'm even programming a Speccy adventure game in BASIC (which is progressing slowly but nicely). Hopefully, someone like Cronosoft will look into publishing the game, so watch this space!

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

RivaOni

Post by RivaOni » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:45 pm

I love retro gaming because it allows me to play games that are instantly accesible, that dont require hours of sitting on my backside listening to some waffle to build a plot and because jumping on the head of something was the most lethal way of killing them, rather than todays headshot.

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:37 am

Relative cheapness, nostalgia, so many excellent gaming titles, and much less complicated control wise. Not necessarily in that order :P

READBOY

Post by READBOY » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:50 am

Many modern console games require too much time to play properly and cause too much frustration. So pick up and play is an important aspect of retro gaming for me. There's no need to wade through or constantly have to refer to a manual to see which controls do what. No complex storyline, that as soon as you take a break from a game, you come back only to find you can't remember what you were doing or where you had to go. No massive game world that requires endless back tracking through the nothingness to reach a small scripted piece of actual gameplay. Oh and don't get me started no unskipable cut scenes.

bolda

Post by bolda » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:46 am

... because it takes me back to the innocence of childhood! Getting my homework out of the way so I could boot up the NES, the excited anticipation of the next issue of Mean Machines, swapping ST games with my pals at school, the jaw-dropping amazement the first time Sonic span down a tunnel and did a loop-the-loop in the Greenhill Zone, sibling rivalry over who was the best at Streetfighter II... happy days! :D

Andy
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:08 am

Sitting down to play games that actually offer a challenge, and by that I mean not being able to save every 2 steps/before every end of level boss. Sure, it could be frustrating sometimes, but then you work it out and get that little bit further each go.

This way they give you so much more satisfaction upon completion.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:24 am

Well to define ‘retro’ you have to define ‘modern’. I’m currently playing my way through all the ‘Legacy of Kane’ games.
I’m playing Blood Omen on the PC and also ‘Sole Reaver 2’ on the PS2. Obviously Reaver 2 would be classed as a modern game, but I personally would class Blood Omen as retro. This is a top-down (RPG) type game if you aren’t familiar with the series.

Similar thing with Resident evil, I recently bought the Resident Evil one remake for the GameCube from the ‘normal’ shelves and Resident Evil one for the Saturn from the ‘retro’ shelves in the same shop!
So in this case the only thing making one game ‘retro’ is time, not gameplay!!

So why do I like retro? Because I like all different types of games and some of them happen to be older :)