From the forum question for issue 24

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

From the forum question for issue 24

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:54 am

Ok then guys, time for another pop quiz 8)

This month's question is
Why do you love retro gaming so much?

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:56 am

Amiga games are cheaper than ever now, which is great because I'm a bit of a scrooge.

merman

Post by merman » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:01 pm

By the time my PC has started up, I can play a quarter of Madden 95 on the SNES or get several levels into Dropzone on the C64...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

retroisland

Post by retroisland » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:13 pm

Because they've been out for years I can actually complete some of the games without needing a full blown walkthrough....

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:23 pm

Because there are no games nowadays that would make me want to start from the start immediately after dying. So many Retro games do. These days: Quick save, save points, do you wish to save that you have just saved...
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:38 pm

Because it harks back to a time when games didn't usually take hours to complete; could be picked up without having to consult the manual or spend 20 minutes in a tutorial; wasn't all annual rehash series/chav/hiphop/gangster dominated; could be controlled using a joystick and no more than 2 buttons; and had proper music at times ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Xtatic

Post by Xtatic » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:51 pm

Playbility, soundtrack, simple controls, and most of all... they ARE FUN !!! I don't need 10000 hours to learn the commands and to become a mediocre player...
Last edited by Xtatic on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:59 pm

Apart from all the usual reasons, I have one more reason: Game design.
Or, to be more specific, game design in 2D.

3D is fine, but gameplay lost a dimension(!) when going from 2D to 3D and only letting you see what happens in front of you.
Of course, not all recent games are limited like that: A lot of the strategy games have a "board game" style design which is pretty much 2D.

Tomb Raider and PoP style games are not firstperson, but thirdperson to counteract not seing behind you, but they are still limited and there are still camera problems in nearly all of them...

(Defender didn't work in 3D. I can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to try Robotron in 3D either!)

Devin

Post by Devin » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:14 pm

The main reason would have to be that I want to by type cast as a sweaty handed bearded wonder who nobody wants to associate with. I'm the result from years of gaming and evidence that over exposure to violent videogames including Doom, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat has left me in a dribbling incoherent mess tittering on the knife edge of fully blown psychopathic! Not to mention the influence from drug induced games such as Pac-man and Tempest 2000, which has left me half blind in at least one eye with a desire to discuss the finer points on the implications of gaming through the ages.

... apparently, after all these years and with the above afflictions I still manage to hold down a full time job, run my own small business, operate 5 websites and even mingle amongst other people from this great nation! But that said and with no evidence to backup my claims video games are bad and RetroGaming is even worse :wink:
www.blackmoonproject.co.uk - Philips CD-i Gaming... Honest!

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:18 pm

There are a million games across a million formats that I never had a chance to play all them years ago. Now everything is so cheap, or indeed free, I can play all them classics without breaking the bank.

And nostalgia. 8)

smila

Post by smila » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:58 pm

because you dont have to take 6 months holiday to complete older games
god created the sid chip so hubbard could make music

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:50 pm

Because there's more challenge in a five minute game of Io than most modern console games that hold the player's hand half the time. There are exceptions like Ikaruga but they're few and far between... Plus it's loads of fun to code on "retro" hardware too! =-)

Kai

Post by Kai » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:03 am

Because the games were more about PLAYABILITY than about graphics! :D

Kai

Re:

Post by Kai » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:06 am

NorthWay wrote: 3D is fine, but gameplay lost a dimension(!) when going from 2D to 3D
That's especially true for platformers. The best 3D-platformer imo was actually a 2D-controlled one, namely PANDEMONIUM on the PSone.
And Mario64 was never that good (playable) as SuperMarioBros. et al

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:13 am

Because I'm in denial. Every time I look in the mirror at my retreating hair line and see another crease arching across my forehead it feels like a punch in the stomach from M. Bison. In contrast my image is that of a seventeen year old when it's reflected on a TV screen that's playing 'Syndicate'.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian