Official feedback for ISSUE 50

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Tue May 06, 2008 5:25 am

Me too, i'm the king of the world!
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Tue May 06, 2008 7:31 am

I have to say hats off to Issue 50, kept me enthralled from cover to cover and managed to occupy me for the entire duration of two long train journeys. Best issue I've read so far. Well done everyone at RG, here's to another 50.

fouldsc

Post by fouldsc » Tue May 06, 2008 8:51 am

Good issue , especially loved the Giana Sisters article - brought back some good memory's

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue May 06, 2008 12:20 pm

Although it was about the first thing I read, I only last night noticed the vertical thanks line at the end of the Giana Sisters piece... cheers Darran :wink:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue May 06, 2008 1:13 pm

I just got mine today. I'm about to digest it thoroughly, but initial impressions are WHA-HEY! I got my name in it twice! WOOO!!!!! AH-YEAH!!!!!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming....
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Tue May 06, 2008 3:37 pm

Finally received my issue today at long last! I must say that after reading this issue, this has got to be THE BEST ISSUE EVER! :D The magazine has become alot more colourful and fun and very interesting to read with more screenshots and pictures and photos at long last. :D I must say THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH for mentioning me in the magazine, I was very flattered! :D

I am very pleased and happy that the Letter's Forum Section has been extended after months of begging and I must say Thank You Very Much for that. It is always nice to hear from other readers on what they think about the magazine as well as seeing more funny pictures and photos and screenshots. Thank You once again! :D

The only critism I have about the magazine is: WHERE IS RETRO SHAMER IN THIS ISSUE? :( :? :( :?

I take it that Retro Shamer will be back in the next issue with Pit Fighter as the next Retro Shamer Game?

Also, will the Bargain Hunt section be receiving a makeover or be spiced up in the very near future please?

Thank you once again for an excellent issue and keep up with the excellent work and I will be looking forward in seeing the magazine become even bigger and better in the near future and seeing more new additional features in the magazine.

:D :D :D :D
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue May 06, 2008 3:45 pm

I wonder what that little triangle motif on the "?" next month cover means...?

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Tue May 06, 2008 4:32 pm

The Master wrote:I wonder what that little triangle motif on the "?" next month cover means...?
you mean the Triforce? It's just another Zelda thing on there imho

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue May 06, 2008 4:34 pm

That's not sinister enough. I want it to be about masons, or crop circles, or golf.

DRS

Post by DRS » Wed May 07, 2008 6:43 am

Ah issue 50 has done us proud. Lots of lovely stuff: good to see Jonti's Japanese connection back; DC piece was nicely done - informed but with plenty of love; an excellent choice dotting 'the fifty games that changed lives' through the mag rather than collected together in a few pages... worth doing little bits like this in the future i reckon to break up the longer articles...

My favourite piece of this and indeed any issue was the Making Of RG. Martyn, you really summed up a whole period of time there - the optimism, the doubts, the highs and lows... loved reading about how it all came about (and the ending WAS happy in the end, eh? ;]) Top, top stuff.

Anyway, in response to the feedback for celebrity DID...

Uglifruit - I'd heard of Simon Munnery after i'd witnessed Jeff Minter rant about his Asteriods at this event in Nottingham a few years ago... and actually i don't remember those games being that bad relative to plenty of other Vic games of the time. A mate of mine called Chris Evans (not that one) has put out Munnery DVDs and put me in touch. He's a genuinely inventive and funny stand-up and it was a pleasure chatting to him after the gig. Go and see him and buy him a lager when he's in your town...

DjCarlos and MikeB - glad you liked the choice of castaways and the Lemmy piece was straight up, including the bit about the crazy answerphone message... and Mike, ta for suggestion for another castaway mate ;]

Bub&Bob and Antiriad - sorry you didn't like the choice. I did try to pick people who had a link to games and a bit of a tale, rather than random celebrities, but no worries if you weren't that impressed. I was a bit surprised that you suggested interviewing Violet Berlin Antiriad and then when Merman pointed out she'd already been a castaway you said you knew that - seemed a bit odd for you to suggest it, as surely i would have had loads of people saying she'd already been done? Oh well, no biggie. And if you do listen to Gareth's podcast, he does make numerous references to game culture, including doing his own songs. No, really.

Well, as everyone has said, here's to 50 more - well done Darran for taking us forward and to Martyn for getting us going.... oooh it's a love-in...

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed May 07, 2008 7:28 am

DRS wrote: DjCarlos and MikeB - glad you liked the choice of castaways and the Lemmy piece was straight up, including the bit about the crazy answerphone message... and Mike, ta for suggestion for another castaway mate ;]
Ooo... No problem! Will really look forward to this if it happens :)

Skarnz

Post by Skarnz » Wed May 07, 2008 7:45 am

after i read this month's mag i had a urge to play the Giana Sister's just to see how much of a rip off it was. if you too want to play it i urge you to NOT play the freeware 32k version it's really bad

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Wed May 07, 2008 2:16 pm

Okay, after reading the Making Of RG bit... I wish Strange Games would come back! :D

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu May 08, 2008 1:57 pm

I finally managed to get a copy today of issue 50, better late than never hey! So far it's ranks up there with issues 30 and 45. Excellent job and well worth the asking price, I've said it before but the artwork and design of the magazine puts all the others on the shelf next to it to shame. 8)

chrisgoodhead

Post by chrisgoodhead » Fri May 09, 2008 5:11 am

Thanks for another good issue. Congratulations on reaching the 50th Retro Gamer. Hope there are many more to come. It's the only magazine I subscribe to. I've just moved house and it had been delivered to my old house where the new owners were always out. It was agony knocking on the door for two weeks, knowing that my RG50 was in there while I was unable to get it. I considered burglary.

I'm not sure that anything in this one quite tops the fabulous Matthew Smith interview in a previous issue, but it's a pretty solid, informative and entertaining read.

Right then; I've got the day off, wife and daughter have gone out and there's a Dreamcast with loads of games in the attic. Hmm... I'm forming a plan for the day...

By the way, the Dreamcast I have has an annoying fault. In order for it to spin the discs I have to open the lid to a precise height and make sure it stays there or it will reset itself. Is this easily repairable? If not, I'm considering getting a replacement and have seen UK ones modded for multiregion for £45. Is this the best option? Any advice would be much appreciated. I do fancy getting some of those Japanese import games.

Cheers!