Official feedback for ISSUE 50

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:16 am

The lowdown on the Great Giana Sisters! Finally!!!

This is the kinda stuff I like reading about. Any chance of anybody ever finding the Spectrum version?! (That I doubt exists despite what Crash may have claimed)

But yeah, more of this kinda stuff please! (Actually, more Chris Hulsbeck!)

Side note - Was surprised and happy to see that Fire Pro Wrestling got the respect it so rightly deserves last month. Perhaps the chances of seeing a feature on this one aren't so unlikely after all.

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Thu May 01, 2008 2:16 am

excellent issue...the most features ive actually read in a long time due to it mainly being console related.
liked the gunstar heroes bit especially.

dunno if its been mentioned tho....maybe some form of editor type punishment required but the car bit in the GTA feature is headed ROUGES Gallery instead of ROGUES (unless its on purpose...i'm no expert on GTA)

and perhaps my favourite mistake so far....the 1990 olympics that never actually happened gets a very informative write up in the back to the 90's section :lol: 10 years too early on that one boys...

Igorthegreen

Splendid!

Post by Igorthegreen » Thu May 01, 2008 5:24 am

To be honest : best issue since a long time.
Ofcourse not everyone can be pleased 100% all the time, since Retro Games have a massive amount of platforms to choose form. But i feel a lot of true spirit and the total lack of randomwriting in this issue!

And it's a true honour to be in the 'Best gaming moment'-section...

Can't help longing for issue 51 as I've seen there's going to be an article about Choplifter!! Don't forget the amazing C64-version guys! Best 8-bit version, ever!!

Cheers for making a superb mag!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

CraigGrannell

Re: Splendid!

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu May 01, 2008 5:35 am

Igorthegreen wrote:Can't help longing for issue 51 as I've seen there's going to be an article about Choplifter!! Don't forget the amazing C64-version guys!
I didn't, although most of the focus is on the original Apple version, since that's what Dan first created and what he was most keen to talk about. In the grabs I sent to Darran, eight different versions of the game are covered, so hopefully a lot of those will be used. If they aren't, I'll bung an 'extras' thread on the forum once the mag's out.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Thu May 01, 2008 7:07 am

Cheers! Well, I guess Darran is reading here with us, so... C64 Choppy, Darran? :lol:
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

Skarnz

Post by Skarnz » Thu May 01, 2008 7:07 am

just found got myself a copy.
Best yet, except the fact everyone is doing a "History of GTA" article but apart from that great, oh and by the way does anyone actually call those numbers at the back cause i don't know anyone who does???

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu May 01, 2008 7:47 am

Just had a quick skim through, looks like a lot of interesting stuff this time, and I was mentioned again :D

I read the Dreamcast stuff, and agree with most of the perfect 10, although the list could easily be the perfect 20 for the DC!

I think the games mentioned give a good indication of the range of stuff available for the DC, and shows some of the more unusial or quirky software available. Look like another good one to me.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri May 02, 2008 7:24 pm

Gareth Jones whos interviewed in the mag,i seen footage of him on youtube,he was did some final inteviews with phil lynott out of thin lizzy

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Sat May 03, 2008 11:14 am

Enjoyed the mag and found the RG early days an interesting read. I've just missed out on issue one on E-Bay which went for £23.00!
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

Skarnz

Post by Skarnz » Sat May 03, 2008 2:23 pm

MAking of = RETRO GAMER
what a ego boost

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat May 03, 2008 3:48 pm

Skarnz wrote:MAking of = RETRO GAMER
what a ego boost
not really when you consider that the original mag was made by a different publisher. in fact if anything quite the opposite , as they are acknowledging that the creaton of RG wasn't even their idea
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat May 03, 2008 6:38 pm

GarryG wrote:I read the Dreamcast stuff, and agree with most of the perfect 10
Nice to see a few extra games get a mention on that DPS, too. I would have definitely had Crazy Taxi in there, but at least it got a mention as part of a 'runners-up' list.

Which reminds me—I really need to get my DC set up again...
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sun May 04, 2008 4:42 am

i finaly found a copy in scotland (see how dedicated i am...i travled all the way up this god forsaken island from rhyl to edinbrough[cant spell] just to buy the mag) but now i won't have time to read it till tomorrow so i'll tell you what i think then.....and if its crap i want my train fare back :D
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon May 05, 2008 11:20 am

I don't have an opinionated critique of the latest issue. I just want to say thanks for continuing to put out a mag dedicated to old and older games every month.

I don't think you have to worry about put more 'console x' or 'machine y' in the mag or even 'what is retro' - it seems you have it pretty much sussed from where I am.

Well done on issue 50 and more power to you.
Thoughts and prayers.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Mon May 05, 2008 1:43 pm

just noticed my name in the mag whoooooo yeah i finaly made it!!!! :D :D :D :mrgreen:
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...