Official feedback for ISSUE 50

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:35 pm

Was great! One of the best in a while I thought. The making of the mag/Dreamcast/Great Giana sections intersted me I even get 2 mentions in the mag (yay!)

VinnyM

Post by VinnyM » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:41 pm

I haven't posted for some time and I haven't bothered keeping up with my collection of RG as I haven't particularly been impressed with the last 10 or so issues.

Issue 50 has restored my faith in the magazine, to the point that I have taken out a subscription! So what's changed my opinion of the magazine: the amout of readers' content and feedback that appeared in this issue; it's what RG is crying out for. Can we please have more of this, Darran?

My fav feature is Back to the 80s and 90s.

Please keep up this good work and quality.

PS With regards to Jase's Rant: I used to go to the same school as Jason and he is a nice guy; he really knows his retro stuff. So please, either give him a job with Retro Gamer or get rid of these second-rate adverts as they are really cramping your style ;)
Fancy viewing some Commodore 64 game endings? http://www.c64endings.co.uk
Old C64 games refreshed and revived: http://www.c64endings.freeolamail.com/h ... yhacks.htm

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:27 am

Good issue. Nice to be able to read up on the Live era of the mag, just a pity the takeover wasn't covered as it seemed to leave the article feeling incomplete.

Still not read half of it mind. The Dreamcast stuff was good though and Giana Sisters was long overdue a write-up.

romanista

Post by romanista » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:48 am

congratulation from here.. great article about the old RG.. can't imagine that next year RG will have more issues than AP (of which there should be an article by the way)

added a dreamcast and the info about this issue to macretro.ricklindeman.nl . They are working on DC emulation on the mac
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:01 pm

Just like some of my colleagues here, I really loved this issue. I was fortunate enough to get it, and I wasn't disappointed at all! And now, I'm really determined to get a subscription... so I'd say that the people at RG did a very good job! :wink:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:43 pm

Following my first ever posts in the mag my wife has got me a subscription to the mag as part of my forthcoming birthday prezzie bonanza.

Skarnz

Post by Skarnz » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:09 am

the only problem i can find is that I cant find it anywhere all smegging sold
why am i never quicker off the block, price £4.99+busfair to chester £3.50 + ages lookin in whsmith and others causing future mental injury and insanity, when i finally find it = Priceless

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:15 am

Skarnz wrote:the only problem i can find is that I cant find it anywhere all smegging sold
Most local newsagents will order in a copy for you, if you're not keen on subscribing.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:57 am

Cool episode of my favourite magazine

1. Really enjoyed the Gunstar feature, more please!! (Ikaruga would be great)

2. The DC history was a nice article and very informative. For ca onsole that has a library of amazing shooters and 2D fighting games I felt not enough attention was given to these genres (possible future article?).

VinnyM

Post by VinnyM » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:03 pm

Skarnz wrote:the only problem i can find is that I cant find it anywhere all smegging sold
why am i never quicker off the block, price £4.99+busfair to chester £3.50 + ages lookin in whsmith and others causing future mental injury and insanity, when i finally find it = Priceless
You'd be crazy not to subscribe.

First 3 issues for £1, and then £18 per 6 issues thereafter. It's a bargain!
Fancy viewing some Commodore 64 game endings? http://www.c64endings.co.uk
Old C64 games refreshed and revived: http://www.c64endings.freeolamail.com/h ... yhacks.htm

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:40 pm

VinnyM wrote:
You'd be crazy not to subscribe.

First 3 issues for £1, and then £18 per 6 issues thereafter. It's a bargain!
It is great value for money subscribing. Would love some cheesy present for an extra. Wonder what Retro Gamer think of that.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:39 pm

50 issues already? Blimey!

Radar - Sad to hear about that museum closing. Surely they would be better looking further afield than just Swindon though?

Collectors Corner - A refreshing change to see magazines. Though I suspect I might have quite a few more than him, its just getting them all out to take photos!

Back To.. - Quite timely that Imagine going bust is mentioned, with their former PR person saying it was mostly down to piracy (see other forums and Bruce's blog!).

Revival - Nice selection of 8-bit games (though slightly CPC heavy!). The screenshots from multi-formats is appreciated.

Readers Top Gaming Moments - Normally I would dismiss this as filler but as its Issue 50 its ok! Nice touch really.

Complete Lowdown - Nice comprehensive feature. Think I've still got No2 installed on my pc, will have to give it another blast!

Classic Game - Yars Revenge - Never played this but informative.

Making of Retro Gamer - I feared this might be a rehash of the 'extra' tha was on the emag but I'm impressed. Probably my favourite from this months issue - surprised to read that the sales figues actually fell after the first issue. Martyn deserved a medal for putting together the first issue in such short time with no money.

History of GTA - I was never that taken with the first game on the Playstation. Good, solid article though.

Making of Gunstar Heroes - Some good insights from the producer of this game. Hopefully Jonti will write more for RG as he is well placed in Japan for contacts.

Desert Island Disks - Can't believe the complaints this has already got (probably the same people who didn't like the GLC one!). Three for the price of one! Though you didn't ask Gaz Top about the fabled party trick he used to do on tour with The Alarm...

Retroinspection - Nice detailed piece on a now retro console (yes it is!).

Painting Worlds - When I first flicked the page, I thought it was an interview with Roger KEAN (!). Anyway this is a nice change and I haven't seen any other interviews with him (concerning his game artwork).

Making Of Giana Sisters - My second fave article of the month. One of my all-time fave games, it was the closest I could get to a Mario game on the C64 in '87.

Overall - A fine birthday issue - something for everyone. Keep up the good work RG and here's to another 50!

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:12 pm

LeeT wrote:I thought it was an interview with Roger KEAN (!)
That would have been a bit surreal.

Oli Frey: Hey, Roger! I'm just about done with the covers for next month's Zzap! and Crash!

Roger: Pfft! No need—I knocked up another six-by-eight canvas last week, so we'll just use that instead.

Oli: *sob*

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:18 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
LeeT wrote:I thought it was an interview with Roger KEAN (!)
That would have been a bit surreal.

Oli Frey: Hey, Roger! I'm just about done with the covers for next month's Zzap! and Crash!

Roger: Pfft! No need—I knocked up another six-by-eight canvas last week, so we'll just use that instead.

Oli: *sob*
Airbrushes at dawn. :)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:20 pm

Ah, but Roger almost never used an airbrush. Thinking about it, that at least gives Oli the advantage of range.