Inappropriate jokes in Retro Gamer

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:51 am

Its good to have a good heated debate from time to time ! ;)

I'm looking forward to the fall out when Darran does his 'Page 3 retro wifes' next month. Could be controversial.

bolda

Post by bolda » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:51 pm

psj3809 wrote:I'm looking forward to the fall out when Darran does his 'Page 3 retro wifes' next month. Could be controversial.
Or worse, page 3 retro gamer forum members... starting with markopoloman! :shock:
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:06 pm

bolda wrote:
psj3809 wrote:I'm looking forward to the fall out when Darran does his 'Page 3 retro wifes' next month. Could be controversial.
Or worse, page 3 retro gamer forum members... starting with markopoloman! :shock:

good god no!! ill be seeing my dinner again if that happens (the whole months worth!! :shock: )
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

keir

Post by keir » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:50 am

I thought the piece in general was mainly pretty funny, I didn't find the joke in question offensive although I didn't think it really worked because the photo didn't really sell it. It never occured to me that it was an advert.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:17 am

bleh

try listening to some of the jokes that go round the factory! sexist,racist,homophobic,ageist,jokes about peeps who have died,jokes about abuse! if any of these were ever actualy taken seriously then no-one would be working there!

i didn't read this months issue (after all the ranting i did about how it wasn't worth subscribing, whsmiths was sold out! :( )so i dont know the joke, but it cant be as bad as a lot of the stuff you see on tv thats supposed to be funny!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

R. Prime

Post by R. Prime » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:11 am

Yeah...

I'm surprised anyone would think this was any kind of feature, considering the really bad design. Obviously a case of someone buying themselves a column in RG.
Like many others I'm sure, it didn't look like it was worth reading, so I never read it, and wasn't offended.

Mm.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Fri May 30, 2008 6:33 am

to be honest i looked through this a few times and can't find the joke in question!
this was issue 50 we were talking about wasn't it?

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Fri May 30, 2008 6:38 am

Yes yes.. can't belive you can't fi... snip

OK I'm not that evil ;)

Judging by the date of the thread it must have been issue 49 - unless subs got their copies incredibly early that month...

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri May 30, 2008 7:23 am

Issue 49, reference to a boy sitting on his dads lap...... - Thought it was slightly wrong at the time but what I find more wrong is the ad in general - Just don't like it. But it is just an ad.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri May 30, 2008 12:05 pm

I'm sure that Mary Whitehouse is spinning in her grave as we speak....
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

DanDare

Post by DanDare » Fri May 30, 2008 9:08 pm

Randall Flagg wrote:good points made there. appologise for going off at the deep end. Still feel that this over stepped the mark but as i the only one perhaps i a bit oversensitive on this one!! :wink:
I wouldn't go so far as to apologise. You're entitled to have your say.

I've not bought the magazine in awhile so I haven't seen the advert. Can't fault the effective job it's done though. It sparked a four page discussion.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sat May 31, 2008 4:27 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:Issue 49, reference to a boy sitting on his dads lap...... - Thought it was slightly wrong at the time but what I find more wrong is the ad in general - Just don't like it. But it is just an ad.
ah didn't get issue 49!

didn't like the cover!...(ducks quickly!)

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm

DanDare wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:good points made there. appologise for going off at the deep end. Still feel that this over stepped the mark but as i the only one perhaps i a bit oversensitive on this one!! :wink:
I wouldn't go so far as to apologise. You're entitled to have your say.

I've not bought the magazine in awhile so I haven't seen the advert. Can't fault the effective job it's done though. It sparked a four page discussion.
What was the advert for though? Some poorly written and poorly printed fanzine for all I could see. The advert couldn't have done a worse job if it had "do not buy this product" printed in a 72 point font across the page.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:20 pm

y only guess it that it appears to be some sort of attempt at a showcase for somebody's writing talents, though as somebody else pointed out, it's particularly badly-written and obtuse.
I'm surprised anyone would think this was any kind of feature, considering the really bad design. Obviously a case of someone buying themselves a column in RG.
I just read through issue 50 and 51 and noticed these jace's rant thing and competely agree with the above points. I dont have a problem with people writing crap, if they're enthused about something then who am I to say they shouldn't - I will just choose not to visit that website; however if it is a case of "buying themselves a column", then that's pretty darn sad!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:21 am

Having no idea what any of this thread is on about, I can only assume I saw the offending page as an advert and didn't bother reading any of it!?

By the way, do any children actually buy RG?
I wouldn't have though they would have any interest in it, and there are cheaper magazines with pictures of real games in that they could buy instead ;)