Playstation in the Mag

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:59 am

Indeed, RG should also cover new PC and 360 games because I don't want to buy 2 mags ;)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:46 pm

Dudley wrote:Indeed, RG should also cover new PC and 360 games because I don't want to buy 2 mags ;)
That's a silly argument, don't you think? DOS games are perfect content for a retro gaming magazine and should get as much attention as the other systems. I don't see why there should be a 10:1 ratio between 8-bit computer gaming and dos gaming coverage. Besides, the mag does feature a lot of 360 stuff already...

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:29 pm

I also enjoy Horse and Hound magainze - any chance Retro Gamer?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:31 pm

As someone who normally reads the "Coming Next Month" page first (I have a habit of reading magazines starting from the back), I'm not sure I should even be allowed to buy Retro Gamer. That aside, and the fact that I loathe all three Playstation generations despite having owned two of them also aside, PS1 games are fine in the mag for me. The "recent retro" is retro too.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:14 am

I think that it can be summed up by saying:

1. Retrogamer have to cover the old 8 bit stuff to keep the 30somethings an above happy.
2. They have to cover more recent retro consoles to keep the 20 Somethings happy.
3. They have to cover current gen games that have a retro feel / link to keep everyone happy.

To draw a line and say "Nothing covered after the 16 bits" would mean the mag plunging into a very niche corner and the risk of circulation reducing.

On a personal note I'd like nothing beyond 3do covered as I think that consoles and games in general underwent drastic change from then on but I enjoy articles on Playstation as It's my all time fave console...still have 3 of them now :lol:

From a business point of view, everything has to get a good suck of the sauce bottle....
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

CLOADM

Post by CLOADM » Tue May 06, 2008 5:18 pm

I'd love to see a Playstation feature - i had loads of the early games when they first came out (D, Psychic Detective, Starblade etc) wish i'd kept them now but i honestly didn't expect them to become collectable. Wierd isn't it? I'm even starting to think of some early PS2 games as retro now...
End Of Line

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed May 07, 2008 3:31 am

hydr0x wrote:I don't see why there should be a 10:1 ratio between 8-bit computer gaming and dos gaming coverage.
Because magazines dislike crossover, not least because it annoys readers. Chances are that if something's covered in TPCG, it's going to be a long time before it's covered in Retro Gamer (and vice-versa).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 07, 2008 7:42 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
hydr0x wrote:I don't see why there should be a 10:1 ratio between 8-bit computer gaming and dos gaming coverage.
Because magazines dislike crossover, not least because it annoys readers. Chances are that if something's covered in TPCG, it's going to be a long time before it's covered in Retro Gamer (and vice-versa).
GamesTM reprints of RG articles anyone?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed May 07, 2008 7:52 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote: Because magazines dislike crossover, not least because it annoys readers. Chances are that if something's covered in TPCG, it's going to be a long time before it's covered in Retro Gamer (and vice-versa).
GamesTM reprints of RG articles anyone?
I was thinking the same thing early on in this thread, it's fine for the articles to be reprinted in GAMEStm, sometimes only a month apart but because Imagines "new" magazine is out we are expected to buy another publication and most likey get stung as we have been in the past just to read about the DOS games that should be covered in Retrogamer anyway...
Poke your new PC mag up your bottom and start giving us more retro DOS games and less excuses please...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 07, 2008 8:08 am

I did buy the first issue of the new mag.

Didn't like it. Didn't buy any more.

Had a look at the retro content of it on the newsies shelf, but mostly the selections haven't appealed to me (well, not enough to shell out the cost of the mag for just one or two articles).

A few years back I bought loads of PC mags every month, read everything and devoured PC info. Now I'm sick of it - its all so repetitive. There's only so many gfx card reviews or how-to's you can read. I didn't find the new mag to be anything spectacularly new, it could be any one of several similar mags available if you didn't look at the cover.

I'll hazard a rough guess that there's one 'lead' retro article each month that might be worth a look and the remaining couple are patchy hit or miss (purely in terms of game selection, not in writing quality, just in case anyone gets worked up).

Might appeal to some, possibly many, but not really my cup of tea. I'll stick with GamesTM for my PC coverage. Can we get reprints of the PC mag stuff in there seeing as its not unheard of?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed May 07, 2008 8:14 am

I picked up the debut TPCG and to be honest it wasn't so much the re-used RG content that put me off, but the over-written and slightlly inpenetrable main content, particularly the style of the reviews. Coudn't connect with much of it at all. But if the writers have calmed down a bit and there's now a bit more original retro content I may pick it up again sometime.

1500graham

Re: Playstation in the Mag

Post by 1500graham » Sat May 24, 2008 4:51 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:So, with Medieval in the current and GTA featured in the next does this mean the door is now open for lots more Playstation features in the future?

I keep on and on about this but a feature on Driver would be great.

Also a retroinspection would be cool.........
Loved the Driver 1 & 2 games and it would be great to see them in the mag. Driver 3 was offensive though, made me break my joy pad!
"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

bigfreakypossum

Post by bigfreakypossum » Sun May 25, 2008 3:10 am

hydr0x wrote:DOS games are perfect content for a retro gaming magazine and should get as much attention as the other systems. I don't see why there should be a 10:1 ratio between 8-bit computer gaming and dos gaming coverage.
Opa-Opa wrote:Poke your new PC mag up your bottom and start giving us more retro DOS games and less excuses please...
I started a thread about this a few months ago and got a lot of replies. But Retro Gamer just doesn't seem interested in classic PC titles.
One toot on this whistle will send you to a far away land!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun May 25, 2008 5:29 am

We never really got an answer why N-Revolution (now absurdly expensive again for some reason) doesn't impinge on Ninty retro coverage but apparently the very presence of TPCG does.

It's a shame because both are good mags, but N-Revolution's sudden £2 price increase and worse, stuffing it in a bag so I can't even see if it might be worth that has lost a sale there.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun May 25, 2008 5:56 am

bigfreakypossum wrote:
hydr0x wrote:DOS games are perfect content for a retro gaming magazine and should get as much attention as the other systems. I don't see why there should be a 10:1 ratio between 8-bit computer gaming and dos gaming coverage.
Opa-Opa wrote:Poke your new PC mag up your bottom and start giving us more retro DOS games and less excuses please...
I started a thread about this a few months ago and got a lot of replies. But Retro Gamer just doesn't seem interested in classic PC titles.
We've got a making of the eye of the beholder trilogy next month, and there was indiana jones this month. We do cover old PC games.

Maybe not exclusive PC DOS games, but that will change with the making of Tie Fighter.