Playstation in the Mag

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:11 pm

mandelbrot78 wrote:
Gabe wrote:How about some Lucasarts coverage that *isn't* an adventure title? How about Tie Fighter or X-Wing?
Or how about some Lucasfilm coverage which isn't a Star Wars tie in? Like The Eidolon, Koronis Rift, Ballblazer, Rescue on Fractalus! (or Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe for something newer)?
Issue 44 has a Making of Rescue on Fractalus?!

As for the others, these things take time you know ;)

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:57 am

Oops! I forgot that. :oops: And it was a great article! I read various stuff on magazines and the net and then I get confused on where I read what...I thought it was in Gamasutra...

Anyway, my response was more of a complaint towards Lucasarts. They released such great and innovative titles and later they became just the "Star Wars" company (some Star Wars games are excellent though). They seem to be changing direction nowadays, which is a good thing.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:36 am

mandelbrot78 wrote:Oops! I forgot that. :oops: And it was a great article! I read various stuff on magazines and the net and then I get confused on where I read what...I thought it was in Gamasutra...

Anyway, my response was more of a complaint towards Lucasarts. They released such great and innovative titles and later they became just the "Star Wars" company (some Star Wars games are excellent though). They seem to be changing direction nowadays, which is a good thing.
Mmm... David Fox has a fine sense of humour and wasted no time in pointing out the irony that they weren't allowed to do any SW games at Lucasfilm during the time he worked there, though he was itching to, while "nowadays that's all they do." ;)

David

Post by David » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:45 am

I can't believe it was so long ago that the PS1 came out.

I remember I got mine with Fifa 96, but spent most of xmas morning playing the demo disc that came with it (Destruction Derby was awesome!)

quantum

Post by quantum » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:33 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
quantum wrote:Maybe if I'm really lucky we'll get some DOS games? Yes, I know DOOM was DOS, but was so successful that it was really multi-format.
You might want to check out Total PC Gaming, which has three or four DOS/old PC titles covered each month in its Redux section.
Will do. Turning to the dark side after becoming an ex-Edge subscriber!
djcarlos wrote: How about more of the Cinemaware titles?

Wings & Rocket Ranger spring to mind.
I second that. :)

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:23 am

Is this thread called Amiga in the mag?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:42 am

I agree there should be more Commodore Playstation in the mag, it was a great 8-bit Nintendo machine.

Has that covered most of the bases :wink:

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:38 am

David wrote:I can't believe it was so long ago that the PS1 came out.

I remember I got mine with Fifa 96, but spent most of xmas morning playing the demo disc that came with it (Destruction Derby was awesome!)
I remember playin that on the demo disc for hours too. Destruction Derby series has to be one of the most under-appreciated series ever. So much violence and aggression!!!

Pinacle definitely Destruction Derby Arenas on PS2...That game jus rocks soooo much!!!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:21 am

Was Destruction Derby 2 for me - the first demo I played for my PS, then I rented the full game straight away - it was heaven :)
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

Post by * » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:02 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:The next three issue all feature making ofs a Playstation game.

For anyone upset about this, rest assured that they will be never more than six pages in length and will be greatly outgunned by 8 and 16-bit content.

RG will always predominately be an 8/16-bit magazine but that doesn't mean we won't cater for our younger readers.
Fixed. :)

JimMiller

Post by JimMiller » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:50 pm

Will there be any RPG's covered for the Playstation in future? A lot of these didn't come out in the UK unfortunately, but they did come out in the US so can still be played in English? I'm thinking Xenogears, Lunar 1 and 2, Tales of Destiny 1 and 2, Legend of Mana, Star Ocean (this did come out in UK) etc. There are an absolute stack of them. These Japanese style RPG's won't be everybody's cup of tea on here I'm sure but I'd love to read about them, what do you guys think? Some of the SNES RPG stuff like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 3 (or have these been covered ?) would be cool also.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:52 am

I have to jump on the DOS band wagon here. I definitely would like a bit more DOS gaming (although Doom, Magic Carpet and Might & Magic were there, I know), take away some 8-bit computer stuff for that ;) Like that pointless obscure UK computers article (sorry @author) that basically only was about the known ones already covered in separate features :/

May I suggest games like Colonization, Terra Nova (maybe a Looking Glass feature?!), Ecstatica or System Shock?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:35 am

At present, Total PC Gaming has a retro section with three or so DOS/early Windows games covered every month—check it out.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:13 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:At present, Total PC Gaming has a retro section with three or so DOS/early Windows games covered every month—check it out.
Not available over here. And I'm certainly not paying for a mag I don't want just because of five pages of content that I could hope to find within the specialized mag I subscribed to ;) But thanks for trying :D

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:22 am

hydr0x wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:At present, Total PC Gaming has a retro section with three or so DOS/early Windows games covered every month—check it out.
Not available over here. And I'm certainly not paying for a mag I don't want just because of five pages of content that I could hope to find within the specialized mag I subscribed to ;) But thanks for trying :D

I agree with this - just because it's covered in another mag doesn't mean that Retro Gamer shouldn't cover it - I don't want to have to shell out for several magazines just so as I can read the retro sections of only a few pages.
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE