Playstation in the Mag

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:50 pm

Dan1980 wrote:... and my 360(please dont cover that just yet) :wink:
They already do, there's far more 360 stuff in the mag every month than there is DC for example...

quantum

Post by quantum » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:45 am

necronom wrote:I don't consider the Playstation to be retro, but I don't mind a few articles every so often.

I find it a bit sad that there isn't much Amiga coverage, when that is much more retro than the PS.
Exactly! :D

I've been subscribing for 6 months now and am still awaiting some juicy Amige coverage.

Maybe if I'm really lucky we'll get some DOS games? Yes, I know DOOM was DOS, but was so successful that it was really multi-format.

quantum

Post by quantum » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:52 am

necronom wrote:More computer coverage (rather than consoles, and excluding the PC), is always appreciated by me.
Sorry replied to the previous post before seeing this PC bit... grrr!
I want PC coverage, but of old DOS games. Probably in a small minority here, but does anyone remember the early Epic games (i.e. One Must Fall, Epic Pinball, Jazz Jackrabbit), Strike Fleet, Catacombs of the Abyss, etc.

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:51 am

quantum wrote:
necronom wrote:More computer coverage (rather than consoles, and excluding the PC), is always appreciated by me.
Sorry replied to the previous post before seeing this PC bit... grrr!
I want PC coverage, but of old DOS games. Probably in a small minority here, but does anyone remember the early Epic games (i.e. One Must Fall, Epic Pinball, Jazz Jackrabbit), Strike Fleet, Catacombs of the Abyss, etc.
I agree. Perhaps the PC was behind in action games but, by 1990, it was far ahead of pretty much everything else when it came to strategy games, RPGs, adventures and simulators.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:10 pm

quantum wrote:
necronom wrote:I don't consider the Playstation to be retro, but I don't mind a few articles every so often.

I find it a bit sad that there isn't much Amiga coverage, when that is much more retro than the PS.

I've been subscribing for 6 months now and am still awaiting some juicy Amige coverage.

Maybe if I'm really lucky we'll get some DOS games? Yes, I know DOOM was DOS, but was so successful that it was really multi-format.
Crikey, is it that long since we've covered some Amiga games?
Better rectify that with a six page making of one of Lucasarts best adventures in issue 51 then...

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:25 pm

Huzah for Amiga :)
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:10 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Crikey, is it that long since we've covered some Amiga games?
Better rectify that with a six page making of one of Lucasarts best adventures in issue 51 then...
Eh...you'd better cover some Amiga original games; not PC conversions!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:15 am

mandelbrot78 wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Crikey, is it that long since we've covered some Amiga games?
Eh...you'd better cover some Amiga original games; not PC conversions!
Oh hush now, I played it on the Amiga, that should be enough for you. ;)

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:45 am

At least tell me you had a HDD. Otherwise disk swapping would have been a nightmare. :)

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:01 am

I almost finished MI2 on Amiga with disc swapping. My save disc got corrupted when I had found all the 4 map pieces though... :evil:

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:45 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
quantum wrote:

Crikey, is it that long since we've covered some Amiga games?
How about some Lucasarts coverage that *isn't* an adventure title? How about Tie Fighter or X-Wing?

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:52 am

Gabe wrote:How about some Lucasarts coverage that *isn't* an adventure title? How about Tie Fighter or X-Wing?
Or how about some Lucasfilm coverage which isn't a Star Wars tie in? Like The Eidolon, Koronis Rift, Ballblazer, Rescue on Fractalus! (or Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe for something newer)?

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:57 am

Any Amiga coverage is good enough for me - there's simply not enough. Give me some Moonstone or something please! :)

SWOS will do for now :P (or was that in 43 - don't have that one yet)
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:27 am

quantum wrote:Maybe if I'm really lucky we'll get some DOS games? Yes, I know DOOM was DOS, but was so successful that it was really multi-format.
You might want to check out Total PC Gaming, which has three or four DOS/old PC titles covered each month in its Redux section.
Overheat wrote:SWOS will do for now

SWOS was covered in my Sensible Soccer making-of (issue 43, p88).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:09 pm

How about more of the Cinemaware titles?

Wings & Rocket Ranger spring to mind.