Official feedback for ISSUE 49

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:49 pm

aztecca wrote:ive been everwere in birmingham to and i cant find a copy anywere just subscribed but means ive missed ish 49 the first one since issue 10
Well you wont have missed it, just phone up for the single issue and order it over the phone. Or just get it here..

http://www.imagineshop.co.uk/latest_mags.php

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:59 pm

Limbrooke wrote:For Monaco GP in the 10 Best Never Heard of section, did this see any ports in a compilation besides Sega Ages Memorial Selection Vol 2 on Saturn? I ask since Mame doesn't seem to support it, or I cannot find it elsewhere.
The Saturn version is the only one that resembles the coin-op. There was one for the SG-1000 too, but it's Monaco GP in name only.

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:04 pm

there's always ebay :)
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

108 Stars

Post by 108 Stars » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:11 am

BTW, Street Fighter Alpha 2 for SNES was released in PAL-territory; so it is most likely it will be released on our Virtual Console service in the near future.
But I don´t see why anyone would invest money into VC-downloads instead of playing the real thing.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:12 am

SFA2 on SNES uses the S-DD1 chip though and it's only SFA2 and Star Ocean that uses such a chip, so either they'll have to rip off code from existing emulators or figure out how to emulate it themselves just for one game.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:52 am

108 Stars wrote:BTW, Street Fighter Alpha 2 for SNES was released in PAL-territory; so it is most likely it will be released on our Virtual Console service in the near future.
But I don´t see why anyone would invest money into VC-downloads instead of playing the real thing.
Oh I don't know.
The VC games I've played appear to be identical to the originals, and I'd guessing that a VC copy of Alpha 2 is going to be far cheaper than the cart original.

I'd agree that there's something wonderful about owning the original game, but I'm a family man and buying expensive retro games and finding the space for them isn't my main priority. Services like the VC, PSN and Live Arcade provide a very handy alternative for me.

interface72

Post by interface72 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:56 am

Has everybody managed to pick up a copy of RG 49? It's just that I've not be able to find a single copy in the North West and the big main street suppliers have not even had a delivery of this issue.

Is it just me, or is it truly grim up north? (Where issue 49s concerned) :?:

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:16 pm

interface72 wrote:Has everybody managed to pick up a copy of RG 49? It's just that I've not be able to find a single copy in the North West and the big main street suppliers have not even had a delivery of this issue.

Is it just me, or is it truly grim up north? (Where issue 49s concerned) :?:
Same in the west midlands mate had a day of work today ive just got home after trawling all over birmingham and solihull looking for a copy to no avail picked up a couple of bargain games though got gradius v and marvel vs capcom 2 on ps2 for £2.99 each in cash convertors

romanista

Post by romanista » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:47 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:
LeeT wrote:Retro Shamer - Not played this. Might be a good idea to include the format in the sidebar?

you ain't missing much believe me.
its as bad as mentioned in the mag. My dear brother (pillock of the year) chose this OVER Fifa.
It does pay like a dog.
one of those ugly Pug dogs.
i knew i should have bought those glasses for him that year.....
interestingly, there is a version of iss for the snes in a brazalian special with a bit the same opening screen and stuff..
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:22 pm

I must say, I'm also in the "not caring for virtual games" camp. I mean, yes, it's all good and well if the game is improved like many on XBL Arcade, but I'd much rather own an original than have a virtual game.

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:11 pm

Not the best issue for a while sadly. Nothing really grabbed me. Just abit bland overall and the two "list" features just felt like filler.

Quite enjoyed the feature on the 8 bit micros but it felt rather lacking. Would have been nice to have a quick top 10 of games for some of the more obscure computers, after all the mag is called Retro *Gamer*.

Sorry, but I pretty much usually read the magazine cover to cover and there were quite a few articles I started to read this month and then felt like I'd go back to them later but never did.

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:07 pm

Let's face it - not every issue will please every reader. I'd say a lot of people read the magazine for nostalgia and therefore will only be "turned on" if it involves games/hardware that they've experienced in the past. But then there's a lot that read to discover new (read: old) gems that they haven't heard of / played before.

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:41 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
Limbrooke wrote:For Monaco GP in the 10 Best Never Heard of section, did this see any ports in a compilation besides Sega Ages Memorial Selection Vol 2 on Saturn? I ask since Mame doesn't seem to support it, or I cannot find it elsewhere.
The Saturn version is the only one that resembles the coin-op. There was one for the SG-1000 too, but it's Monaco GP in name only.
You got that right.

After checking a few more articles around here, there might be hope to try it out other than via the Saturn. I wager you have an arcade/cab nearby for keeping up to date with it... or you also just played the Saturn game. :lol:

Good show on tossing in Alstare Extreme with the lot. I'd heard of it however, as you're aware of course. I suppose it's getting better with age, otherwise, it is definitely a standout among the lesser known racers out there.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:20 am

Overheat wrote:Let's face it - not every issue will please every reader. I'd say a lot of people read the magazine for nostalgia and therefore will only be "turned on" if it involves games/hardware that they've experienced in the past. But then there's a lot that read to discover new (read: old) gems that they haven't heard of / played before.
True that not every issue will please every reader but I'm usually keen to read most things providing they are well written. This month, I dunno, I tried a few of the features and they just didn't draw me in.

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:49 pm

I'd agree that there's something wonderful about owning the original game, but I'm a family man and buying expensive retro games and finding the space for them isn't my main priority.
Darran, maybe you should cut down on your Hi-Def collection? :D
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club