Official feedback for ISSUE 49

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kelp7

Official feedback for ISSUE 49

Post by kelp7 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:22 am

Top 25 beat 'em ups: Retro Gamer reveals the greatest brawlfests of all time. SF II fans, prepare to get very upset.

Top ten racers you've never heard of: Peeved by the selection in the recent top 25 racers, Stuart Campbell retaliates by revealed the best ten racers you've never heard of.

The making of Medieval: Find out how the creator of James Pond went from 2D to 3D

The making of Skweek and Super Skweek: He's the cutest character to come out of France. Find out about the genesis of the two Skweek games.

Complete history: Might and Magic: After 22 long years, Might and Magic remains as popular as ever. Discover what all the fuss is about.

Retroinspection: Best of British: Martyn Carroll proudly hoists the Union Flag and celebrates some of Britain's finest 8-bit computers.

Company Profile: Epyx: It was behind some of the best 8-bit sports games and also created the Lynx. Join us for an Epyx adventure.

The making of Pastfinder: Shoot 'em ups were ten a penny on 8-bit computers, but seldom did they match the brilliance of Pastfinder.

The making of Wizard: Discover what happened when a director who hated videogames teamed up with Nintendo.

And much, much more!

kelp 7 said:
just popped through the letterbox. Lovely! Very nice cover... like the ol' zzap64 days etc with that kind of artwork
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

CraigGrannell

Re: Issue 49

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:31 am

kelp7 wrote:just popped through the letterbox. Lovely! Very nice cover... like the ol' zzap64 days etc with that kind of artwork
Not surprising, really, since it's actually Oli Frey artwork (from Zzap! 20, fact fans).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Cloud Atlas

Post by Cloud Atlas » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:59 am

I had a brief flick through this morning. It looks to be a great issue, but issue 50 looks to be the best of them all.

kelp7

Re: Issue 49

Post by kelp7 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:36 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
kelp7 wrote:just popped through the letterbox. Lovely! Very nice cover... like the ol' zzap64 days etc with that kind of artwork
Not surprising, really, since it's actually Oli Frey artwork (from Zzap! 20, fact fans).
Heh! Right, that kind've explains it :) Or indeed, completely explains it. Good work indeed!
MZ-80A Secrets

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:37 am

Cracking issue. I have to say RG seems to have been getting better and better lately. Particularly enjoy the addition of lots more screenshots and related pages of old flyers and adverts.

Only had a skim through so far, but definitely keep the mag moving in the current direction.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:08 am

A pity that whoever wrote the #4 entry in the beat 'em ups piece apparently couldn't decide what game they were writing about, unless there's some kind of strange IK/IK+ hybrid I don't know about.

Good to see some excitement about the utterly f***ing brilliant Space Invaders Extreme in the news section, though. If the team don't give this a Sizzler, I'll have to risk my writing for future issues of the mag by nipping down to Brighton to smack Darran and Stu over the head with something heavy.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:23 am

CraigGrannell wrote:I'll have to risk my writing for future issues of the mag by nipping down to Brighton to smack Darran and Stu over the head with something heavy.
You got long arms then? Bournemouth is a fair few miles you know!!! :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:31 am

Really am liking the old skool (folds arms) Crash/Zzap style corner graphic in the bottom left, hope that stays on forever

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:35 am

Jeez, this one has come around quickly. Hopes its on the mat when I get home :)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:16 pm

markopoloman wrote:You got long arms then? Bournemouth is a fair few miles you know!!! :lol:
See, it just shows how WONDERFUL a moderator I am, because I'm not going to rectify my obvious screw-up by editing lots of posts. But, yes, I'll nip down to Bournemouth (via Brighton, obv., for no reason whatsoever) and give Darran and Stu evil Chinese burns if they don't say nice things about Space Invaders Extreme! Mwahahahaha!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:21 pm

I'm really not fond of the huge diagonal swipe thing we appear to have adopted.

Does nothing for an otherwise ace cover.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:31 pm

Dudley wrote:I'm really not fond of the huge diagonal swipe thing we appear to have adopted.

I would disagree with this wholeheartedly. So what happens now?
MZ-80A Secrets

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:36 pm

kelp7 wrote:
Dudley wrote:I'm really not fond of the huge diagonal swipe thing we appear to have adopted.

I would disagree with this wholeheartedly. So what happens now?
You'll both be invited to take part in a duel with pistols at the RG offices to see which opinion is going to change the way they present the mag.

Either that or nothing at all, what do you reckon?. :wink:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:40 pm

I would disagree with the beat 'em ups listed.
There is no way on this earth that Number 2 is better than numbers 5 or 9 and number 12 isn't even a beat em up..?

I'm starting to think that these top 25 lists are populated with choices that people know are full of wrong and are included to get people like me to start kicking off about the poor choices..

It's almost as bad as the constant reminders that the Ed and his chums are all CPC fans, but not quiet...

:D

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:48 pm

Who on earth wrote the 'Retro Rated' review for Super Street Fighter 2? Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES wasn't a Japan and US exclusive release at all, it was released here too (albiet in limited quantities), and I've still got my (PAL) copy as well.