Binders

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mayhem

Re:

Post by Mayhem » Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:They were strange ones, although at least the elasticated strings were an improvement over the plastic equivalents in the old Newsfield binders.
True... you could NEVER get anything out of the old Newsfield binders!

Still the best were the old Future "rack and pin" binders, where you have the slots top and bottom and then inserted long metal rods inside each mag and slipped it into the rails.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

R. Prime

kickin this off again

Post by R. Prime » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:39 am

Still no sign...

Just gauging curiosity - I'm thinking of getting some replica Zzap! binders made up, as my chances of getting 9 or so originals are very slim..!

Would anyone else be interested in buying any If I did so? I've done the design for the gold blocking and got a couple of quotes - I'd have to get a minimum of 50.

Also I wonder if anyone ever got one of the "commodore force" binders. I'd be interested in seeing some photos of one for the purposes of making up some replicas too.

8)

PS Still keen to see some RG binders with a new design - keep up the value of the old ones eh

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:55 am

If they were Crash then maybe, but Zzap aint my thing. What about a joint binder for the 3 8 bit mags?

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:28 am

http://tinyurl.com/zpcyh

This guys got a binder for sale on e-bay, a bit of a bargain as well.

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:39 am

Lol. I wouldn't call £45 a bargain.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:14 am

Mm. Good to see he's not ripping anyone off or anything. No, wait—the other one.

When I sold a couple of RG binders on eBay earlier this year, I started them off at the rather more affordable price of 99p.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:28 am

45 quid ?? What a joke ! Could at least put it down at 99p starting price and see the bidding frenzy start and get a decent market price for it. Hopefully no one will buy this to encourage this bloke to try any more of these laughable auctions

What next ? Selling Moonwalker for 150 quid buy it now ? ;)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:32 am

Don't forget the binder is rarer than the mag itself now, which, judging by this thread would seem to hold some truth.

R. Prime

Post by R. Prime » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:53 am

Yeah i see there are some Crash binders with mags there too

Click me if you have £200

could quite easily do some crash ones too if there was interest.

When I get the Zzap ones done/if I did Crash ones - cost would probably be the same price as the old retro gamer ones - like £8.99 including postage

Yeah some bloke was trying to flog 7 original Zzap binders for £70 ea buy it now previously. No one bought em...

fgasking

Re: kickin this off again

Post by fgasking » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:32 pm

Not a bad idea actually... i've only ever managed to get the one Zzap binder over time... and i've love to house my collection in a full set of binders.

I expect they would be fairly simple to reproduce, and make as authentic as possible too... but then I haven't got a clue :-)
R. Prime wrote:Still no sign...

Just gauging curiosity - I'm thinking of getting some replica Zzap! binders made up, as my chances of getting 9 or so originals are very slim..!

Would anyone else be interested in buying any If I did so? I've done the design for the gold blocking and got a couple of quotes - I'd have to get a minimum of 50.

Also I wonder if anyone ever got one of the "commodore force" binders. I'd be interested in seeing some photos of one for the purposes of making up some replicas too.

8)

PS Still keen to see some RG binders with a new design - keep up the value of the old ones eh
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:33 pm

This is the 100th post in the BINDERS thread!

So just as a reminder............

WE WANT BINDERS, NOW STOP IGNORING US AND GIVE US SOME BLOODY BINDERS RIGHT BLOODY NOW!

Right - you got that Darren?????

:lol:

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:04 am

felgekarp wrote:Don't forget the binder is rarer than the mag itself now, which, judging by this thread would seem to hold some truth.
Well the 'rare' issue 1 of Retro Gamer recently sold for just over 10 pounds. You are now trying to make a ton of money on a binder you got cheaply. Why not put it on for 99p and if it goes for a ton then yes people really want it, you'll find out the going rate anyway.

What did you do ? See this thread then rub your hands together and think i know i'll put my spare one on ebay for silly money ?!

The days of Retro Gamer issue 1 going for 70 quid or a binder going for 45 quid are long long gone.

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:33 am

felgekarp wrote:Don't forget the binder is rarer than the mag itself now, which, judging by this thread would seem to hold some truth.
Just had a look at the couple the seller retrojapan has sold recently...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Retro-Gamer-Binde ... dZViewItem

He sold one recently for 25.99, wasnt buy it now, was a normal auction with 2 bids. In the description he says 'get your bids in early as the last one sold for 25 pounds' !

Someone else sold another recently for 26.25 with a few bids.

Are you sure you arent that ebay seller ! So here is the seller, he spots a thread saying 'we want a binder' and what happens ? Mr Greedy suddenly lists one for 45 pounds buy it now. Just seems a coincidence he was selling them at 20-25 quid and now suddenly one on at 45 quid buy it now ! Very poor.

Yeah we all want to make a profit on ebay but by ripping off fellow retro gamers its not good is it ? I mean if the seller had just 2 bidders on his last binder for 26 quid why on earth does he think people might buy one for 45 quid ?!?!

What next ? That ebay seller sees a thread here from a bloke saying 'i'm really after this game i used to play as a kid' and then you chuck it on for 90 quid buy it now ? Hes just a vulture waiting here to see what overpriced items you could put on which people may want !

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:51 am

psj3809 wrote:The days of Retro Gamer issue 1 going for 70 quid or a binder going for 45 quid are long long gone.
Actually, I doubt that's the case—it's just the luck of the draw regarding when you sell and when the "right" people are looking. I got a complete set of Retro Gamer on eBay last year—binders, extras, the lot. It cost something like £80 including postage and by the time I'd sold off all the spares, the entire set ending up costing me £17. A bargain, I'm sure you'll agree. The next week, Retro Gamer #1 went on eBay on its own for about £40.

Similarly, I bought a bulk load of Zzap!64s, kept a few and re-sold them—as it turns out, at a big loss (although I did finally snag an almost mint issue 1). A few weeks later, a lot with half the issues I sold on went for over twice as much.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:21 am

Well i often look at finished auctions on ebay, the last few issue 1's have gone for a very cheap price. But like you say the market does change but i myself use the advanced search to look for completed items so i can guess roughly what the price might be.

Tis poor though, a bloke selling them for much less then sees people talking about it and thinks 'i'll bump up the price to nearly twice as much' !

Nearly as bad as the seller who tried selling the Michael Jackson Moonwalker game on the Speccy for 250 quid, then a buy it now of 200, then 150 and then gave up. Because the Michael Jackson trial was on at that time he thought he could make some money off it ! Backfired bigtime