Your best gaming moment

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ncf1

Re: Your best gaming moment

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:17 pm

For me, I don't think anything could surpass the tense atmosphere first encountered as a youngster playing Beyond Castle Wolfenstein on the Apple II. The raspy, synthesized voices of the German guards were absolutely terrifying - especially when encountering them deep in the bunker, having set the bomb to blow up the place and trying like mad to remember the route to escape (many years later of course I realised that drawing a map helped things just a bit). I still play that game today and find the sounds coming from that game amazing, but as a kid and not having experienced voice in any game before - or even knowing that it was possible - was just mindblowing.

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:03 pm

The first time I went into a Japanese game shop. So many minty fresh Super Famicom games lined up! I almost had a heart attack. The respect they have for retro, and for condition, puts everyone else to shame.

GameOver

Post by GameOver » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:18 am

In a small cinema arcade playing Wargods, when a kid walks up and challenges me to a 2-player game. He wasn't very happy afterwards as I won every round. I didn't have the heart to tell him I'd spent the previous 12-months programming the home conversions.

Guinless

Post by Guinless » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:26 pm

Best gaming moment for me has to be when Mayhem in Monsterland dropped onto my doormat. Had got so hyped up about that game, and was not disappointed. I believe I even gave up masturbation for a while just to play it.

Another great (but admittedly naughty) moment was the day I discovered MAME, and got Pac Man up and running on my old 486DX.

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:10 am

I have a lot of moments where I was blown completely away by a video game. To me, the older games always did a really great job of telling story through graphical theme and atmosphere, something that newer games have trouble with. Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest- I was at a friend's house when we were kids. He puts the game into his Nintendo, and I could feel my face get hot with excitement over the sound the whip made when it collided with enemies. Metroid made me feel helpless, isolated and alone with it's obscure soundtrack and barren worlds. Mega Man 3 made me late to everything, and when I finally beat the game, it was a huge wave of excitement that came after tireless attempts after school. These are three examples of ways I have and will always come back to retro games.

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:25 am

Absolutely every part of Illusion of Gaia (I think it's called Illusion of Time elsewhere).

It remains a favorite of mine to this day, and I remember being utterly HYPNOTIZED by it as a kid. And me with my amazingly short attention span.... yet I couldnt get away from it.

Probably my most memorable gaming experience, that.

dwitefry

Post by dwitefry » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:24 am

Have I posted already? Ah I always tell the same story anyway:

Mine is finding a Sega Bus at what I remember as a large bootsale off the motorway and beating a whole bus full of teens and twenty somethings on Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - when i was six :). I rarely if ever brag but hell yeah that was awesome - it's only been downhill since then.

retrowow

Post by retrowow » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:29 pm

Completing street fighter 2 on the snes then using action replay to use the bosses in sillouette only lol

Oh completing harrier attach on amstrad 464 and finally typing in all the coding in the amstrad user manual to create the card game pontoon only to realise there was no instructions on how to play, a waste of 4 long hours

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0

Post by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:15 pm

For me it was rediscovering Wild Gunman in the Cafe 80's. That is until some little hobbit idiot said it was like a baby's toy! Baby's toy?!

ewjim

Post by ewjim » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:27 pm

I'm torn between a couple - firstly my brother and I getting a C64 for xmas 198X (no idea when) - first game we put on was Rambo first blood part 2 - was blown away how cool it was.

I think though it has to be playing the Dizzy games, the sheer amount of accomplishment I felt on Fantasy World Dizzy putting the rope around the crocodiles mouth and similarly dropping the bone and giving it legs before the big dog gets you were heart in mouth moments for me and I will never forget them.

shifter

Post by shifter » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:13 pm

The Greatest gaming moment of my life.... imagine around 13 years old (a long long time ago) staying at a hotel in Majorca family holiday, circa around 1980-1983.

There was a Moon Cresta arcade machine at this hotel 25 pestas per game . well it isnt hard to work out where all my holiday money went,after about a week there was a bit of a buzz around the pool that morning it transpired that the Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish had checked in the night before with his family.

A few nights later there i am playing away at Moon Cresta and i notice next to me is the man himself mr Dalgish showing his little lad the machine next to me and just generally looking around , i already had beaten the high score by some margin although the score was pretty poor,i just had to commit game suicide while he was looking of course making it look convincing.

Then enter my name on High score table. to which i posted WHUFC. (West ham United fc) got up and walked away head held very high.

Of course i look back now and think oh my what a donut but at 13 years of age it was a great gaming moment.

TauLore

Post by TauLore » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:43 pm

It has to be when I first met Elvin Atombender at the end of Impossible Mission and thinking yeah I did it.

Then again it could have been a lot later than that when I beat my mate at TOCA Touring Cars on the Playstation. He was ahead of me on Donnington circuit and was just entering the final straight when I pulled into the pits. Even though the Playstation took control of my car, I crossed the line before him and won the race. He called me a cheat for months.

HA HA HA. I still won!!!!