Your best gaming moment

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:49 am

Mine:

Sitting down to play Ultima 4 at 8pm on the family Apple IIe. I looked up an hour later, thinking "wow, it sure is cold in here". I looked around and all the lights in the house were off except the one where I was sitting. My parents and brother had all gone to bed and they had turned down the heat, which is why I was cold. I then looked at the clock - it was 4am. I'd been playing 8 straight hours and had no clue.

Tabe

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:21 am

The first time I had a go on a Playstation.

It was at my loaded mate's house and he had just got one of those new-fangled Sony consoles with Time Crisis and a GCon45, and a big telly (for the time) to play it on.

I got a little bit excited playing it, wrenched the gun out of the console, dragging the Playstation onto the floor from it's lofty perch.

Cue breaking of plastic, scratching of disc, pointing of finger, general blushing.

Followed by "Don't worry mate I'll get me dad to pick up another one on his way home from work."

Which he did. We were shooting again within the hour.

forestville

Post by forestville » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:33 pm

when I got F Zero on the Snes, and experiencing those Mode 7 graphics for the first time just blew me away.

8) :D
Press play on tape

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:18 pm

Finding places with coin-ops, either in town, when on vacation, or even on those fairs that traveled aboard ferries (climbing the stairs ever upwards and finding them felt like you were doing something you _shouldn't_ do - go back to the fair!).
And when your regular arcade got a new game of course.

Those were the days when you knew arcades were ages beyond what you could get at home...

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:11 am

Final Fantasy VII. Glandular fever. A month in bed. :D

Plus, some absolutely outstanding tournaments on Unirally with a load of mates. The swearing that game causes when you lose by milliseconds...
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Knight Lore

Post by Knight Lore » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:04 am

The newsagents on the way to school had a Moon Cresta Cab in the corner (we're talking about 1982 now guys, when I was in comprehensive!).

I used to pump about 40p in it each day, spending all my 'beef & onion pastie allowance'.

One day, I just got into the zone and scored over 25,000 on it. In school that day, because everyone knew my 3 letter high score nickname, loads of people were coming up to give me a pat on the back !

That was my most memorable gaming moment...

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:04 pm

psj3809 wrote:Best gaming moment was appearing in Crash and meeting a lot of the staff. The fashion police probably would arrest me for past crimes though looking back at it.
*cough* :)

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:02 pm

about a year and a half ago i re-discoverd old school gaming in the form of a nes and castlevania! now i just cant stop myself from buying any bit of gaming history i can get my grubby little fingers on i've even started buying odd cables and leads at boot-sales on the off chance i'll get the system they belong to!
Last edited by mohicankid on Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Dynamite Dan

Post by Dynamite Dan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:14 pm

Finally getting to the 3rd boss in Pong

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:52 am

Playing Mega Man 2 for the very first time on my Nes. I've been hooked ever since.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:54 am

My goodness I've had so many retro moments, but I have to say my most memorable video game moment is with a more modern console, the 32bit legend that is the Sony PlayStation. And as original as I'd like to be, again I have to disappoint by withholding obscurity and letting out the words, Final Fantasy VIII. Still one of the best games I've ever played, but my particularly favourite(est) moment comes in the space scene with Squall and Rinoa on the Ragnarok. There's just so much emotion in this scene, it grips me like I never thought a video game could; a lump in the throat, and a shiver down my spine as the FMV concludes. Pure gaming ecstasy.

Since then I've been trying to find games that bring out other emotions in a way I previously only thought possible by films and television (oh yeah, and that real life thing). Resident Evil was the first game to make me jump when those damned dogs jump through the window. I'm still scared of that corridor! But besides that, I'm still searching. I've heard good things about Longest Journey, so I'll be giving that one a try soon :)

Anyone else here had a moment in a video game that really opened your eyes to what games can do to your emotions? Don't tell me I'm the only wuss :P
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:03 pm

Doom 3 made me jump a ton, used to play it in the dark in the basement where my computer was, lights turned off. Headphones on, i used to jump like anything ! In the end i played some bits with the sound turned off ! Ahem

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:10 pm

Silent Hill 3 on PS2 is the only game which has spooked me so far.......
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:37 am

Hearing that annoying, ear grating two tone beep the first time I turned on my BBC Micro B :D
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:38 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Silent Hill 3 on PS2 is the only game which has spooked me so far.......
Fear and Fear Files completely freaked me out to the point I wouldn't play unless it was 1. daylight or 2. other people were in the house with me... :oops:
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image