Sorry to harp on about this but...PRICE

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Knight Lore

Post by Knight Lore » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:35 pm

Randall Flagg wrote:OK, i'll say this again. If you think it's over-priced...WHY THE HELL ARE YOU BUYING IT!!!????

You must on some deep level think it is worth the money otherwise you wouldn't right.....

Seems odd that you go out, pay the money for it and then come on the forum and drip about it???
Agree with you completely on this one. Like that old saying goes 'You pays yer money and takes yer choice'.

Bertie42

Cheers!

Post by Bertie42 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:29 am

Many thanks for the comments guys! As you so rightly point out, I pays my money and takes my choice. Interesting to see it's such a hot-topic still.

As for 'buying it and then come onto the forum and drip about it' well, that's feedback. And that's what I'm sure RG expects. Feedback can - sometimes - improve the magazine and the relationship between reader and mag. This has been a classic example. I take on board your comments about why it has to cost so much, even - say - compared to some of your other titles.

Although please don't stop people harping on about price on the forum. Not all of us are regular forum users. I bought the issue, had a beef and did something about it and have had my mind set right on a few issues. Job done.

Cheers!

Bertie

CraigGrannell

Re: Cheers!

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:28 am

Bertie42 wrote:As for 'buying it and then come onto the forum and drip about it' well, that's feedback. And that's what I'm sure RG expects. Feedback can - sometimes - improve the magazine and the relationship between reader and mag.
Totally. Constructive feedback is always welcomed by the mag and regular writers. Here's hoping you continue to read and contribute to the debates.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Bardman

Post by Bardman » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:12 pm

If someone knows that they really like the magazine, they really should try and buy a subscription. 8)

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:10 am

Bardman wrote:If someone knows that they really like the magazine, they really should try and buy a subscription. 8)
Been down that route and it didn't work out very well..
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:58 am

i think a fiver is quite reasonable. I mean, the amount of naff console games that come out and are being sold at £30-£50, which get played once, then put on the self/sold/given away/has arse wiped on and compare that to a measly five quid for a magazine that i always go back to month after month because i fancy a read of an article i missed first time round when i bought it.
I still go back to the older issues to have another read now.

to me, i still get my monies worth from the older issues.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:54 am

And unless you're insane or foreign, it's really only £3 anyway.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Dan1980

Post by Dan1980 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:01 pm

Lets face it, where would we be without RG. i say we are lucky to be able to buy a mag about a hobby such as ours i think that its made by retro gamers for retro gamers and for five pound[which is £1 cheaper than the 360 mag i also buy] is a bargain.
you cant rely on the net for all your retro needs and although there is some things im not interested in the mag sometimes, i still buy it as
there is a lot of knowledge to be found and even tells you what rare games in your collection are worth. i personally think keep up the good work guys and lets hope your still going when the 360 becomes retro :D :D :D

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:00 pm

On our newspaper shelves the price is over 8 Euro. I don't mind paying that.

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:47 am

For an import magazine here in Norway, I think the price is alright, and the magazine has very much content as well. Every time I buy it, I find it worth it.

cheeky_muffin

Post by cheeky_muffin » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Just to think that if it wasn't for these lovely publishers at IP then this magazine would have stayed dead and buried just over 3 years ago.

mamemeuster

Post by mamemeuster » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:47 pm

Virtually all mags are £5 now. Most of your current console mags are jam packed with ads and are filled with articles that could easily be grabbed from the net. RG however continually produces fresh interesting articles of the classic games and computers. I've been buying computer mags since 1983 and every issue is like a breath of fresh air. Its the only mag I read every article and page in it's entirity, which, tells a story of it's own.

My only grumble though is the price of the binders, I thought the old price was too high and now they've risen again. I'm finding it hard to justify almost 10 quid for a thin cardboard binder.

Great mag though chaps.

:)
Last edited by mamemeuster on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:20 pm

mamemeuster wrote:
My only grumble though is the price of the binders, I thought the old price was too high and now they've risen again. I'm finding it hard to justify almost 10 quid for a thin cardboard binder.

Great mag though chaps.

:)
Hear hear!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:21 am

i pay about €9 for the mag.i dont care though its monthly,good value for money.Made me buy a lot of games i never heard of before so its good anyway.You could save couple of lose change over the month and it adds up thats how i buy RG!,
Last edited by Fred83 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reech

Post by reech » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:51 pm

I do get the subscription price now, so that's good. But still, at a fiver a month, RG is one of the only magazines I ever read cover to cover, all the articles.
--reech