Overseas shipping costs (Europe)

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Does Imagine charge overseas subscribers to much?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 22

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:28 am

Yep not a bad price at all ! Not like he has to pay hugely over the top prices or that !

He seems to want the same price as UK residents ! Bit of a joke.

13 issues for £70 isnt bad at all !!! Not surprised they didnt bother sending him an answer !

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:59 am

As a completely random comparison I have the 30th anniversary issue of "Personal Computer World" here (which also has a cover price of £4.99).

It costs £39.99 a year to subscribe in the UK, £6 cheaper than the £45.50 they charge us for a year of RG-loving.

A year of RG in Europe is £70.
A year of PCW in Europe is £105.

(PCW also has a direct debit offer of 6 for £6 and a free back issues CD then £9.49 a quarter, marginally more than RG)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:08 am

I'm going to have a dollar each way in this debate as, as a fellow overseas person interested in the mag I know how much it costs, it's pretty hefty.
By the same token I can understand postage rates, especially air frieghted, and something the publisher has no choice but to pass to the customer.
Unfortunately, it's why I not only don't subscribe but don't buy the mag every month, as by the time it gets down here to NZ you're paying NZ$24 per mag, which is crazy. You can get a decent book here for that.

I do have a side suggestion for the Publishers, which with a niche mag like this may or may not pay for them- Why not set up a Retrogames Australia mag to distribute from down under, and ease postage costs to people here? Would it pay for you? depends on your customer base here. But I'd be a subscriber from issue one if you decided to set up here :)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:33 am

I think Retro Gamer's circulation would have to be significantly higher for Imagine to consider the possibility of overseas versions and/or distribution centres.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:57 pm

Damn, I had a gut feeling that would be the answer!

It's kind of a catch 22 situation though...the overseas sales won't go up any great deal because of the cost of the mag when it gets to the other side of the World...like any niche market mag, the price is a little higher than others on the market- which is of course understandable- But with the postage cost it just gets to the point where it's just not viable every month (And justifable to the wife :lol: )
It's hard to know what the answer is. Maybe a subscription thats sent by surface to keep costs down?
It is a mag I really enjoy, because of my age, passion for early stuff and lack big interest in newer stuff, more than any other gaming mag. I would love to subscribe but simply find it too pricey.
I will pick up that Emag though! While I much prefer the real mag, she's better than nothing! :)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:09 pm

kiwimike wrote:like any niche market mag, the price is a little higher than others on the market
As covered in another thread here, that's just not the case. Considering the amount of editorial content and low number of adverts, Retro Gamer compares very favourably with other gaming titles. In fact, as far as I'm aware, both Edge and games™, both of which sell considerably more copies than Retro Gamer, are only 50p cheaper, and many PC gaming titles are £6+.

As for subscriptions, the current price to RoW is £80.00, which is £6.66 per issue. Considering the news-stand price here is a fiver, you're getting airmail shipping for £1.66. That's not too terrible, and is easily comparable with subscriptions of other British magazines. As for surface costs, I doubt you'd end up with a much cheaper option—it might knock ten quid off the overall cost, but then it'd be up to eight weeks before the mag would arrive.

EDIT: That's not to say that I don't understand where you're coming from. Spending $200 on a mag subscription is a big outlay—although I don't know what the relative worth of a New Zealand dollar is compared to a British Pound.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:51 pm

Oh, I do see totally where you're coming from, and I wasn't having a go at the shelf price (Before postage), as I do believe it does compare favourably with other mags...just that as you say, circulation won't be as high as other current mags so would understand it being a little higher.

I have no probs with the mag- It's just the curse of where I live and our NZ$, which is roughly give or take the day equal to about 35p I think ATM.
The exchange rate and freight charges makes it expensive. Something I do understand you guys can't avoid.

Which is why I would absolutely LOVE an Australian distributed one, one I could collect from day 1. But that's a totally selfish thought/point of view, with no idea whether it would pay or not! :lol:

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:31 am

Yeah... That's the overall feeling with me and me mates here as wel... But again: the RG-staff is doing an excellent job! If it wasn't for them, we could go track down old ZZap64 copies to fullfill our retroneeds :)

Anyway, for us Europeans (or as you English says : overseas-people) it's a bad thing the pound is so high up, compared to the euro.
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:31 am

It's a lot better than it used to be, the euro at one point was worth less than the dollar, now it's about 1.6 Dollars to the monopoly note.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:39 am

kiwimike wrote:It's just the curse of where I live and our NZ$, which is roughly give or take the day equal to about 35p I think ATM.
What I was referring to is de-facto worth. At the moment, a US dollar gets you about 50p Sterling. However, a dollar in the US very roughly equates with a quid in the UK. I was curious as to what a dollar in NZ nets you compared to a quid here. Is NZ$100 like £100, or more like £50? That then makes it easier to figure out the 'worth' of a subscription in Sterling.
Which is why I would absolutely LOVE an Australian distributed one, one I could collect from day 1.
I'm sure Imagine would love the same—a version for the US, one for Aus, and so on. It'd be fantastic if Retro Gamer was pulling in 50,000 per month, but the reality of magazine production these days is that you only pull in the largest readers by appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Interestingly, though (and a little off topic), there was a report on magazines on the BBC recently. Most of the high-circulation magazines are in serious trouble, due to plummeting readership levels. However, at the niche end, things are actually going OK, because there's a core, dedicated, loyal market for each title, rather than relying solely on impulse purchase. I know two of the niche titles I write for (MacFormat and .net) have posted fantastic ABC rises over the past year or so, and while I've zero idea how Retro Gamer's sales are doing, here's hoping the mag's also benefiting from being different and unique and not dumbing down.

Knight Lore

Post by Knight Lore » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:05 pm

I saw that BBC report too - interesting. A lot of speculation on why magazine readership levels had plummeted but no conclusion as there is little concrete evidence to go on - simply that levels had plummeted.

Interestingly, up until 2 - 3 years ago I would buy religiously, every month, Empire, Retro Gamer, Edge, GamesTM, Fortean Times, SFX, Digital SLR, PC Format and Writing Magazine.

Every month. Cost me a fortune. And get this - while over the years my disposable income has gone up (and my outgoings have roughly remained the same), the amount I am willing to spend on magazines has gone down.

Now, the main way I get magazines on a regular basis is by accepting lots of these '3 issues for £1' deal (sometimes for 1p). It seems to be a fad at the moment and they don't seem to keep your details on a database to be able to refuse you at a later date. In other words, allowing a gap of a couple of months each time, I've had recurring subscriptions to PC Pro and Radio Times (to name but two) on a '3 months for £1' deal.

This doesn't answer the question of declining magazine sales (which of course, is different to declining readership ). Maybe it is that people are more aware of the wealth of websites on their chosen subject that are available on the internet these days ? Maybe it's because they feel they have 'outgrown' those magazines on some level ?

Answers on a postcard please...

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:32 pm

It's mostly because publishers no longer invest in magazines, and rates keep plummeting. Because of this, the quality of journalism is tending towards the lower quality you find online, meaning a lot of people give up on magazines entirely. The exception, in terms of quality (if not always in terms of rates) is in the niche sector, hence why readership levels in that area are stable or rising.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:14 pm

although i enjoy reading retro gamer i don't buy it every month simply becouse of the price of magazines lately (i can buy a paperback book for a similar price).
i usualy check out online to see if there is anything worth looking at...or grab a sneak peak in w.h.smiths before the staff remind me i'm not in a library!
i hate to think of the price if i lived oversea's
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:30 pm

mohicankid wrote:simply becouse of the price of magazines lately
Fair enough as a general point, but it's worth noting that Retro Gamer hasn't had a price rise since Imagine bought it, and is a pound cheaper than it was under Live when it began well over four years back.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:01 am

Well the Emags are a great idea and while I'd prefer the actual mag, it's a good cheaper option.

By the way, NZ $100 would be about 34 pounds at the moment. Which is why the mag gets so expensive when it gets here. But I still but the odd issue as it is great mag.