Overseas shipping costs (Europe)

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Does Imagine charge overseas subscribers to much?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 22

Igorthegreen

Overseas shipping costs (Europe)

Post by Igorthegreen » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:48 am

Superb fast delivery, apart from the fact they charge European customers a shamefull £70 subscription. Due to sending costs they say... My Retro-Gamer comes in with the Dutch-post (I live in Belgium), which is the cheapest in Europe... I know the RG-crew has nothing to do with it, but I haven't resigned my subscription because of this. I can get it cheaper in the magazine store, which isn't logical at all!!

I've mentioned this twice to the wonderfull subscription departement of Imagine Publishing, but they didn't even bother sending me an answer...
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:16 am

How many issues do you get for £70?

Dudley

Re: Overseas shipping costs (Europe)

Post by Dudley » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:09 am

Igorthegreen wrote:Superb fast delivery, apart from the fact they charge European customers a shamefull £70 subscription. Due to sending costs they say... My Retro-Gamer comes in with the Dutch-post (I live in Belgium), which is the cheapest in Europe... I know the RG-crew has nothing to do with it, but I haven't resigned my subscription because of this. I can get it cheaper in the magazine store, which isn't logical at all!!

I've mentioned this twice to the wonderfull subscription departement of Imagine Publishing, but they didn't even bother sending me an answer...
It doesn't matter how much the dutch posts costs, the Royal Mail charges a set fee for the whole of Europe, from Ireland, to Portugal, to Belgium to Italy to Cyprus.

13 issue for £70 is barely over the UK shop price, (£5.38 (€7.04) vs £4.99) so I'm impressed if you can get it much cheaper than 7 euro in your shops, that said you have to remember that shop copies are sent in massive bulb by distributors. Yours is sent as a single package.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:28 am

You get 13 issues for £70.

Bulb or not, all I'm interested in, is in what I pay for my RG. Other UK publishers make you an offer, if you subscribe, even in Belgium - Imagine doesn't, and I regret that.

What I regret is the massive reduction you get when you live in UK. They have to send the copies one per one as well, so there you go, more expensive as well. Why not make a special offer four outside-UK residents?

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:16 am

If I was buying a Dutch, German, Belgian magazine or anything else like that I would expect to pay more. I find it a bit off to complain that UK customers get a big discount. Especially when you are getting as good as cover price for a delivered foreign magazine.

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:37 am

Why subscribe then? It's more expensive... That's my issue.

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:43 am

And it's not that I don't think it's not fair concerning the UK customers, do not worry. My thinking goes the other way around.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:54 am

Igorthegreen wrote:You get 13 issues for £70.

Bulb or not, all I'm interested in, is in what I pay for my RG. Other UK publishers make you an offer, if you subscribe, even in Belgium - Imagine doesn't, and I regret that.

What I regret is the massive reduction you get when you live in UK. They have to send the copies one per one as well, so there you go, more expensive as well. Why not make a special offer four outside-UK residents?
You pay £1.80 more an issue than UK subscribers. (UK - £3.50 an issue, you £5.30ish)

Sending an RG to Belguim costs about..... £1.80.

You can't compare the Direct Debit only offer, there's many reasons why that saves Imagine money and is hence cheaper, I'm comparing 13 issue pay once subscription rates.

You can't have the direct debit offer because your bank is unlikely to be a member of the UK direct debit scheme.

So you have the same "offer" we do.
Why subscribe then? It's more expensive... That's my issue.
How much is it in a shop?

And the reason to subscribe would be getting it at least a week earlier (probably more, it can be in months if you're US) and not having to risk your local shop being out, and not having to travel to said shop and not having to remember to buy it etc etc etc.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:52 am

It's hardly like Imagine is alone in this. Every publisher in practically every country (including the UK—look at subscriptions for magazines from Future, IDG, Dennis, etc.) offers better rates for the 'home' country than those abroad. Hell, look at Wired—you can practically get that for a dollar an issue most of the time, via various special offers, but in the UK, it's at least eight times that.

This is even more the case for an extremely niche publication like Retro Gamer. I'm sure if the magazine was selling 100,000 per month, you'd likely suddenly see much better offers for worldwide subs, because Imagine could take greater risks at that point. However, they have to ensure the magazine remains profitable, because, if my experience in this industry is anything to go by, three months in the red and that's the magazine gone.

In the UK, Imagine can get away with special offers, because it costs far, far less to send the magazines out. Outside of the UK, it simply costs a shed-load of cash to send magazines as heavy as Retro Gamer.

As an aside, it's also worth noting that in many countries, the mark-up on magazines is pretty extreme. Last time I was in the US, magazines like Retro Gamer (as in, around the five-quid mark) were priced at just under $20, therefore adding 80% to the costs. When I was living in Iceland, things were even more extreme, with magazines costing anything up to £18 each. Clearly, subscribing at least gets you a price close to the British news-stand price, rather than getting ripped off my middlemen.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:44 pm

You can't have the direct debit offer because your bank is unlikely to be a member of the UK direct debit scheme.
I've a Barclay's account, but I don't think they would send it to Belgium, paying via the DD with an UK account.

Anyway, I just regret it, and wanted to let it know.

Now, let's go gaming :arrow:

Kai

Post by Kai » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:45 am

The price of the subs is very good, imo.
If I buy a copy over here (that is: if I could find one), it'll cost me 9.54 GBP (=12.50 EUR), whereas the subscription reduces that to 5.38 GBP per issue.
The biggest plus (for me) is that they are wrapped in a very good plastic bag, so that the copies arrive in very good shape - this was completely different while the mag was released by the old publisher.
The delivery time is ok, too (though it sometimes takes up to 1 week).

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:21 am

Yeah, that shop price is about what I expected. The OP still hasn't answered my question about the shop price there, because I'd be astonished if it's less than UK shop price which it would have to be to represent a measureable saving on the sub rate.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:37 am

Dudley wrote:UK - £3.50 an issue
Eh? £15 is taken from my account every 3 months?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:27 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
Dudley wrote:UK - £3.50 an issue
Eh? £15 is taken from my account every 3 months?
That's the direct debit one. (and it's £18 now for new people and it's not every 3 months, it's every 6 issues (~5.5months))

The standard yearly subscription works out to £3.50 an ish.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:26 am

Considering you get the magazine shortly after the UK I don't think it's a bad price at all. It's just a bit much for me to afford all in one go :)