Official Feedback FOR ISSUE 48

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Official Feedback FOR ISSUE 48

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:42 am

The Making of
Manic Miner
Retro Gamer talks exclusively to Matthew Smith about one of the most influential 8-bit platformers of all time.

The Definitive
194X Series
Tally ho! Stuart Campbell puts on hisd scarf and goggles and takes to the air with Capcom's World War II shooter.

Developer Lookback
Electronic Arts
The final part of our in-depth feature looks at EA's return to original IP and its plans for the future.

The Making of
MDK
We talk to David Perry and find out what MDK actually stands for. And no, it's not Mrs Donkey Kong...

In the chair with
Matthew Smith
He may have only created a handful of games on the ZX Spectrum, but Matthew Smith is still hailed as a genius by many retro gamers. This is why...

Top 25 Spectrum Games
with so many fantastic titles available, it's virtually impossible to name the ZX Spectrum's best 25 games of all time. Not that that's ever stopped us though..

Retroinspection
Spectrum 128
It may have only enjoyed a very short shelf life, but it was still worth owning this 128k beast.

Complete History
Command & Conquer
It might not have been the first RTS, but Westwood Studios' Command & Conquer still moulded the genre.

The Making of
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Find out how Kuju turned a popular Xbox Live Arcade release into one of the Wii and DS's best shoot-em-ups.

And much more including; Magic Sword, Coin Op Hits 2, Mr Ee!, Bad Street Brawler, Pogostick Olympics, Eternal Champions and much, much more.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:47 am

Let me say best cover ever! I do think putting Marvel Vs Streetfighter on the front cover is a little miss leading though, I was kind of expecting a full feature.
Splink!

TheCowardlyLion

Post by TheCowardlyLion » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:58 am

As others have pointed out, the 'From The Forum' section makes great reading - apparently Elite came with LOADS of hidden bonus games including Jet Set Willy, Sabre Wulf and more :wink:

The highlight for me was 'The Making Of...Manic Miner'. Edge covered this in their 'Making Of...' series a few years ago, but as usual, RG has surpassed their attempt by a long margin. Without cheats, the furthest I ever got when I originally had the game in the 80's was 'Attack Of The Mutant Telephones'. Sad, I know...

To follow this article up with the 'In The Chair With.... Mathew Smith' was a nice bonus - and to get his MUM involved too! She obviously adores her son and I was amused by her enthusiasm for his games, even Valhalla...
Her closing quote "...I suppose for them it's history. For us it's just a few days ago', was actually quite touching!

Oh, and I have never tried mixing Guiness with wine... any good ?
"'Safe?' said Mr. Beaver...'Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. but he's good. He's the King, I tell you.'"

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:35 am

OH MY! MDK happens to be one of my all time favorite games! And so does Command & Conquer!

So looking forward to this...

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:37 am

Very cool looking cover! :D

I'll be looking forward in reading this issue very soon. I will be most looking forward in reading this month's 'Collectors Corner' and 'Retro Shamer' feature. :D

Also, isn't it about time that Retro Gamer Magazine do another Top 100 games of all time since the last one they did was about 3 or 4 years ago. It would be interesting to see what games will be in the Top 100 this time round. Hope this happens soon please. :D

By the way, does any of the Retro Gamer staff like that new song / music video 'Ready For A Fall' by Hot Chip?

I do. :D

Thanks. :D
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:43 am

yethboth wrote:Very cool looking cover! :D
Also, isn't it about time that Retro Gamer Magazine do another Top 100 games of all time since the last one they did was about 3 or 4 years ago. It would be interesting to see what games will be in the Top 100 this time round. Hope this happens soon please. :D
No Thanks - The Top 25 lists are enough for me, I don't want to see a Top 100 as it would just fill the mag
By the way, does any of the Retro Gamer staff like that new song / music video 'Ready For A Fall' by Hot Chip?

Surely 'Ready For The Floor' ? :?

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:49 am

yethboth wrote:By the way, does any of the Retro Gamer staff like that new song / music video 'Ready For A Fall' by Hot Chip?
LeeT wrote:Surely 'Ready For The Floor' ? :?
Surely ready for the bargain bin
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:52 am

Only filcked through but seems to be the best issue for quite some time.

Shame about the couple of errors but that's life.
Also glad to see the back of the EA feature - Feels like its been running for about 12 months!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:59 am

LeeT wrote:
yethboth wrote:Very cool looking cover! :D
No Thanks - The Top 25 lists are enough for me, I don't want to see a Top 100 as it would just fill the mag

Surely 'Ready For The Floor' ? :?

Sorry, a slight spelling error! :oops: :roll:

Anyway, speaking of the Top 25 Spectrum Games, I hope 'Pippo' was in the Top 25 Spectrum Games. :D

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:38 am

Fantastic issue. The speccy articles are a must read for me being a massive speccy fan. Kinda agreed with most of the titles in the top 25 and definitely agree that Cybernoid was the most difficult. Still having nightmares about that game.
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:39 am

Is 'Pippo' and 'Bruce Lee' in the Top 25 Spectrum Games?

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:48 am

yethboth wrote:Is 'Pippo' and 'Bruce Lee' in the Top 25 Spectrum Games?
Can't remember exacly but I think Pippo was in the top 3....

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:49 am

Bub&Bob wrote:
yethboth wrote:Is 'Pippo' and 'Bruce Lee' in the Top 25 Spectrum Games?
Can't remember exacly but I think Pippo was in the top 3....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for Pippo!

What about Bruce Lee? Scumball? and Target Renegade?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:06 am

Pippo wasnt in the list. Bit of an unknown game to many people, an excellent one but you dont normally see it make most top 25 Speccy game lists.

A few big name games missing (No Commando or Bombjack) which is a shame !

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:07 am

psj3809 wrote:Pippo wasnt in the list. Bit of an unknown game to many people, an excellent one but you dont normally see it make most top 25 Speccy game lists.

A few big name games missing (No Commando or Bombjack) which is a shame !

WHAT?!?!?!? NO PIPPO?!?!?!?!?! :shock: HAS THE WORLD RUN MAD?!?!?!?!!?!? :shock:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh well, never mind. :wink: