Ideas for games for Retro Shamer

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:53 am

I'd like to nominate two games, starting with "Hard Drivin'" on the C64, which was so bad that the game never got a full price release and only went on compilation and budget.

At least the Spectrum version moved at reasonable speed, the C64 version is really dire and so bad that its unreleased Race Drivin' was to be developed using the action replay camera angle. The colours are very garish too, with yellow on blue to ensure that if the speed doesn't make you nauseous, then the screen display will.

The car also slides around like you are driving on an ice rink, meaning its almost impossible to actually drive on the road. I even think that there was a cheat where you could reverse at the very start and then drive through to complete a lap :roll:

--

Also "Chase HQ" on the C64. Another port (By the same people who ported Hard Drivin' I think?) of a great Spectrum conversion. The screen size was shrunk, the hi-res car changed to a horrible low res blob, really awful music (Which almost sounds like a censored take because its so poor) and half of the scenery is missing from the Spectrum version.

It's also bloody slow, the turbo boost speed up is the equivalent of the Spectrum version running normally without boost (Well, almost). The presentation is a complete load of crap too, missing the nice bouncy music, speech and bits from the Spectrum game.

At least Turbocharge made up for it... :)
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:33 am

1500graham wrote:
SirClive wrote:I try not to!
If i had a white glove i would slap you with it and challenge you to a duel.

:)
As a huge fan of Bombjack i still dont understand what drugs you must be on to think Bombjack 64 was the best one of the 8 bits !

I love the game and like playing different versions (Love Mighty Bombjack on the NES) but still to this day i laugh when i see your avatar.

Do you still honestly believe that or do you believe the majority are the ones who are wrong and the minority (eg yourself) is right about Bombjack ?!?

Now as a Speccy man i love the machine but i am man enough to admit when a versions better on a rival machine !

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:05 pm

psj3809 wrote:
1500graham wrote:
SirClive wrote:I try not to!
If i had a white glove i would slap you with it and challenge you to a duel.

As a huge fan of Bombjack i still dont understand what drugs you must be on to think Bombjack 64 was the best one of the 8 bits !

I love the game and like playing different versions (Love Mighty Bombjack on the NES) but still to this day i laugh when i see your avatar.

Do you still honestly believe that or do you believe the majority are the ones who are wrong and the minority (eg yourself) is right about Bombjack ?!?

Now as a Speccy man i love the machine but i am man enough to admit when a versions better on a rival machine !
Cutlasses or pistols, you decide.

"Conan, what is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women."

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:27 pm

fgasking wrote:Also "Chase HQ" on the C64. Another port (By the same people who ported Hard Drivin' I think?) of a great Spectrum conversion. The screen size was shrunk, the hi-res car changed to a horrible low res blob, really awful music (Which almost sounds like a censored take because its so poor) and half of the scenery is missing from the Spectrum version.

It's also bloody slow, the turbo boost speed up is the equivalent of the Spectrum version running normally without boost (Well, almost). The presentation is a complete load of crap too, missing the nice bouncy music, speech and bits from the Spectrum game.

At least Turbocharge made up for it... :)
Chase HQ on the C64 is absolutely baffling. Given all the great racing games on the Commodore and the greatness of the Speccy port, what the hell went on there? I hope Ocean sacked these idiots.

Somebody should solve that mystery because it gives me headaches to this day!

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:07 am

:twisted: i nominate the legend of zelda on the NES :twisted: (starts running!)

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:39 pm

STranger81 wrote::twisted: i nominate the legend of zelda on the NES :twisted: (starts running!)
You best start running! How anyone could say that Zelda is a shamer, I don't know.

thl

Post by thl » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:52 pm

woody.cool wrote:
STranger81 wrote::twisted: i nominate the legend of zelda on the NES :twisted: (starts running!)
You best start running! How anyone could say that Zelda is a shamer, I don't know.
The Zelda series on the Philips CDi was actually worser.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:09 pm

thl wrote:
woody.cool wrote:
The Zelda series on the Philips CDi was actually worser.
Never played any Zelda games on CDi - but I've heard bad reports about Zelda and CDi in the same sentence!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:43 pm

Yet another vote from me for SNES Captain America.....
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:12 pm

Could I suggest Mr Miner for the Vic20? It was a terrible terrible manic miner rip off which was written in Basic and which no one would publish - oh and I wrote it - but I was only 7.

livefastdiefun87

Post by livefastdiefun87 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:35 pm

I nominate Hotel Mario. Now there is a naff game if I ever saw one

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:07 pm

Some more ideas:

Socket: Time Dominator (Megadrive)
International Rugby Challenge (Amiga)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Nes)
Extreme Paintbrawl (PC)
Ballz (Megadrive)
Battlecruiser 3000AD (PC)
Daikatana (Nintendo 64)
Pac-Man (Atari 2600)
Jack The Giantkiller (Arcade)
I, Robot (Arcade)
The Adventures Of Gilligan's Island (Nes)

My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:48 am

I Robot is a weird little game, but in no way a shamer, surely?
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:13 am

I' Robot a retro shamer? Hang your head in shame Yethboth

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:55 am

Kung Fu Master on the Speccy. I mean WTF?!?!?!

I loved this game in its original arcade version. I spent most of my pocket money playing it down the local VG shop (in between buying sherbert UFOs) and was ecstatic when I saw that it was being converted to the 8-bits.

I should have smelled a rat when the cover/poster art appeared in the holy pages of Crash - he's got a mullet, and what on earth is he doing?! That's not the deadly flying "waddaaa" kick I'm used to, it looks like he's spent the night on real ale and mushy peas and is in mid-lift-off as a result!

At least the C64 conversion had the clever and funny little gun cheat. Taking out the bad guys with a well concealed revolver was great!

OH THE SHAME!!! :(