Ideas for games for Retro Shamer

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 22, 2008 4:28 am

Huge Crash smash that was ! I felt so letdown by Durrell for that game (couldnt stand it) and also the Crash review. All these years later i've tried it again and still think its dire

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu May 22, 2008 5:31 am

psj3809 wrote:Good shout, Zoids on the Speccy was a crash smash. I fell for the review and remember getting that game, couldnt stand it
The funny thing is, pretty much everyone rated Zoids highly back in the day. I didn't see the appeal either—I found it overly difficult and obscure, although Rob Hubbard's C64 soundtrack (which was actually a cover version) was really good.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

merman

Post by merman » Thu May 22, 2008 5:46 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Good shout, Zoids on the Speccy was a crash smash. I fell for the review and remember getting that game, couldnt stand it
The funny thing is, pretty much everyone rated Zoids highly back in the day. I didn't see the appeal either—I found it overly difficult and obscure, although Rob Hubbard's C64 soundtrack (which was actually a cover version) was really good.
It is tricky, even with the instructions... but that soundtrack is amazing. No way it should be a Retro Shamer though - that honour should be reserved for truly hideous games like Robobolt or Alice's Adventures in Videoland.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:02 pm

merman wrote: It is tricky, even with the instructions... but that soundtrack is amazing. No way it should be a Retro Shamer though - that honour should be reserved for truly hideous games like Robobolt or Alice's Adventures in Videoland.
It should be a Retroshamer because .... it's really rather boring and has NOTHING to do with Zoids. Talk about taking a potentially excellent licence and just doing nothing with it. But yay for the soundtrack, which indeed was excellent. Not sure what Hubbard track isn't excellent though :)
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu May 22, 2008 2:10 pm

I've never got to grips with the game myself but I dread to think what it could have been like in certain hands... crappy scrolling or vs beat-'em-up? Platforming Zoids? No thanks. At least Martech attempted to do something different, even if it did wind up a rather courageous failure. And the C64 Hubbard soundtrack was tremendous.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu May 22, 2008 8:39 pm

psj3809 wrote:Good shout, Zoids on the Speccy was a crash smash. I fell for the review and remember getting that game, couldnt stand it, thought it was dire (Another was Fat Worm blows a sparky - thought that was terrible)
Judging by that comment and also what I've seen on the WoS forums, I must be the only person who DOES like Fat Worm Blows A Sparky then. Good, original game I've always thought. But then again, I did like Speccy games like Ah Diddums and Pedro too so maybe I'm just weird :roll:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 23, 2008 1:40 am

I wouldn't say its a favourite, but Fat Worm is a solid enough game. Quite a few hours have been wasted on it here. Its no Crash Smash but I'd give it 60-70% overall. As a budget game it would have been a cracker.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

merman

Post by merman » Fri May 23, 2008 7:33 am

kelp7 wrote:
merman wrote: It is tricky, even with the instructions... but that soundtrack is amazing. No way it should be a Retro Shamer though - that honour should be reserved for truly hideous games like Robobolt or Alice's Adventures in Videoland.
It should be a Retroshamer because .... it's really rather boring and has NOTHING to do with Zoids. Talk about taking a potentially excellent licence and just doing nothing with it. But yay for the soundtrack, which indeed was excellent. Not sure what Hubbard track isn't excellent though :)

Err, your reasoning is still way off target, like so many of the missiles I fired while playing Zoids ;)
You are collecting pieces of Zoidzilla. You fight against other Zoids. As mikeb said, it was always going to be a tricky license to portray - look at the two rather poor Transformers games on 8-bit machines for a comparison.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

caffeinekid

Post by caffeinekid » Fri May 23, 2008 6:46 pm

Does the Retro Shamer have to be a game or can it be a person?

If it can then I would like to nominate Bruce Everiss.

For the last few months half the internet have had their faces permanently in their palms in horror and embarrassment over it all.
10 PRINT "TCK IS COOL!";
20 GOTO 10

http://www.tcksoft.co.uk

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri May 23, 2008 6:57 pm

my vote goes for-

(1) pasteman pat on c64
(2) c64 version of Hard drivin
(3) Samurai shodown III on psone,the loading times were atrocious on it

bigfreakypossum

Post by bigfreakypossum » Tue May 27, 2008 2:28 am

caffeinekid wrote:Does the Retro Shamer have to be a game or can it be a person?
Billy Mitchell?
One toot on this whistle will send you to a far away land!

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Tue May 27, 2008 11:45 am

I look forward to seeing The King of Kong. :D
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue May 27, 2008 11:54 am

bigfreakypossum wrote:
caffeinekid wrote:Does the Retro Shamer have to be a game or can it be a person?
Billy Mitchell?
Or perhaps the entire show? Eastenders sucks......
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Tue May 27, 2008 11:57 am

He's talking about this guy..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6SKZxvDQryA

(I think)
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 27, 2008 11:57 am

If it can then I would like to nominate Bruce Everiss.

For the last few months half the internet have had their faces permanently in their palms in horror and embarrassment over it all.
Agree with that. Been embarassing reading his article and then even worse reading his responses. Its like your dad arguing with kids, its just wrong !