Ideas for games for Retro Shamer

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Patso

Post by Patso » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:49 am

ToxieDogg wrote:For now, I'd nominate:

1. The Spectrum version of Kung Fu Master. It's difficult to understand how this was messed up, the original game is so simplistic. But the Speccy version has jerky 'push scrolling', laughable graphics, horrible music which sounded nothing like the arcade's, and dodgy 'hit and miss' stylr collision detection. Hard to believe that it was actually released by US Gold, even harder to believe that Ocean Software coded it for them.
I'll second that one... I spent shedloads of money in the arcades playing kung-fu master and rushed out and bought the speccy version on day of release... You would be hard pushed to tell it was a "conversion" if you saw a screen shot. I was gutted :(

After so many good arcade conversions this was a dire effort. But do I want to live through that again in retro gamer... :wink:

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:22 pm

ToxieDogg wrote: 4. WCW Thunder on the Playstation. Granted, wrestling games aren't everybody's cup of tea but they should at least look the part and be playable for fans....WCW vs NWO World Tour on the N64 had shown that wrestling games could be good, WCW Thunder came out later and looked like it had been programmed on a C64, and even on the C64 it would have been poor. After getting past the impressive presentation and good character select screens (featuring pre recorded rants from the wrestlers), then full FMV wrestler entrances, players were treated to a tiny ring inhabited by poorly animated stick men who could only do about 3 moves each, controls were unresponsive at best, sound effects were diabolical and everything moved so fast that bouts were often over in 30 seconds or less, you would often lose while trying to figure out how to pull a basic move off. And AI was appalingly cheap too, 2 computer oppenents would ALWAYS gang up on a human player even if it was meant to be every man for himself.
This, this and thrice this.

I'd LOVE to nomiate Street Fighter 2 for the Commodore 64, but probably the worst game I've ever played is Rise of the Robots. Not completely unique, but it's got almost everything's that bad with video games:

- Stupid Story Mode
- Gameplay sacrificed for graphics
- Hyped to the max

And most importantly, paid a small fortune for it! £49.99 was a lot of money for a 15 year old! :S

In fact, the only thing I'd say that didn't make it a horrendous game was a horrible licence tie-in, though it did have Brian May's name attributed to the music (which he didn't actually record)

thenodfather

Post by thenodfather » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:46 pm

Wec Le Man on the Commodore 64. That game bugged the sh*t out of me. Terrible game play and annoying sounds. I thought the idea was for a racing game, pitty the idea was as good as it got :(
Humans Should Not Be Inflicted On Animals!!!

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:21 pm

retrogarden wrote:I'd LOVE to nomiate Street Fighter 2 for the Commodore 64, but probably the worst game I've ever played is Rise of the Robots.
ROTR was the first Retro Shamer IIRC...
真・豪鬼

crazyteknohed

Post by crazyteknohed » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:38 am

Not so well known, but how about these two beauties:

Legend of Success Joe (NeoGeo)

Demolition Man (Mega-CD)

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:00 am

PitFighter is a no brainer.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:11 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:PitFighter is a no brainer.
The game or including it in the feature?
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

Demonblaze

Post by Demonblaze » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:55 am

On the Amiga I'd say; Alien Breed 3D 2, Speris Legacy
PS1; C-12 Resistance, Zero Divide
Nes; Wayne's World, Battle Toads, Home Alone
Sega Master System; The Flash (based onthe awful movie of the comic)
Mega Drive; Alien Storm, Mercs
Snes; The Mask
and on the humble gameboy... Swampthing!!!

thl

Post by thl » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:56 pm

Journey from Darkness: Strider Returns have to be there. Published by US Gold and having to be developed by the unknown Tiertex, it would be considered a very bad move made by Capcom to lent out their rights to other companies.

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:01 pm

I'd have to say...

Legend Of Success Joe on the Neo Geo
Street Fighter 2 on the Amiga
Final Fight on the ST (possibly the Amiga too, the only saving grace I found on that one was the intro music and the rather humorous story in the Startup Sequence.

Being a big fan of Final Fight I was REALLY disappointed.

Never played Rise Of The Robots, but I've heard how bad it is.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:26 am

Let's face it: Retro Shamer is fun... But for retrogamers, the comeback of the 'Why you should play...'-item instead would be a much more interesting two-page filler!

Cast a vote: http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8578
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:12 am

Demonblaze wrote:Mega Drive; Alien Storm, Mercs
Couple of baffling choices...

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:20 am

I thought Battle Toads on the NES was a more baffling choice than those.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:25 am

EnglishRob wrote:Final Fight on the ST
I was looking through my ST games (with a friend of mine) and we chucked Final Fight in my ST - after about 2 minutes the memories of how slow it was came flooding back. Whilst it looks OK for an ST game, it moves like a snail.
In fact, most of the home conversions of Final Fight were a bit crap, but I think this is because it was US Gold that did most of the conversions.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:33 am

woody.cool wrote:
EnglishRob wrote:Final Fight on the ST
I was looking through my ST games (with a friend of mine) and we chucked Final Fight in my ST - after about 2 minutes the memories of how slow it was came flooding back. Whilst it looks OK for an ST game, it moves like a snail.
In fact, most of the home conversions of Final Fight were a bit crap, but I think this is because it was US Gold that did most of the conversions.
The only real memory I have of Final Fight on the ST is of 1CC'ing it on the first go. I think this is possibly the easiest game I've ever played.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.