Demo-Scene from yesteryear!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Should they do a cover story on this Computer phenomenon

Yes..it would be a great Idea!
68%
Nahh...There where good in there day..leave it alone.
21%
Maybe..could be good..
11%

Total votes: 53

Greyfox

Demo-Scene from yesteryear!

Post by Greyfox » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:24 am

Hi, Everyone, I was browsing the Forum...or maybe not enough..and I notice than no-one requested a Article covering the Demo-Scene on the C64, ST, Amiga..this was a very Important Homage to the Computers of the time..to show what could be really done with them...

I'm sure there are some very interesting Stories attached to these Demo groups...TEX, Red Sector, Silents, LSD etc...and I think it should be covered somewhere in the Magazine...I know it's all about games..but when you weren't playing Games, allot of us where watching demos and marveled at how brilliant the really where to watch..the Music , The Coding, the Gfx..etc

well that's my rant about them...I'm sure there are a few members here that worked with these groups in the past...and know how important the Demo scene is/was.

Greyfoxâ„¢
↓↓Click Link to See More
[url=http://www.greyfoxbooks.com[/url]

yethboth

Re: Demo-Scene from yesteryear!

Post by yethboth » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:35 am

Greyfox wrote:Hi, Everyone, I was browsing the Forum...or maybe not enough..and I notice than no-one requested a Article covering the Demo-Scene on the C64, ST, Amiga..this was a very Important Homage to the Computers of the time..to show what could be really done with them...

I'm sure there are some very interesting Stories attached to these Demo groups...TEX, Red Sector, Silents, LSD etc...and I think it should be covered somewhere in the Magazine...I know it's all about games..but when you weren't playing Games, allot of us where watching demos and marveled at how brilliant the really where to watch..the Music , The Coding, the Gfx..etc

well that's my rant about them...I'm sure there are a few members here that worked with these groups in the past...and know how important the Demo scene is/was.

Greyfoxâ„¢

I think this is a very good idea. Could we have this in a future issue please? Thanks.
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am

I managed to track down Stoat & Tim (creators of Thrust Concert and the amazing Circlesque) a while back, and both of them were up for being interviewed, but the pitch didn't stick, sadly. (As in, no interest from the powers that be.)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:53 am

I went for Maybe..could be good...

Greyfox wrote:... on the C64, ST, Amiga..
But why only on the C64, St and Amiga.
There werea huge demo scene for other contemporary 8Bit systems e.g the ATARI range...

And why not include things later than the 16bit Home Micros, there are a wealth of demos for the Dreamcast for example!

It may be quite difficult to track people down for interviews though!?
So I think that may be out!
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:12 am

GarryG wrote:It may be quite difficult to track people down for interviews though!?
So I think that may be out!
Depends, if you want to get in touch with the C64 scene it's pretty easy f'example. i can see why the pitch wasn't taken up though, it's a bloody vast subject to start with and heads rapidly off down the "illegal wares" road since most of the crews had cracking sections too.

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:00 am

What TMR said.
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:07 am

Meh, no interest in demos. Technically they can be very impressive, but I can't be bothered sitting there watching something for however long it goes for when I could be watching a DVD or something.

I always figured their talents should be used towards making games, but apparently a lot of people disagree with me.

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:24 am

Dizrythmia wrote:Meh, no interest in demos. Technically they can be very impressive, but I can't be bothered sitting there watching something for however long it goes for when I could be watching a DVD or something.
Watching demos is more about understanding what they're doing and, particularly in the case of demos for the 8- and 16-bit systems, knowing just which hardware limitations they're bouncing against or apparently passing; to be honest, it takes a bit of programming knowledge to truly appreciate them, otherwise they're just flashing lights and sounds with scrolling messages.
Dizrythmia wrote:I always figured their talents should be used towards making games, but apparently a lot of people disagree with me.
Demo coding is as close to an artform and indeed to expression that programmers have these days, at least it is if you want people to see your work. And people are free to use their talents as they see fit...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:39 am

Dizrythmia wrote:Meh, no interest in demos. Technically they can be very impressive, but I can't be bothered sitting there watching something for however long it goes for when I could be watching a DVD or something.

I always figured their talents should be used towards making games, but apparently a lot of people disagree with me.
I'm torn in the middle, totally get your point and also TMR's below. They were very impressive but i must admit back in my Amiga days i simply clicked the mouse to move past it so i could get onto loading my illegal copy of the game i was trying to play !

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:45 am

psj3809 wrote:I'm torn in the middle, totally get your point and also TMR's below. They were very impressive but i must admit back in my Amiga days i simply clicked the mouse to move past it so i could get onto loading my illegal copy of the game i was trying to play !
Umm... that isn't strictly a demo, it's an intro (someone is going to use the word "cracktro" and i'll be the one threatening them with unspeakable torments when they do!). There's a difference, intros can't do everything that demos can because they have to work within constraints.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:58 am

TMR wrote:
Watching demos is more about understanding what they're doing and, particularly in the case of demos for the 8- and 16-bit systems, knowing just which hardware limitations they're bouncing against or apparently passing; to be honest, it takes a bit of programming knowledge to truly appreciate them, otherwise they're just flashing lights and sounds with scrolling messages.
Not sure I agree with you saying it takes a bit of programming knowledge to truly appreciate demos, used to have a truck load for the Amiga and I don't think you need to know about hardware limitations to see how impressive a lot of them were.
Splink!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:15 pm

I have pretty much no interest in the demo scene. Scrolling messages and music and the likes didn't do it for me.

Now a feature about shareware games on the 16 bits or the illegal 'menu discs' would be interesting.

Infact, I would be REALLY interested in someone tracking down the Pompey Pirates or Medway Boys and getting the lowdown.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:40 pm

SirClive wrote:I have pretty much no interest in the demo scene. Scrolling messages and music and the likes didn't do it for me.
The thing is, some demos were more than that. Of the demos I mentioned earlier:

Thrust Concert: wee pixelated men playing the Rob Hubbard Thrust tune;
Circlesque: beautiful light show, with patterns composed of circles whizzing round the screen, like a lightshow.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:49 pm

Yes I appreciate that and some are outstanding acheivements, but they are still just music and animation. I want interactivity.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:22 pm

I personally loved the demos I had on my Atari ST, especially those by The Carebears and The Lost Boys, but I'm not sure a feature on Demos in my favourite mag is a good idea. As someone has already said, the subject area is VAST and one feature would in no way do it justice.

Also, as the magazine is called Retrogamer, it's not entirely relevent. Perhaps if the feature concentrated on how demos and their achievements influenced games. But, then again, this may be too technical and put off a lot of readers.