C64 is best rendition of Marble Madness...???

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheCowardlyLion

Post by TheCowardlyLion » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:03 pm

They sure did.

Way Of The Exploding Fist
Redhawk
Say Kwah
Starion
Mordon's Quest
Terrormolinos
War In Middle Earth

I think RG did a feature on them a while back.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:16 am

don't forget Mugsy!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dynamite Dan

Post by Dynamite Dan » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:22 am

And 'Sir Lancelot' !

hbhzth

Post by hbhzth » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:34 am

I also liked Rock 'n Wrestle, Asterix, Bazooka Bill, Fighting Warrior. They always had such special & good music in their games (I am talking C64 versions here, as that is what I know).

Rock 'n Wrestle is one of the two best wrestle games of the 80's I think. That and Tag Team Wrestling (which have poorer graphics and music, but it have that nice feeling - esp. in 2 player mode). Anyone agree?

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:48 am

hbhzth wrote:I also liked Rock 'n Wrestle, Asterix, Bazooka Bill, Fighting Warrior. They always had such special & good music in their games (I am talking C64 versions here, as that is what I know).

Rock 'n Wrestle is one of the two best wrestle games of the 80's I think. That and Tag Team Wrestling (which have poorer graphics and music, but it have that nice feeling - esp. in 2 player mode). Anyone agree?
I will always remeber Rignalls caption for Bazooka Bill, panned thegraphics then captioned the screen shot "Duplo Bill goes walkabout in Lego land", that really made me laugh back in the day, and for some reason I still remember it. Never played the game however
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

Dynamite Dan

Post by Dynamite Dan » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:21 am

Don't think the Amstrad version of Rock n' Wrestle was reviewed favourably. Not sure about the other versions.

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:00 am

hbhzth wrote:I also liked Rock 'n Wrestle, Asterix, Bazooka Bill, Fighting Warrior. They always had such special & good music in their games (I am talking C64 versions here, as that is what I know).
At the other end of the scale was Knuckle Busters, which just about everyone wanted for the music and not the game!

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:48 am

Rock and Wrestle was a mess, I bought it without seeing reviews thinking, well they made Exploding Fist, so it must be good...... :lol:

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:55 am

I think Melbourne House (like many other software companies of the time) produced a mixed quality of games - Way of The Exploding Fist and The Hobbit were certainly two of their best titles.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:59 am

LeeT wrote:I think Melbourne House (like many other software companies of the time) produced a mixed quality of games - Way of The Exploding Fist and The Hobbit were certainly two of their best titles.
Yeah , but both games were way ahead of their time,
particularly in the case of The Hobbit
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Kai

Post by Kai » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:13 am

Was there any version which made use of a trackball? I loved my AMIGA version but always missed trackball controls...

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:11 am

I used to turn the mouse upside down on the superior ST version ;)
Just where is Mickey T?

Kai

Post by Kai » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:44 am

The Universal wrote:I used to turn the mouse upside down on the superior ST version ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:59 am

hbhzth wrote: I think it was very good on other machines too, like Amstrad and Spectrum - anyone?
Spindizzy originated on the CPC and the C64 version was just a port. If you want the best version you need the CPC version.

hbhzth

Post by hbhzth » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:42 pm

chinnyhill10 wrote:
hbhzth wrote: I think it was very good on other machines too, like Amstrad and Spectrum - anyone?
Spindizzy originated on the CPC and the C64 version was just a port. If you want the best version you need the CPC version.
That might explain the lack of sound; title-music, in-game tunes, etc. I think it had some sound fx for the main object, yes?

Graphics were nice, for it's time, with hires sprites, nice colorful screens with experimental combinations. Did the CPC version have hires sprites too? I rarely see anything other than multicolor graphics in CPC games, often making them 'blocky' because of this. Anyone agree with that?

The strength of the C64 is the dual hires AND multicolor/bitmap graphics modes - making it ideal to simulate or convert BOTH speccy and CPC games. As they were, with no need to change the pixels, perfect copy. Rarely these conversions used to; Combine graphics with sprites (HIRES/Multicolor too) which gives NEW possibilities. And hardware scrolling of screen in X and Y directions. And, yeah, the SID sound :) These are all things the C64 could do.

My point being that games not made especially for the C64, rarely include the best approach solving the game design, rather than copy the one made for the other machine. They could have re-designed the game and made it better.