C64 is best rendition of Marble Madness...???

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

blakespot

C64 is best rendition of Marble Madness...???

Post by blakespot » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:35 pm

The latest issue of RG comments, in the EA article, that the C64 version of Marble Madness is the best. ...hello!? How about the Amiga version? Or the Sega MasterSystem version that is also far better than the C64 version of the game.

What was that about?!

blakespot
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:31 am

I remember Zzap!'s review of that 'beauty', and just looked up the score: 40%. Classicsville.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:27 am

It refered to the original conversions, Apple 2, Spectrum and CPC.
The Amiga, ST and Master System versions came later by a different team, with the MD and Snes versions being done by Tengen, and so it goes it on. Out of the above 8 bits it was the best, the point being that Marble Madness should never have been converted to the 8 bits.
Just where is Mickey T?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:45 am

The Universal wrote:Marble Madness should never have been converted to the 8 bits.
I don't see why not. The conversion to C64 was just plain bad—there's no reason why the arcade game couldn't be converted in a more successful manner.

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:59 am

The Universal wrote:It refered to the original conversions, Apple 2, Spectrum and CPC.
The Amiga, ST and Master System versions came later by a different team, with the MD and Snes versions being done by Tengen, and so it goes it on. Out of the above 8 bits it was the best, the point being that Marble Madness should never have been converted to the 8 bits.
I recalled EA's conversion for the Amiga being the first available. Was that not the case? The Amiga port was definitely EA's first version of Marble Madness, and EA did the Apple II port - it came after the Amiga.

But yea, my memory beyond EA's ports is limited.

Interesting how much better the SMS port is compared to the NES/Famicom port.

blakespot
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:33 am

Join the debate guys http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=32219,

the debate rages on and on, the Amiga and ST games came later, and were developed by a different team within EA, but the UK saw 8 bit games earlier, the CBM 64 box contained Amiga screens, but the game wasnt out, (an old advertising tactic, usually exploited by Elite to be fair) the game debuted on 16 bit in 86, in the Uk that was the same year that the Amiga arrived albeit in very limited numbers.
Just where is Mickey T?

hbhzth

Post by hbhzth » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:42 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
The Universal wrote:Marble Madness should never have been converted to the 8 bits.
I don't see why not. The conversion to C64 was just plain bad—there's no reason why the arcade game couldn't be converted in a more successful manner.
It could have been better - sure - but we had other similar games like GYROSCOPE, which was a little better... And the hard taskmaster SPiNDiZZY which have similarities to Marble Madness (the C64 version of this was GREAT - HM :?: Seriously, what is there to improve? Besides including music (intro+ingame) with on/off option - nothing!).

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:57 pm

hbhzth wrote:Seriously, what is there to improve?
The scrolling speed, for a start. Everything, for second. Marble Madness on C64 had all of the 'bits' intact—everything was just implemented really poorly.

hbhzth

Post by hbhzth » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:47 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
hbhzth wrote:Seriously, what is there to improve?
The scrolling speed, for a start. Everything, for second. Marble Madness on C64 had all of the 'bits' intact—everything was just implemented really poorly.
Perhaps I wrote this a bit wrong, I agree that Marble Madness has it's flaws, like you said, the comment at the end was concerning Spindizzy, not MM.

Sorry. As English being my second language, I sometimes chose the wrong phrases :?

I know Spindizzy is not a direct MM remake, but it have similarities and it's a (almost) perfect game, in my book (98% in Zzap! too). It does not scroll the screen like MM, but again the size of it is pretty decent. I do not remember how many screens, but there's a large world to explore, take a bit of time & skill to complete.

I think it was very good on other machines too, like Amstrad and Spectrum - anyone?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:48 am

Yes, Spindizzy is considered a classic by many. And, yeah, I guess they got around the biggest flaw in the home conversion of Marble Madness by making it flip-screen. Thinking about it, other games in the line tended to do the same thing after that point (remember Bobby Bearing, for example?), but I still reckon the C64 was powerful enough to do a better conversion of the arcade original.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:14 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Yes, Spindizzy is considered a classic by many. And, yeah, I guess they got around the biggest flaw in the home conversion of Marble Madness by making it flip-screen. Thinking about it, other games in the line tended to do the same thing after that point (remember Bobby Bearing, for example?), but I still reckon the C64 was powerful enough to do a better conversion of the arcade original.
Bobby Bearing was a cool game, I won a copy from Zzap on tape but it didn't have any sound. The disk version did and both were only a single load. Anyone got any ideas as to why?

OT: Marble Madness C64 sucks.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:31 am

I'd say the Master System one was the best 8Bit conversion.

Although the GameBoy one deserves a mention for being a brave attempt!
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:40 am

The Universal wrote:It refered to the original conversions, Apple 2, Spectrum and CPC.

:roll:
Just where is Mickey T?

TheCowardlyLion

Post by TheCowardlyLion » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:35 am

Has everyone forgotten the obvious Marble Madness rip-off - Gyroscope by Melbourne House ?

Had that on the Amstrad and imho, it was a lot better than the Marble Madness conversions but still nowhere near as good as Spindizzy.

hbhzth

Post by hbhzth » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:15 pm

TheCowardlyLion wrote:Has everyone forgotten the obvious Marble Madness rip-off - Gyroscope by Melbourne House ?
Nope, I mentioned this earlier too (Feb 11, 2008) :roll:

Melbourne House made many great titles - yes?