Things we still want to see in the magazine....

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ortervuli

Post by ortervuli » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:11 pm

1 - AN ARTICLE ON HANDHELD / TABLETOP GAMES - ie COLECO,GRANDSTAND ETC

2 - A DECENT FEATURE EACH MONTH ON INTERESTING EBAY SALES NOT JUST A FEW AUCTIONS PICKED OFF ONE PAGE OF COMPLETED LISTINGS!(VERY LAZY).

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:36 pm

I'd still like to see...

A regular column from the Rev Stuart Campbell (yes I know he does one in TPCG but this could be about his encyclopediac games knowledge!)

A 'Night with Darran and Stu' - the two-man team get the beer and crisps in and spend a night playing themed games. Similar to the 'on the couch' regular in SFX but I think it could work (and you could also get forum opinions on the games too for a boxout!).

I'll stop before I get onto Monkey Tennis :lol:

TheCowardlyLion

Post by TheCowardlyLion » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:56 pm

I'd like to see another Oliver Frey calendar in the Xmas 2008 issue :wink:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:48 am

ortervuli wrote:LISTINGS!(VERY LAZY).
About as lazy as not bothering to take caps lock off. Are you trying to sell me a share of your 28.5 million fortune ? ;)

ortervuli

Post by ortervuli » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:08 am

psj3809 wrote:
ortervuli wrote:LISTINGS!(VERY LAZY).
About as lazy as not bothering to take caps lock off. Are you trying to sell me a share of your 28.5 million fortune ? ;)

NO FAR MORE LAZY .....is that better?

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:37 am

LeeT wrote:I'd still like to see...

A regular column from the Rev Stuart Campbell (yes I know he does one in TPCG but this could be about his encyclopediac games knowledge!)
What's TPCG? :oops:

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:18 am

Total PC Gamer, another Imagine Publication, but one that concentrates on PC stuff only. Stu and I both write for it.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

snigfarp

Post by snigfarp » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:28 am

I'd like to see the balance go back a bit towards 16-bit home computers like the Amiga and ST. I never had one, but they're still pretty nostalgic for me as I played on a friend's Amiga quite a lot.

Perhaps something about those early PC games, you know, the ugly looking CGA ones, would be quite interesting and again nostalgic. I remember playing a lot of games on old XTs with mono displays, using simcga.

I'd also like to see the top 25 type articles continue. I'm not interested in driving games but I like the idea of the one in issue 47. A similar one about strategy games (perhaps a bit more specific than that, e.g. RTS or space conquest games) would keep me happy.
Damian
New Speccy games - http://spectrum.cyningstan.org.uk/
Psion handheld gaming - http://psigamer.cyningstan.org.uk/

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:32 am

There's a little feature coming up in issue 48 which may be of passing interest to RTS fans :)

TheCowardlyLion

Post by TheCowardlyLion » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:52 pm

Hey, how about a monthly feature where ideas for 8-bit games are pitched to a fictional software house, complete with spoof 'work in progress' screenshots.

Er, don't know where to go from there. Anyone think that basic premise is good and how can we expand on it to make it more interesting ?

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:35 am

TheCowardlyLion wrote:Hey, how about a monthly feature where ideas for 8-bit games are pitched to a fictional software house, complete with spoof 'work in progress' screenshots.

Er, don't know where to go from there. Anyone think that basic premise is good and how can we expand on it to make it more interesting ?

Or a definitive answer wether any code or storyboard for Mire-Mare ever TRULY existed, and where the hell is the Sinclair Silver label Trans-Am? I need it to go with the other 3.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:08 am

pantal00ns wrote:Or a definitive answer wether any code or storyboard for Mire-Mare ever TRULY existed,
I thought the story was that it was actually completed!?

How about a feature on some of the longer running on-line stuff like the Fantasy Star on-line , or for a browser based game like Rune-Scape?
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:52 am

pantal00ns wrote:Or a definitive answer wether any code or storyboard for Mire-Mare ever TRULY existed
Not sure if this qualifies as a definitive answer but back in the 90's Rare (the company that rose from Ultimate's ashes) said the following about Mire Mare on their website:

"work did begin to some extent on a game that would have been more akin to the top-down Sabre Wulf than any of the isometric Filmation titles which dominated Ultimate's later years. The basic game design and cover art were both completed, but when the actual coding aspect became entangled in the chaos of the company's hectic career-peak schedule, it became inevitable that Mire Mare would never see the light of day..."

The whole Rare site as it looked circa 1990-odd is archived at the Internet Archive if you want to have a look (link below).

http://web.archive.org/web/199902091553 ... tro/limbo/

Titan

Post by Titan » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:16 am

Has a section for reader's artwork been considered before? (related to retro games, obviously). Dunno how popular it would be, but just throwin' that idea out there :wink:

SMASH BROS FRIEND CODE: 1075-2488-1508

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:52 am

Titan wrote:Has a section for reader's artwork been considered before? (related to retro games, obviously). Dunno how popular it would be, but just throwin' that idea out there :wink:
We did print a couple of pictures, but to be honest noone has sent any more in.

Anyway, the Star Wars feature is done and dusted and the Intellivision article is next issue (54) so that's two things off the list...