Things we still want to see in the magazine....

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:03 am

I still like the idea of a page each month where a writer can just waffle on about whatever they so please. Like Mr Cursor from mid-90's PCZone. A bit of light relief at the end of the mag. I always find those to be an amusing read.

P.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:56 am

I'd like to see an article entitled '1994 - the year gaming temporarily went to bollocks'. :D

The hysterical promotion of hardware over software (Jaguar, CD32, 3DO, 32X), the over-proliferation of Full Motion Video, shovelled CD ports, edutainment, crap point-missing peripherals (like the £100+ joystick-chair), the one-on-one fighting game bandwagon, people starting to take PC games seriously (wink), sports game update overkill, etc. etc.

Not all of it fits tightly inside 1994 (perhaps spills into 93-95), but there was something about that period. Maybe it was a symptom of gaming getting too popular too suddenly, but things seemed to get hijacked for a while. All of the dullest, most cynical, most expensive and most marketing-led aspects of modern gaming seemed to converge around this time.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:15 am

Would like to see a wrap up of early PC games. I think many of us first got into gaming on a PC in the early 90's when it cost about 1400 quid for a 66 mhz PC (Did with me !) and the games were okay but still not stunning. Still enjoyed a lot of games back then but i know consoles ruled supreme but theres a lot of classic old PC games around that time.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:39 am

An article on Bioforge.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:05 pm

The Apple II.

But wait, there is already http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3 ... s_the_.php !

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:53 am

Following from the Star Wars suggestion I would like features on the history of certain game themes.

EG a history of footy games - there was one back in retro fusion but it could be done much better I think!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:01 am

Bub&Bob wrote:a history of footy games - there was one back in retro fusion but it could be done much better I think!
NNNOOOOOoooooooo!
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:30 am

A Small feature on Gargoyle games, did'nt produce that many but theyt were great.

MIA game discoveries, I know this is covered on WOS and no doubt on a C64 equivalent. Possibly how bedroom programmers produced a game sold it just through mail order and how much success they had.

Probably b0ll0x ideas but hey.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:59 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:a history of footy games - there was one back in retro fusion but it could be done much better I think!
NNNOOOOOoooooooo!
It's been done in RG anyway—issue 4 for footie games, and 32 for management stuff, according to my mighty spreadsheet.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:19 am

An extension in the Letters Forum section would be nice please.

Thanks.
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:08 am

How about a feature on the best emulators for Palmtop/PDA systems?
Emulators were covered very early on for the PC/desktop computers, but there are some good emulators out there for hand held stuff now, and with a lot of them implementing touch screen technology to older games it open up retro gaming in a way PC's can't.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:16 pm

Bioforge

TheCowardlyLion

Post by TheCowardlyLion » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:53 pm

I've come up with a cracking good idea.

Remember the Marshall Cavendish 'Home Computer Course' and 'Input' magazines ?

How about a 'Introduction To Home Computing' RG style. In other words, a slightly tongue in cheek guide written as if they have bought their very first Spectrum, Amstrad or C64 TODAY!

Preferably the article would be illustrated in that same Marshall Cavendish 'cartoony' style.

Any takers ?

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:44 am

TheCowardlyLion wrote:I've come up with a cracking good idea.

Remember the Marshall Cavendish 'Home Computer Course' and 'Input' magazines ?

How about a 'Introduction To Home Computing' RG style. In other words, a slightly tongue in cheek guide written as if they have bought their very first Spectrum, Amstrad or C64 TODAY!

Preferably the article would be illustrated in that same Marshall Cavendish 'cartoony' style.

Any takers ?
The old emulate this features had a few "In Jokes" on the text of the screens in the piccies for the micros, you would have to look close though.
Just where is Mickey T?

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:22 pm

A four page (minimum) feature on Killer Instinct, written by none other than myself!

How about "I pay YOU" to let me do it??

As I know both Chris and Tim - Okay, so sadly I'm NOT on speaking terms with Chris, and have not been for the last 9! Years, but this could be the moment when we both patch things up and bury the hatchet.

Please do me that favour guys!
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik