Things we still want to see in the magazine....

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:20 pm

I agree with liveinabin's post - more early days of UK computer scene would be excellent. I'd love to know what games came out on these failed 8bits - were there any classics that we missed because most people had spectrums? (snafu and utopia on my crummy Mattel Aquarius were great)

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:13 am

witchfinder wrote:
Muteki wrote:One thing I was going to say (and I was a little hesitant to mention this in case of accidentally stirring up inter-format tension) is that personally I was a bit disappointed with the lack of console coverage in favour of the 8-bits/micros in the last issue.
Agreed. I love the 8-bit computing era myself but feel that the last three retro inspections (ZX81, VIC-20 and Atari 8-bit) have really worn that period a little thin, especially when you consider that AFAIK there still hasn't been a retro inspection of the Neo Geo AES...

I'd love to see a retroinspection on the Neo Geo AES. I did enjoy reading the arcade article about the Neo Geo but a nice retroinspection on the Neo Geo AES along with oh I dunno, a Neo Geo AES stuck to the cover of the mag (or next best thing a nice big poster of one to stick up which I can annoy my other half with) would be great.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:55 pm

Um... what about old Retro Gamer articles?

I've only been reading regularly since issue 43 so I've missed a heckuva lot. I've gotten two back issues but most of them are out of stock, and according to the Live Publishing back issues page, there's a load of topics already covered that I'd have loved to read about.

I know it mightn't be popular with people who already have these issues but, y'know, it could replace that console thing in the back that everybody complains about.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:39 pm

That's what the DVD is for... mostly.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:37 pm

I can't read a DVD while eating my Weetos!

I'll admit some of you probably could. But normal people can't.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:50 pm

Dunjohn wrote:Um... what about old Retro Gamer articles?
The day Retro Gamer starts shoving in reprint is the day it says goodbye to most of its readers. Reprint in any news-stand mag, bar, perhaps, comics (and even there it's not a great move) is a very bad idea.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:58 pm

I've only been reading regularly since issue 43 so I've missed a heckuva lot. I've gotten two back issues but most of them are out of stock, and according to the Live Publishing back issues page, there's a load of topics already covered that I'd have loved to read about.

I know it mightn't be popular with people who already have these issues but, y'know, it could replace that console thing in the back that everybody complains about.
We were actually discussing this last week, when we were looking at things to replace the buyer's guide and were considering printing an old article from the Live Publishing days each month.

We even came up with an amazing name called 'Money for Old Rope' ;)

As Craig has pointed out though it's the start of a slippery slope and while it would possibly please those who has not read them previously, it would no doubt upset long term readers. It would also give the impression that we were running out of content, something that we're definately not.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:09 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:

We were actually discussing this last week, when we were looking at things to replace the buyer's guide and were considering printing an old article from the Live Publishing days each month.

We even came up with an amazing name called 'Money for Old Rope' ;)

As Craig has pointed out though it's the start of a slippery slope and while it would possibly please those who has not read them previously, it would no doubt upset long term readers. It would also give the impression that we were running out of content, something that we're definately not.
It'd also be completely unnecessary, given that you've got an eMag of the first 30 issues already on sale, and presumably, future eMags to come.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:54 pm

I have found the perfect thing that _I_ would like to see in a mag: http://retrospec.sgn.net/users/nwalker/filmation/

And I know I will never ever see that. So I will settle with the excellent web site. A _tiny_ bit more tech in the writing wouldn't hurt though :-).

Now, how about some Night Mission Pinball? From a time when EU programmers still were in their (virtual) diapers and never bettered before the 16-bit era.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:30 pm

I'd like to see maybe one page a month dedicated to the more practical side of collecting retro games, for example how to change the batteries on old cartridges, how best to look after your games, fixing common problems with old consoles, getting older games working on a new TV etc you get the idea.

Also maybe the odd feature on any independent stores that sell retro games - obviously this can lead to semi advertising but I've seen similar things done in comic book magazines very well.

If we want to expand the retro community then just recommending good games is only part of it.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:42 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:I'd like to see maybe one page a month dedicated to the more practical side of collecting retro games, for example how to change the batteries on old cartridges, how best to look after your games, fixing common problems with old consoles, getting older games working on a new TV etc you get the idea.

Also maybe the odd feature on any independent stores that sell retro games - obviously this can lead to semi advertising but I've seen similar things done in comic book magazines very well.

If we want to expand the retro community then just recommending good games is only part of it.
I like those ideas.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:08 pm

Me too, good suggestions there Fightersmegamix :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Tellah

Post by Tellah » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:14 am

I'd like to see a proper look back at the GAMEBOY.
there was a small bit in issue 9, but i don't think there's been anything since. I know it doesn't take the best screenshots, but please give it the retro-inspection treatment.
Of course, if it's already been done let me know which issue and I'll get in the loft!

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:32 am

fightersmegamix's comments about seeing more on the practical side of retro collecting are spot on.

Mostly retro collecting seems to be about the unholy trinity of ebay, carboot sales and charity shops - but I'd love to see more about any small shops etc selling retro.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:50 pm

Most of these mags are appearing quite regularly on ebay though. Some people recently have sold full collections, granted you dont need them all but obviously a quick way to get everything.

I'm sure every issue does appear on ebay frequently