Things we still want to see in the magazine....

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:39 pm

LuxorTheMoonprince wrote:I’d love to see a making of Jet Set Willy along the line of the making of Manic Miner. Each of the 60+ screens covered separately by Mathew Smith. I’d guess it would have to run over 2 or 3 issues.
I'd have to have been run over 2 or 3 times and be held at gunpoint to even contemplate attempting to read that.

:lol: :lol:
Thoughts and prayers.

vampire8bit

Post by vampire8bit » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:53 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
vampire8bit wrote:I'd like to see, an in depth look at the history of castlevania
Er, like the one in the current issue? Or am I missing something?
oops, I haven't seen the latest issue. Thanks for telling us.

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:57 pm

Im most probably covering old ground here, but has there ever been a feature on Japanese company Treasure or the Earthbound/Mother3 series in RG?

vampire8bit

Post by vampire8bit » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:56 pm

famicom69 wrote:Im most probably covering old ground here, but has there ever been a feature on Japanese company Treasure or the Earthbound/Mother3 series in RG?
There was an article on Treasure in issue 8, which was a one of the early retrogamer mags. It was great issue because it had an in depth feature on bubble bobble as well.

David

Post by David » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:01 am

I'd like to see an article on all the sega "Virtua" games

pforson

Post by pforson » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:19 am

How about the Gremlin Actua games?
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Von Paulus

Post by Von Paulus » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:34 pm

It would be nice to see a regular section in the magazine covering the game cover arts and the artists who produced them.

Cafeman

Post by Cafeman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:43 pm

I would really like to read in-depth articles about certain games' levels, or series of a game's various versions across sequels and systems. Nothing short-and-fluffy or "remember-when" but have somebody go into much detail about what is better or worse about respective various iterations of these games.

For example, say you did a Road Rash Anthology (hmmm, a possible name for such an article?). Why was RR on Genesis beloved and impressive in its day? What did RR2 and RR3 on Genesis (Mega Drive) do differently ,and did it kinda ruin or kinda improve things? Discuss the Sega CD version -- what is improved? Was the game on SNES? I can't remember but if so, cover that version too. Talk about changes to the series when it migrated to 3DO. Then talk about the 3DO ports to Saturn/PS1 -- what are the differences. Which is more fun of the latter 3 mentioned, which has the best frame rate or gameplay or music.

Another thing I would really like -- articles which show a lot of screen shots for one game. For example, if you took Spider-Man vs Kingpin for Sega CD -- show a couple pages of many screen caps and associated text describing the Spidey vs the bosses/villains and other parts. Maybe show a composite of Spidey CD's NY map and where each villain is stationed. You know, another idea would be Spidey fighting various incarnations of villains across different games & systems. 2600 Spidey Vs green Goblin, all the way up to the 16-bit versions of Spidey - again, many nice screen caps along with well written verbiage describing how each dev team tackled the approach of each villain's movement and gameplay etc.

...... know what, maybe I'd be game to write such articles!

merman

Post by merman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:42 am

Von Paulus wrote:It would be nice to see a regular section in the magazine covering the game cover arts and the artists who produced them.
Roger Dean was featured in a recent issue, there should be another piece on a famous cover artist soon...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:15 am

merman wrote:Roger Dean was featured in a recent issue
#50. Darran also did something on Oli Frey way back in #24.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

TheShend

Re:

Post by TheShend » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:08 am

TheShend wrote:I'd like to see some more room dedicated for the large beat 'em up competitions that appear year on year. We've just had America's Evolution Tournament and as I'm typing the largest and most prestigous event Tougeki aka Super Battle Opera is on! Last month was the UK's biggest event so far in Battle of Destiny in London and I'm sure China's The Great Battle (a KOF fest) is due soon.

Come on RG, there's plenty of mileage in them.
Thought I'd bump this thread and quote myself as that time of year's come around again!

Starting today we have the USA's largest Beat 'em up Tournament Evolution aka EVO kicking off for 3 full days in Las Vegas. We've old timer titles in SFIII: 3rd Strike and MvC2 sitting alongside the modern efforts of SFIV, SFII:HDR and TvC to name but a few. Amazingly, the event is to have live streaming! http://evo2k.com/live/

EVO is being franchised/brought to South America this year as well, 1st time I've heard of the continent getting a national tournament for beat 'em ups.

Next month Super Battle Opera aka Tougeki is kicking off and has had since March Qualifier spots being held all over the country. The foreign teams have been decided and in a cheeky move, 2 US players came to the European Qualifier in France (Stunfest '09) to take the SFIII spot to increase their odds of a spot.

Over in Australia, the 8th OzHadou Nationals Tournament is taking place this weekend as well! http://www.ozhadou.net/ohn8/

I'm not done yet! The next largest SFIII tournament in Japan, Cooperation Cup, is also happening this weekend too! The event is so popular, it's a 5 man team tournament and is seen as an excellent way to build excitement and interest in the run up to SBO!

*phew*

Wait, one more.....the UK has Super vs Battle happening again in September in London....*collapses*

I don't expect Retro Gamer to cover anything massively in-depth, but I do think with 2009 being 'The rise of the beat 'em up' with SFIV, TvC, BlazBlue, KOF XII and the gamut of LIVE beat 'em ups like KOF98, Garou, MvC2 and SFII:HDR that maybe larger competitor tournaments should see some coverage.
If you think about it, there's already coverage of classic arcade games' world records for top scores being set and with classic and new beat 'em up arcade titles, these large competitor events are the equivalent. People are still actively trying to vie for the top spot of best player.

I also think there's a broader article in this, there's a myriad of differences between different countries takes on similar events, in Japan, it's all arcade but winning just brings prestige*. Whereas the US has big cash prizes which brings Japan players over but events are held on console, bringing the issue of accurate ports/versions into the equation and so on and so forth. Then there's the effort for an event to be recognised and attempt to have worldwide presence which hopefully will bring the expert foreign competitors. UK's SvB for instance, is trying to establish itself as the UK's version of EVO or SBO.

Is there any mileage in this for RG?

*Need to double check but I'm under the impression Japan has some gambling laws about cash prizes?

Kai

Re: Things we still want to see in the magazine....

Post by Kai » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:47 am

I'd love to see an extensive article about Super Cars and Super Cars II, two of the best racing games on the Amiga.

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0

Post by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:54 am

"What If..." Sonic had made it to the home computers... Jet Set Willy was an arcade game... Street Fighter II was on the Atari 2600?!?! I loved the thought of Halo on the Spectrum (it would absolutely be by Ocean!) and this feature could easily be spread out over an entire page.

I'd like to see a feature on Chris Hulsbeck. I think his music on the likes of Turrican, Apidya, etc is exceptional and happily listen to it in the car!

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:47 am

I'd like to see a large Mega Man feature. That series started out years ago on the NES, has appeared in every console generation since and then went back to its roots with the brand new retro-styled Mega Man 9.

Having said that, I'm new here, so if that's already been done please let me know what issue it was in so I can track it down.

8)
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:59 am

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 wrote:I'd like to see a feature on Chris Hulsbeck. I think his music on the likes of Turrican, Apidya, etc is exceptional and happily listen to it in the car!
Mm. I think musicians are too rarely covered in the mag. Mind you, I pitched a Chris Hulsbeck interview about three years back, along with a Martin Galway 'in the chair' and various other features on classic game musicians, and none of them ever got commissioned, so don't hold your breath.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com