Things we still want to see in the magazine....

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bub&Bob

Things we still want to see in the magazine....

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:36 am

as per Darran's suggestion.....

The Archer articles - or if he's not available, someone else.

Plenty of 8-bit

Top 25 Genres - but with a lot more detail on the top 5

More developer articles (which don't go across 2/3 issues)
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:51 am

AN ARTICLE ABOUT ACID / VISION SOFTWARE:

(Skidmarks, Roadkill, Seek and Destroy, Blitz Basic, Guardian, etc. on the Amiga, various budget releases on the PC).
Last edited by Heavy Stylus on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:51 am

The Master wrote:PAC-MAN

:shock: ... isn't it about time??

Opa-Opa

Re: Things we still want to see in the magazine....

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:53 am

Bub&Bob wrote: The Archer articles - or if he's not available, someone else.
This is what I am hoping for, the guy has really "lived" video games for years and has some amazing storys.
I would rather we don't have another ex-atari yank going on about how much fun it was to skate board down the corridors or smoke pot at work like Gamestm has with that really boring bloke they seem to have picked up from somewhere and dusted off... (Howard scott Warshaw).

I'd love to see some more arcade stuff, not sure what but at the moment RetroGamer has never had an article that "explaines" what arcades were really like. (I don't know how to put together such an article, I'm just a reader, not a writer).

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:28 am

Mm. I'd like to see a regular feature like the "My Beautiful Arcade" one that ran in (er) Arcade, where there's a report on some location or other - city centres, coastal resorts, theme parks etc - and where you can find some videogame arcades there (rather than just fruit-machine ones), and what games they actually have. I'm sure RG's freelancers are fairly well scattered across the country and have digital cameras, so it wouldn't break the budget on expensive train fares...

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:33 am

Didn't they stop this in RG because people were going to the featured arcades following the printing of the article, buying the machines off the arcade owners on the cheap and flogging them for huge sums on ePrey? Or something like that?
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:35 am

Funny how we're all different !

I was quite glad when Archers page or two had gone from the mag as i was never a huge fan of those. As it was quite small i didnt really moan about it much.

I would love to see 'games you must try...' on various systems but not the usual names. Really like it when theres an article about a game i've never tried before (because it wasnt a mainstream title) and then theres a screenshot/mention of it in RG so i give it a go and its a cracker.

As for the comment about an article about Acid / Vision software, never heard of them ever. Wouldnt mind a few more popular companies reviewed first than them ! ;)

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:47 am

Austrailian developer/publisher Vision/Acid released some of the very best games on the Amiga platform (on a par with Sensi and Team 17, IMO), and Blitz Basic was a massive step up from AMOS and it was the development package of choice for many later Amiga games. It is probably one of the Amiga's most important bits of productivity software, and resulted in the Amiga having a particularly strong homebrew gaming scene.

As well as the commercial programs mentioned above (which is far from exhaustive) they also released a bunch of free/shareware games over the years.

They transferred over to the PC platform, released a handfull of other PC shareware games (Juno Nemesis and G-Tok being notable entries), then promptly vanished a few years ago.

I appreciate it's very unlikely to happen, but I think that it would be an interesting article and their releases have stood the test of time particularly well.

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:05 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Plenty of 8-bit
One thing I was going to say (and I was a little hesitant to mention this in case of accidentally stirring up inter-format tension) is that personally I was a bit disappointed with the lack of console coverage in favour of the 8-bits/micros in the last issue. I don't have a problem with 8-bit coverage at all, but as a reader whom it doesn't interest, it's really appreciated when the balance is kept a little more even across the issue as a whole.

RG is usually really good with this (and it must be a right pain in the arse trying to keep everyone happy in a multi-format stylee), like I said, it was just that issue 46 was a bit disappointing for me in that respect. Anyway, minor concern voiced, feedback over.

Some article ideas right off the top of my head:

- A piece studying what it says about the intrinsic value of sports games when they're always the dregs of what's left in Gamestation. ;)

- A light-hearted piece about which games came packed-in with systems. Perhaps square them off against each other by giving them Top Trumps-style ratings, something like: Added value factor, 'Making your mates jealous' factor, 'Appropriateness for the system' factor, Longevity and so on. Longevity could be measured on the 'Christmas gift' scale, ie. how far into January you'd still be playing it before it was left to become lonely on the shelf. You could also do a ratio of how good/bad the pack-in game(s) were compared to how well/badly the system did.

- Another light-hearted piece (perhaps a series of boxouts) about fondly-regarded graphical effects (colour shifting, parallax scrolling, wibbly raster effects, scaling/rotation), contemplating exactly how ingenious each was, how much of an instant 'Wow' factor they created, and giving notable applications of them in games.

- This sounds like a fairly unoriginal idea, so it may have been done already, but: a piece charting tabloid/media furores over gaming in the past. What they were triggered by, how many untruths were perpetuated by them, and what we've all learned from each one.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:16 am

an X rated retro game feature would be fun
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:31 am

Muteki wrote:One thing I was going to say (and I was a little hesitant to mention this in case of accidentally stirring up inter-format tension) is that personally I was a bit disappointed with the lack of console coverage in favour of the 8-bits/micros in the last issue.
Agreed. I love the 8-bit computing era myself but feel that the last three retro inspections (ZX81, VIC-20 and Atari 8-bit) have really worn that period a little thin, especially when you consider that AFAIK there still hasn't been a retro inspection of the Neo Geo AES...
Muteki wrote: - A light-hearted piece about which games came packed-in with systems.
This would be great. From Combat on the 2600, through Batman on the Amiga, Super Mario/Duck Hunt on the NES, Altered Beast on the MD all the way to Goldeneye and even Wii Sports, there have been some fantastic pack-in games but there must have been an equal amount of dross too... The "Hollywood" C64C pack that I got for Xmas in '88 featuring crap like Miami Vice and Top Gun springs to mind! :roll:

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:31 am

Heavy Stylus wrote:
I appreciate it's very unlikely to happen
Not so.. see your thread in Q&A

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:42 am

I was so busy responding to the suggestions already made, I forgot to add my own list stuff I'd like to see...

1. Taito company profile (don't think we've had one of these yet have we?)

2. Complete history of Star Wars games across all platforms, highlighting the very best (e.g. Atari's Vector game and TIE Fighter) to the worst (e.g. Atari's Jedi Arena and Star Wars Demolition on the PS1 :shock:)

3. Commander Keen! :D

4. More obscure Japanese wackiness.

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:00 am

mikeb wrote:
Heavy Stylus wrote:
I appreciate it's very unlikely to happen
Not so.. see your thread in Q&A
Forgot about that! Didn't have any replies last time I checked - I'm glad some people thought it was a good idea :)

Their releases really had a definitive style - I miss playing roadkill and guardian on my CD32... Check out Juno Nemesis though from MKingStudios - Acid's last game I think, and a decent Tempest tribute for the PC.

Seriously, groups like Acid and Team 17 were what made the 90's my golden age of gaming.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:23 am

I'd be very interested in seeing what happened to the Saturn games in development limbo.

F1, Colin MacRae, Ninja, Fighting Force, Deadly Skies, Congo (it got a US release) et al.
Thoughts and prayers.