Official Feedback FOR ISSUE 47

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:41 am

Opa-Opa wrote:
I make that 26 wasted pages.
You waste at least that many seconds of your podcast singing.

Do you know how many better things I could be downloading with my hard-earned time that you singing?

You waster.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:20 am

bensonrad wrote:
Dreamcast re-release game is mentioned in the news section, where do I get this from though, you can hint if you can't put up on here, only place I can find it is playasia, but that seems to be the original and is pretty pricey. Cheers

Sorry just re-read that and released it was refering to coming out on the Wii not the DC. (or am I wrong again there?) :?
you're thinking of the milestone pack which contains Karous, radilrgy and Chaos field.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:22 am

Opa-Opa wrote:6 wasted pages on fruit machines with very little writing and huge boring pictures
I'm a bit puzzled as to why the boxout about fruit machine emulation got cut from the finished article (there seemed to be plenty of room for it), but most of the machines covered in the piece can be played on PC via emus, and therefore ARE videogames by any reasonable definition.

Weird that people are complaining of too much text and wanting bigger pictures in the collectors piece, yet also complaining about the largeness of the pics in this feature, where they're really needed to show the detail. Can't please all the people etc...

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:27 am

SirClive wrote:even the fruit machines is good as it IS game related (unlike the pinball one).
I'm not sure I understand this comment. What's the difference?

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:28 am

Bloody hell moan moan moan, get a grip. A very enjoyable issue, certainly not one to be ripped to shreads at all. If you do not like it, DON'T BUY THE MAG or DON'T RENEW YOUR SUB. It's that simple...
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:29 am

Opa-Opa wrote:But could have been a lot better, Unirally.? Diddy Kong Racing.? not really the best that there is to offer in the "racing" department and lets not forget Chase HQ, which isn't a racing game at all, who are you racing against, where are you racing too..? It's a driving game, not a racing game.
You're racing against the clock, of course. You've heard the phrase "a race against time" before, yes?

Emperor_Megatron

Post by Emperor_Megatron » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:39 am

So what, that makes it what? 10 whole pages out of 47 issues of RG on Pinball, and the rest for non pinball?

Get ("Plucked"-Ed. Damned thing printed the actual word!). Pinball is an important part of gaming, especially arcade gaming. It has just as much (if not more) right to be in this magazine as does that shooting gallery did.
What shits me is that I'm going to be painted as some "Pinball only lover" when I love all Retro Gaming.
*says while bored in monotone* Pinball is just as worthy of being in this magazine as does everything else. Pinball is truly the king of "pick up and play". It features set tasks, challenges, and skill shots. It is based on simplistic, repetitive gameplay, you get better by practise, you compete with others mainly by score, and they're fun.

Now what in the name of censored have I mentioned that DOESN'T sound like Retro Gaming at its purest definition?
I'm bored of this Pinball discussion. You don't like it, I understand it. MOST of the more "vocal" forum members don't like it. I appreciate that.

I, on the other hand love Pinball. I know a certain Doctor Who fan here who does too. There are plenty of people here who enjoy it.....
*sighs* Seriously, I'm not going to argue about this anymore.

All I'm saying is that there is MORE than enough magazine to go round.
We CAN have articles on less popular and common things. I swear, if we just cater to the lowest common denominator we'll all suffer in the long run as far as quality is concerned.

As I've said before, the Pinball industry is still active and worth serious money, more than I can say for almost all of the companies mentioned in our magazine.

But seriously, and I KNOW Opa Opa will agree, can we have a promise from Darran that we NEVER EVER EVER EVER in the name of all that is sweet, EVER have anything in the magazine to do with "Buck Hunters" and other hunting games? They need to burn and the creators be destroyed!!
Last edited by Emperor_Megatron on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:40 am

Racing against the ability to put forward a convincing argument more like..

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:51 am

Should we take it that Outrun isn't a racing game either, then?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:55 am

Emperor_Megatron wrote:But seriously, and I KNOW Opa Opa will agree, can we have a promise from Darran that we NEVER EVER EVER EVER in the name of all that is sweet, EVER have anything in the magazine to do with "Buck Hunters" and other hunting games? They need to burn and the creators be destroyed!!
But I like Cabela's African Safari...

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:55 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:Should we take it that Outrun isn't a racing game either, then?
OutRun's a crashing game... :/

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:59 am

To be fair, most racers are when I play 'em.

Emperor_Megatron

Post by Emperor_Megatron » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:07 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Emperor_Megatron wrote:But seriously, and I KNOW Opa Opa will agree, can we have a promise from Darran that we NEVER EVER EVER EVER in the name of all that is sweet, EVER have anything in the magazine to do with "Buck Hunters" and other hunting games? They need to burn and the creators be destroyed!!
But I like Cabela's African Safari...

Jeez mate, you're putting me in a tight spot here, I mean, from what I know of you I think you're a really awesome bloke, but....a hunting game......dude.....

(Translation from Australian: I say, by jove, tally ho, pip pip, what a predicament, you seem to be a fine upstanding member of the community, but what with this here announcement, well, does the term "cocked it up completly" mean anything?) ;)

Welllllllllllllllll, I'll admit I like the bonus rounds of some of the hunting games.

But seriously Darran, are there any other filthy skeletons in your cupboard? Are you perhaps a closet Rise of the Robots player? Or maybe that copy of Akira for amiga ISN'T on your table waiting to get crushed, but......played?

For shame, mate ;)

For the unholy sin of liking a hunting game, I'm afraid you're simply not worthy to be shown pictures of my next project at work, a restoration of an upright Robotron 2084. See? Thats what you get for liking Hunting Games. Or rather, thats what you DON'T get to see.

Seriously Darran, every time you play a hunting game, God kills a Strider PCB.......mate, think of the PCBs. Think of Hiryu. Does he deserve to die for your FILTHY DISGUSTING Hunting Sins? DOES HE??!!

*Really half tempted to mail Darran a SNES Rise of the Robots for Christmas 2008*

:twisted: :lol:

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:09 am

From my point of view the top 25 racers covered a very interesting range of games, and was well put together.

Unirally is superb as a two-player racing game; I once spent a very enjoyable morning with my brother racing through all the tracks, and on every race we were never more than a few tenths of a second apart.

Again, I have to say it was a nice range of topics, I wasn't keen on the fruit machine article but I can't argue against its inclusion or the fact that it was well-written.

Kudos on the Will Wright interview, Stuart.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:09 am

Can people stop picking on OpaOpa please?

He has his reasons for not liking this issue. End of. If you don't agree, that's cool, but there's no reason to censored about it for pages and pages.

It's clear from his first post that he didn't really want to raise his criticisms because he knew this would happen. I concur with not all, but some of the points he raised, but I don't see the point in ranting about wasted pages and the like.

We've all got our core interests, and due to the very nature of RG not everyone will be happy with every issue. I thought this was a feedback thread for pointing out things that people thought were good/bad about the constant evolution of the mag? AFIAK it's not somewhere to complain/argue with other people's preferences.

On the subject of feedback though, I found the Elite feature very interesting. As Mike Bevan has already stated above, I also thought the Bezerk article formatting was really well done.

Only negetive points as far as I'm concerned was the cover - I think you would have been better off going with a print of the original Elite box-art and keeping the usual RG logo. I didn't like last months cover art either - I thought it looked a little amaterish compared with previous issues (to be brutally honest). I'm a huge Atari fan, but I thought the cover was genuinely uninteresting - just a mock up of some wood panelling with an Atari fuji on it... Have you changed artist recently?
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.