Official Feedback FOR ISSUE 47

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:35 pm

mikeb wrote:I get the feeling he didn't read, or doesn't remember the actual review itself, if I'm not mistaken it was still fairly constructive
It was entirely constructive and gave reasons for all its criticisms in detail. And as for attention-seeking controversy, it was written by Rich Longhurst, possibly the soberest and least-attention-seeking writer ever to work for AP. (He did about three front-section reviews ever.) Braben later actually accused us of doctoring screenshots to make it look worse.

If anything, 65% for the slideshow A500 version was soft...

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:35 pm

merman wrote:
yethboth wrote:
merman wrote:

Which one? The Operation Wolf style gun game on the Arcade or the left to right run and gun/motorcycle Megadrive game or the 8-bit/16-bit Home Computer game?

There are currently 3 different kinds of this game.
Way to spoil the spoiler. The 8-bit/16-bit computer game...

Sorry. :oops: I just can't wait to read this issue and the suspense is killing me! I also love reading the Retro Shamer Feature every month as I always look forward to see what appalling game is going to be featured next. :D

Does anyone remember the Coin Op game and the Megadrive run and gun/motorcycle game anyway?

Also, has the letters forum section been extended as requested in the last feedback?

Thanks.
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

rupert

Post by rupert » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:44 pm

Really like the cover allthough Elite is a game ive never played :oops:

Infact the last 3 covers have really stood out compared to previous issues, I hope the inovation/ imagination in that department continues going forward.

I like the new Collectors Corner layout, allthough I felt there was too few pictures of Craig's collection that didnt do the collection justice as it sounded more impressive in his answers (I'm guessing this is craig's fault/ discisson for not sending in more pictures though?).

I am looking forward to reading the top 25 racers artical - pleased to see Stunt Car Racer in there, but thought Micro Machines might get a slightly higher place. I wasnt expecting the top 2 at all!

Not sure about the fruit machine stuff :? I've seen too many friends blow there entire weeks wage on them in the pub far too offten, I steer clear of them due to this. i guess there must have been some demand for the feature though so it's all good.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:02 pm

rupert wrote: i guess there must have been some demand for the feature though so it's all good.
Yeah, Stu demanded I paid him money for it :lol:

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:13 pm

mario kart only number 3, shame on you, shame on you

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:14 pm

Was surprised not to see that Ferrari thing on the DC that everyone has been banging on about.

Skull Commander

FIRST POST!

Post by Skull Commander » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:15 pm

rupert wrote:

I like the new Collectors Corner layout, allthough I felt there was too few pictures of Craig's collection that didnt do the collection justice as it sounded more impressive in his answers (I'm guessing this is craig's fault/ discisson for not sending in more pictures though?).

First up hi! I'm Craig (collecter guy!), and just wanted to reply to the above. I did send in a load of pics, and am kinda dissapointed that the ones that were used havn't really done my collection justice.
First of all my street fighter collection pic is bigger and has been totally trimmed down, missing out a lot of it. Same can be said for the AES stuff as well, (you can almost make out mutation nation, but sengoku 2 is awol).
A lot of my pics were focusing on beat em ups, aes and street fighter games. I didn't realise that the whole capcom thing was gong to be featured so strongly in the article till after I submitted the pics. I can post the full pics if anyone is interested enough to see them.
Don't mean to sound all negative, first post and all that, but I just thought I'd justify myself and my collection! :D

P.S. Good issue by the way!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:17 pm

How about you start another thread and show us the pictures that weren't used? We often get a 'dvd extras' thread for the stuff that can't be fitted into an article.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:17 pm

Just had a quick flick through(ooer missus) while on the throne. Like the look. Very nostalgic. I quite liked the C64 version of retro shamer.

rupert

Re: FIRST POST!

Post by rupert » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Skull Commander wrote:
rupert wrote:

First up hi! I'm Craig (collecter guy!), and just wanted to reply to the above. I did send in a load of pics, and am kinda dissapointed that the ones that were used havn't really done my collection justice.
First of all my street fighter collection pic is bigger and has been totally trimmed down, missing out a lot of it. Same can be said for the AES stuff as well, (you can almost make out mutation nation, but sengoku 2 is awol).
A lot of my pics were focusing on beat em ups, aes and street fighter games. I didn't realise that the whole capcom thing was gong to be featured so strongly in the article till after I submitted the pics. I can post the full pics if anyone is interested enough to see them.
Don't mean to sound all negative, first post and all that, but I just thought I'd justify myself and my collection! :D

well thats what i was saying, I could tell from the artical that your collection was more impressive than the few pics led us to beleave.. I guess more pics would have ment less words though.

I'd love to see a thread of all the pics, with captions etc :)

Also, just spotted the Chips Challenge artical - looking forward to that one aswell.

Does anyone remember if theres been a Stunt Car Racer artical (I don't recall one). Any plans for this in the future?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:29 pm

I'm sure Stunt Car Racer was covered in a previous issue....
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:39 pm

I think the difficulty is in getting Geoff Crammond to talk.. he's notoriously publicity shy, well.. either that or plain unwilling..

Skull Commander

Re: FIRST POST!

Post by Skull Commander » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:58 pm

rupert wrote:
Skull Commander wrote:
rupert wrote:

well thats what i was saying, I could tell from the artical that your collection was more impressive than the few pics led us to beleave.. I guess more pics would have ment less words though.

I'd love to see a thread of all the pics, with captions etc :)

Also, just spotted the Chips Challenge artical - looking forward to that one aswell.

Does anyone remember if theres been a Stunt Car Racer artical (I don't recall one). Any plans for this in the future?
I shall stick up a thread (maybe tomorrow) with the extra pics in their full glory.
I don't mean to sound like a whinging bastard, cause I'm not and I appreciate the work that goes into making retro gamer the best mag out there. I'm only glad that you enjoyed reading about my collection, as I very much enjoyed being given the chance to enthuse on something that is very close to my heart.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:02 pm

Apologies Craig, we're still trying to find a fine balance on that particular piece. You're right in this particular case it would ave benefitted from more pics. Maybe we need to drastically cut down the text or run it over four pages...

Skull Commander

Post by Skull Commander » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:46 pm

Personally I would say run it over 4 pages! I always enjoy the collectors section (since it was in gamestm) , and think giving it some room to "breathe" would make it even better.