Official Feedback FOR ISSUE 47

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:00 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:People who prefer the original Mario Kart to MK64 are WEIRD.
We're just CORRECT :wink:
Luddites, more like. If you like older games so much more than newer ones, maybe you should just go off and make a magazine about -

Oh.
:lol:

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:06 pm

I must agree about Sega Rally on the Sega Saturn being number 1 in the top 25 racers. Sega Rally is a classic sega racer on the sega saturn. It is also cool how you can make a 5 second song out of 'Game Over'.

As it goes: 'GAME OVER YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!'

:mrgreen:
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:16 pm

rtrgrl78 wrote:Really enjoyed this issue, especially the piece on the top 25 racers. It was good to see a lot of my favourite games in there, has made me play Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 again, am even considering bring the megadrive from the spare room to play in its original form, in fact I love most of the games in that article.
I also loved the article too - and it's good to see other people who also appreciate how good the Lotus Turbo Challenge games really were.

dr_bob

Post by dr_bob » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:26 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:People who prefer the original Mario Kart to MK64 are WEIRD.
I prefer the DS version over both of them.
I Like it a lot and it even has MK/MK64 tracks, but what about snaking?
It pretty much kills the online multiplayer game...

merman

Post by merman » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:07 am

Better track design, no blue shell to worry about, closer racing - yep, I'm weird, I prefer the original.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:22 am

dr_bob wrote:I Like it a lot and it even has MK/MK64 tracks, but what about snaking?
It's not an issue when you totally ignore the online element—which I do.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

romanista

Post by romanista » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:32 am

or just playing online against friends with whom you made a deal not to snake.. and as you can only play the original agaisnt friend (at least people in your house), that is fairer to compare it too..
MKDS is dwef. the best version
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:55 am

I was so disappointed in MKDS, because it had loads of tracks from the previous games in the series, but all the crappy boring ones and none of the really good ones (ie Yoshi Valley).

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:01 am

Been playing the N64 version a lot , also love the GBA one. Havent tried the DS

Mario Kart on the SNES was a classic but dont think its aged well, way too many laps and it just gets boring, second you go into the lead its constant raining bananas in front of you

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:46 am

How are we even having this debate? SNES MK is the best, the law says so.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:40 am

I didn't mind the 25 best racers list too much. I was surprised to see not 1 but 2 3DO games. :D

Like I say, I didn't mind the list, the order was somewhat contentious. #1. #2 and #3 causing my brain to bleed - but, obviously, it's just an opinion.

I was going to rant for 500 words but -- peace. OK. It's all OK. [/Calm]

F*****G SEGA RALLY!!??!!!? [/mumble--mumble...chunter--chunter]

MSR was good wasn't it? I loved that game. It was great.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:15 am

I thought MSR was dreadful, and anyone referring to the 'kudos' system as anything other than a flawed, stupid, irritating shambles is very strange indeed.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

will2097

Post by will2097 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:05 am

...it's just ...an... opinion... must... not bite... will... g g get.... banned. GNNNARRRR!

Ok.

Agreed. The kudos system was flawed. (Floored geddit?) however the handling of the cars, the choice of cars, the use of timing, the graphics, the sound, the ambiance, the value-for-money, meant for me it was fuller game.

Like it's PGR successors, it managed to satisfy gear-head-car-lusting people, like me, who like looking at cars, watching cars, driving cars, cleaning cars, while being a fun almost but not quite arcade game for normal folk.

It was nearly a perfect balance between real and arcade, something, and I love it to bits, Gran turismo never managed.

Sure the cars didn't handle anything like their real-world counter-parts but they did handle like a cartoon copy of their counter parts. RWDs tailed, AWDs went wide, etc. There was more varied and interesting challenges. It was brilliant. A perfect home console car related game.

It certainly had wider appeal than Sega Rally. Sega Rally was good. Really good. But I would say, IMHO, MSR was better. Sega Rally deserves no more to be #1 than Ridge Racer does.

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:07 am

Im with Craig, MSR was overhyped tosh.

The Kudos system was a nice idea, bugged and floored but nice idea.
And the realtime clock was awful, got fed up with driving at night, couldnt be bothered changing the clock on the machine to make it right either.

The challenges were ok, and the game was okay, but would'nt have made my top 250 to be honest.

As for Sega Rally, superlatives dont exist to do it justice, then and now. Lots of games were missing from the list, personally i didnt like the inclusion of the Mario Kart games, they are more like shoot em ups to me.

Hey Ho, horses for courses
Just where is Mickey T?

Spector

Post by Spector » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:45 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:I thought MSR was dreadful, and anyone referring to the 'kudos' system as anything other than a flawed, stupid, irritating shambles is very strange indeed.
I agree with that. The kudos system seems to be a bit like giving Man Utd a deferential goal simply because Chritiano Ronaldo does fifteen stepovers in one game, and I just didn't see the point in it.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)