Official Feedback FOR ISSUE 47

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:46 am

One thing I've noticed about the B&W cover is it REALLY stands out on the shelf in WHSmith. All the other mags kind of look the same and blend into one big colourful smurge but the Elite cover is really eyecatching.

So, er, there! :)
http://www.psytronik.net/ - New games for retro gaming systems!
http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/ - Binary Zone Retro Store!
http://psytronik.blogspot.com/ - Psytronik Software Blog now online!

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:04 am

In the same way that a Pox ridden leper might be eye catching in the high street? ;)
Just where is Mickey T?

Cheeseburger

Post by Cheeseburger » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:09 pm

I liked the Elite feature and found it interesting even though I'm not a huge fan of the game. I must admit I thought the cover was naff but its grown on me and it certainly does stand out from the usual bland magazines.

Nice to see Oh Mummy featured as well. I'm going to have to have a bash on that again soon.

The fruit machine article was a pleasant surprise and a refreshing change. I missed the pinball one, so will definitely have to cough up for a back issue to catch up with that.

Lastly, the Back To series were both terrific reads and I particularly like the pictures and captions in the few issues I've read (Peter Shilton was never as good as a King Edward!). I agree with one of the forumites in an earlier post that the 90's could do with a fast forward a couple of years.

Oh, and the making of Berzerk was great too!!

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:56 pm

rainbird rich wrote:The Elite article was interesting. I can certainly sympathise with David Braben's experiences of having to deal with Gametek once Konami gave up on publishing Frontier:Elite II themselves...

I was just wondering if the subject of 'Star Clash' (Gremlin Graphics) was avoided in the correspondence or exorcised from the article? For those who aren't aware, it was a BBC title that had uncanny similarities with 'Elite' to the point that Gremlin withdrew it shortly after release...
When I interviewed Braben and Bell for the BBC article back in August, I asked them both the same question:

Me: Gremlin's short-lived Star Clash was notoriously similar to the original Elite. What was your reaction to this game, and how was the situation eventually resolved?

IB: I don't think I've ever seen it.
DB: It did look a little like plagiarism to me. I even saw a bug in it that I knew to be in Elite, and asked Gremlin (the publisher) if we could have a neutral party compare the source code of the two games. It was withdrawn shortly afterwards.

Kai

Post by Kai » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:30 am

Tapey297 wrote:Also I had never heard the term Sandbox game,
That term is applied to games with a very open gameplay like the GTA series.

rainbird rich

Post by rainbird rich » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:10 am

ivortheinjun wrote:
rainbird rich wrote:The Elite article was interesting. I can certainly sympathise with David Braben's experiences of having to deal with Gametek once Konami gave up on publishing Frontier:Elite II themselves...

I was just wondering if the subject of 'Star Clash' (Gremlin Graphics) was avoided in the correspondence or exorcised from the article? For those who aren't aware, it was a BBC title that had uncanny similarities with 'Elite' to the point that Gremlin withdrew it shortly after release...
When I interviewed Braben and Bell for the BBC article back in August, I asked them both the same question:

Me: Gremlin's short-lived Star Clash was notoriously similar to the original Elite. What was your reaction to this game, and how was the situation eventually resolved?

IB: I don't think I've ever seen it.
DB: It did look a little like plagiarism to me. I even saw a bug in it that I knew to be in Elite, and asked Gremlin (the publisher) if we could have a neutral party compare the source code of the two games. It was withdrawn shortly afterwards.
Yes, that was pretty much the story.

I guess you could say I was in a unique position as I had some involvement with the 16-bit versions of Elite and then Frontier: Elite II and I knew the man behind 'Star Clash' as I went to school with him! ;-)
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:06 pm

Kenz wrote:I was kind of hoping the cover would look something like this:-

But that's just me I guess! :wink:

WOW! :o Very Nice! :D How did you do it?

I prefer this front cover than the other front cover. :D
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:12 pm

yethboth wrote:
Kenz wrote:I was kind of hoping the cover would look something like this:-

But that's just me I guess! :wink:

WOW! :o Very Nice! :D How did you do it?

I prefer this front cover than the other front cover. :D

nice omage to Oli Frey's fantastic covers from the Crash era.
plent of action, plus, it just looks fan-bloody-tastic!

i have to admit, the b & w cover is eye catching, but, i like this cover too..

stonking issue as well. haven't had the chance to read it properly as yet, just a quick flick through.
just hope the next issue is just as good.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

3fruits

cool

Post by 3fruits » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:26 am

great issue, one the best so ,although I can't agree with the terminator 2 review, on the amstrad 464 t2 for its time was great!! yeh it was repetative but still cool with good graphics.

chrisgoodhead

Post by chrisgoodhead » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying. I used one called BeebEm which came with Elite as one of the pre-loaded games. I got it running straight away with no problems at all and I'm pretty inept when it comes to PC's.
TheCowardlyLion wrote:I haven't tried a BBC emulater for 4 or 5 years as last time I had a crack at it, it seemed overly complicated to set up compared to the Amstrad, Spectrum and Commodore.

Which BBC emulater did you download and is it good ?

snigfarp

Post by snigfarp » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:11 am

I just picked up the issue yesterday and I'm still enjoying reading it. I was a fan of Elite so I really enjoyed that. It was slightly disappointing not to see an Electron screen shot in there, as that was pure black and white and would have matched the cover perfectly.

I found the Atari 800XL article really interesting. I'm always interested in computer systems I didn't have, especially those that were ahead of their time or otherwise technically impressive. Have you ever done the Acorn Atom?
Damian
New Speccy games - http://spectrum.cyningstan.org.uk/
Psion handheld gaming - http://psigamer.cyningstan.org.uk/

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:24 pm

Really enjoyed this issue, especially the piece on the top 25 racers. It was good to see a lot of my favourite games in there, has made me play Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 again, am even considering bring the megadrive from the spare room to play in its original form, in fact I love most of the games in that article. The Ultimate Mortal Kombat, review for the DS summed exactly my thoughts too, its a good game graphicall but just does not work enought the DS Pad, though the puzzle game is good, I doubt you would ever get the chance to carry out a 'special' move as you simply can't get to the buttons quick enough. Enjoyed reading about Ristar it is a very good game, if there was no sonic, this could have easily have been segas mascot. Really enjoyed, in the chair with Will Wright, as am big fan of the Sims games. Love the magazine.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:56 am

Finished reading the mag now and the only error I could see was the mention of 486 Pentium in the Magic Carpet feature.

Easy to do typo though.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:25 am

MikeHaggar wrote:Finished reading the mag now and the only error I could see was the mention of 486 Pentium in the Magic Carpet feature.

Easy to do typo though.
You mean you did'nt own one? I had to squeeze 2 processors into the one slot to get the game running at a usable speed :wink:

romanista

Post by romanista » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:38 am

took some time to reach these shores, but here i am

- Atari 800, instructions how to emulate it on the mac now on www.macretro.ricklindeman.nl
- good balanced ea article, non evil empire stuff, 4 shots of the tennis game?
- campbell's makes even fruit machines sound interesting, would prefer some love from strange games though from him
- berzerk- good you showed the vectrex version.. so beautiful.. i have it - yeah
- top 25 racers.. a top 25 i actually agree on.. Gopod to see unirally mentioned, warrants its own article as it is so unique.. always intrigued me and one of the first games i searched when i finally got a snes
- thanx for mentioning my site in the directory...
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac