Official Feedback FOR ISSUE 47

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:48 pm

Personally I prefer it short. Unless they are strange stories of tracking down those elusive items or something truely unique I would rather see some good pictures than read about the collections.

Fandenivoldsk

Post by Fandenivoldsk » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:58 pm

Great cover!!

...And good to read something about Raid on Bungeling Bay. Fantastic game on the C64 (and awful on the Nes)

HalcyonDaze

Post by HalcyonDaze » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:04 pm

Latest issue arrived this morning, only had a quick look through but the front cover is superb, the best yet by far.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:14 pm

markopoloman wrote:I'm sure Stunt Car Racer was covered in a previous issue....
Geoff Crammond was interviewed in gamesTM, but Stunt Car Racer hasn't appeared in RG yet...

Two articles to go, will bring the feedback tomorrow...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:24 pm

merman wrote:
markopoloman wrote:I'm sure Stunt Car Racer was covered in a previous issue....
Geoff Crammond was interviewed in gamesTM, but Stunt Car Racer hasn't appeared in RG yet...

Two articles to go, will bring the feedback tomorrow...
It took me over two years to get that Crammond interview. Don't expect another one anytime soon...

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:45 am

I would like to comment on this issue but as I have nothing crawly bumlick to say and a few negative points that people are discourged from sharing I won't bother... :roll:

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:22 am

Peter Shilton's Handball Maradonna got 2 mentions!!

Shame the C64 loading screen wasn't shown as its awesome!!
Not sure I am happy about it featuring in a future shamer though - the speech alone makes it a classic!!!!
Last edited by Bub&Bob on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:29 am

Got my copy yesterday... Gotta say the cover does absolutely nothing for me whatsoever - it will certainly make the mag stand out from the crowd but it just looks a bit naff to me, not to mention that after just a quick flick through it now has about a dozen highly visible fingerprints on it. It seems I should've worn a pair of gloves to read this issue! ;)

I have to say that on first glance there's very little of interest to me within the mag too. I suppose it had to happen sooner or later. Having said that, I'm sure I will find something of interest once I give it a proper read... :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:33 am

Read most of the Elite article and really loving that, brings back some great memories.

Gonna read the Atari article next, i do enjoy a lot of those older games on that system.

Dont normally like Auctionwatch but did enjoy seeing those Ultimate covers.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:33 am

Opa-Opa wrote:I would like to comment on this issue but as I have nothing crawly bumlick to say and a few negative points that people are discourged from sharing I won't bother... :roll:
Oh for goodness sakes Opa-Opa how old are you? 10?

If you've got something negative to say about the issue then say it.
I've no problem with criticism, but just make it constructive. After all, anyone can say this is censored. But if we know why you think its censored it helps us for future issues.

No one is going to be banned because they don't like aspects of the mag. They will only be banned if they continually antagonise other members and make their life a misery. Dudley has been reinstated and I've put steps in place to ensure I don't act as rash in the future.

If you don't agree with something in the mag or on the forum, don't be afraid to speak your mind. Otherwise you might as well not be here.

Darran

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:35 am

witchfinder wrote:Got my copy yesterday... Gotta say the cover does absolutely nothing for me whatsoever - it will certainly make the mag stand out from the crowd but it just looks a bit naff to me, not to mention that after just a quick flick through it now has about a dozen highly visible fingerprints on it. It seems I should've worn a pair of gloves to read this issue! ;)

I have to say that on first glance there's very little of interest to me within the mag too. I suppose it had to happen sooner or later. Having said that, I'm sure I will find something of interest once I give it a proper read... :)
You're not the first person to say this. There's been a few other comments on other forums that there's been far too much 8-bit coverage recently. I'll have to get the balance stick out again...

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:42 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: You're not the first person to say this. There's been a few other comments on other forums that there's been far too much 8-bit coverage recently. I'll have to get the balance stick out again...
Ironically I generally love the 8-bit era, but perhaps it's that familiarity that means I'm not as keen to read articles about that period, which sounds rather odd I admit!

Some more coverage of the Saturn/N64 generation would certainly be most welcome to me as this is the period I'm least familiar with.

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:06 am

Well, I think this issue is great!

Thank you for a daring front cover that shows understanding of the subject matter. Lesser publications would have taken a safer option. I think the payoff will be people picking up the magazine for the first time when memories of Elite come flooding back to them in the newsagent.

Too many good articles to mention this month, I think the top driving games is almost spot on (but I always did seem to like MSR more than anyone else). Mr Stuart Campbell is the only person in the world that could write a readable feature on 'Fruit Machines' from a retro gaming perspective (possibly).

Also I'm in 'From the forum' for the first time. This is because hardly anybody else had anything nice to say about Elite. So yar boo sucks to be them :P

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:26 am

Ok then...

The cover don't work, I can see what you were trying to pull off but you missed the target by miles and now it looks like a cheap version of RG that couldn't afford a colour cover. To make it work you should have left the IP logo in blue, left the berzerk pic (top right) in colour and the Seni football bloke. Then the main cover feature would have worked in Black and White rather than looking like a home made fanzine.

The reason that some people are finding nothing much of interest in this issue is because it's just full of rubbish that has nothing to do with Video Games again, not because there is to much 8-bit stuff.
6 wasted pages on fruit machines with very little writing and huge boring pictures AND another page wasted with Pinball machine adverts, some of which are so bad that the table never even made it into the article a couple of issues ago..?

The Bargin hunt section is a waste of space and is completely out of date (£35 notes for a amstrad spectrum +2, is this a misprint or a joke..?).

Another Xboz live round up, great for those 360 owners not so great for everyone else, you do realise there are other consoles download sevices than just the 360 don't you..?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:27 am

Opa-Opa wrote:Ok then...

The cover don't work, I can see what you were trying to pull off but you missed the target by miles and now it looks like a cheap version of RG that couldn't afford a colour cover. To make it work you should have left the IP logo in blue, left the berzerk pic (top right) in colour and the Seni football bloke. Then the main cover feature would have worked in Black and White rather than looking like a home made fanzine.

The reason that some people are finding nothing much of interest in this issue is because it's just full of rubbish that has nothing to do with Video Games again, not because there is to much 8-bit stuff.
6 wasted pages on fruit machines with very little writing and huge boring pictures AND another page wasted with Pinball machine adverts, some of which are so bad that the table never even made it into the article a couple of issues ago..?

The Bargin hunt section is a waste of space and is completely out of date (£35 notes for a amstrad spectrum +2, is this a misprint or a joke..?).

Another Xboz live round up, great for those 360 owners not so great for everyone else, you do realise there are other consoles download sevices than just the 360 don't you..?
See that wasn't too hard now was it?

The main reason we dropped the colour on the logo and the top corner was because your eyes were constantly getting drawn to them and we felt it was too distracting.
It was decided that it would have to be all or nothing.

I know you're not a fan of the non videogame coverage, but there are only 7 pages, which isn't a huge amount by any stretch of the imagination.
Still, if you're want a mag that's purely about videogames then that's obviously seven pages too much.

I've never liked bargain hunt, but it has to stay as a necessity. Still, it does need updating, so we'll start changing this from next issue. There have been a few comments from readers so we can use those as a starting point.

As for the Xbox line up... Well we alternate it, between virtual console and xbox live arcade. We're changing this next month though so it's all downloadable content (Xbox Live, Wii and PSN).

See, give constructive feedback and we'll do our best to answer your issues.