From the Forum Question 47

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:05 pm

My favourite moment has to be when I bacame Elite after about 82 hours of game time (Amiga version).

I also loved the title screen on the Amiga, where the ships spin round and the music plays (still the definitive version of The Blue Danube).

The whole feel of the game universe was amazing at the time. The freedom to go anywhere and do what you wanted. A brilliant game, and one that truly deserves the classic status.

I can't wait for next months mag :D Which reminds me, the first issue of "The One" (Amiga mag) I bought was one that had the Elite logo on the cover and had a big Frontier feature. That issue made me buy the mag from that month until the very last issue of the magazine.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:55 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:It was the whole experience and the fact that everything was so consistent. When you look at other games of the era nothing came close in terms of player freedom and an environment that reacted to you and your actions.

Few will forget the first time they were badly behaved a bit too close to the space station and Police vipers came swarming out to give you a dose of capital punishment, or fleeing from a system low on fuel and skimming the sun for a top up before making good your escape, finding a lucrative trade route by studying planets and races and watching market prices and making a killing, fighting off raiding pirates arriving breathless at the safety of the Space Station low on energy with only half your systems functioning, and of course making that last trading run that was going to net you the cash you needed for your next upgrade and praying you didn't fall into witchspace on that final jump.

The entire game was filled with moments like those above and many more little rewards, moments and discoveries that made playing it a real experience. All this in a time when your alternatives were games like Booty and Jet Set Willy.
Now this reallt sells the game for me, never actually played it before, but it's stuff like this that make games sounds magical!!
You should read the novella that comes with it first. It helps set the scene, your imagination sees more than the wireframe in front of you then.
Be aware that you should also print the keyboard quick reference and have it handy - its quite keyboard intensive.

While I have a soft spot for the Speccy version and tend to return to that one, the Amiga or ST versions are probably better options for emulation now. The filled vectors are quite neat.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:05 pm

I agree, I played it for the second time on the ST and it was significantly better.
Still remember playing it on the Speccy though. My best mate who lived in the house opposite had a Speccy and his dad bought Elite. After we'd figured out the b**tard lenslok, we took it in turns to be pilot or wingman, with one flying the ship, with the other navigating, doing ship identification from the included poster and targeting and launching missiles...we were Han and Chewie!. 8)

I agree The Dark Wheel the novella which came with the game is worth tracking down and reading (its bound to be printed online somewhere), as it really did set the scene and as with many games from that period, with that firmly lodged in your mind, your imagination filled in any remaining blanks not covered by the game.

I loved Elite, can you tell?. :roll:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:12 pm

Elite, huh. This can surely mean only one thing: BBC coverage!

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:30 pm

Sureshot wrote:Elite, huh. This can surely mean only one thing: BBC coverage!
What, Retro Gamer's gonna be on telly? Ace! :D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:48 pm

FatTrucker wrote:we were Han and Chewie!. 8)
Does he still co-pilot with you?

I'd forgotten about the ship ID chart. That was a big help to start with, it fairly embedded the craft names and shapes in your head and helped to decide which to attack and which to flee from.

Plotting a route across the galaxy could be strangely compelling, I was for a time a contemporary Jack Kerouac.

Scanned manual (a must read), charts and novella are all available on WOS:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0001601
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:35 pm

Dudley wrote:
revgiblet wrote:Two words. Energy Bomb.
Sounds like an experimental techno group.
You could probably get away with Fuel Scoop for the name of an indie band too.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:00 pm

Huyperdrive could be the name of a boy band?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

uglifruit

Post by uglifruit » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:51 pm

Regardless of how easy Antiriad found the docking I too was really struggling until I bought a docking computer. Then Elite ate my life.

Best moment: finally completing my copying of the useful bits from the manual by hand onto sqaured paper. Including the pictures of ship types(!) For use with my...ahem...backup.
...you been goofin' with the bees?

Mr_Staypuft

Post by Mr_Staypuft » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:04 pm

Trying to convince my dad that computer games had class
because "this new game plays The Blue Danube by Strauss".

E-Type

Post by E-Type » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:10 pm

Beig required to mate with a feline life-form.

Searching for a space-dredger.

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:23 pm

Coming out of hyperspace very close to a Python and then following it in all the way to the spacestation, watching it in my left-view and wondering what the pilot was thinking. Yes, i *know* it's just a game :)
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:52 pm

The best bit in Elite was when I got bored with trading and bounty hunting. When that happened I attacked the local space station just to see how long I could last. :lol:

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:58 pm

The best thing about Elite was....................

Frontier:Elite 2
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

batman877

Post by batman877 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:08 am

Realising that this fabulous game actually works on the BBC Micro!