From the Forum Question 47

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:29 pm

No, Face Spiders.

Seriously, Face Spiders.

*shudder*

forestville

Post by forestville » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:46 pm

Everything including the box art as-well 8) 8) :D :D
Press play on tape

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:10 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:getting the docking computer in Elite is equivalent to getting the stabilisers in Wizball - both games are almost unplayable without them. The difference is that Wizball grants the player stabilisation almost immeadiately , whereas you have to work at Elite for some time in order to make the game playable
I can't see what the fuss was about docking. Its hard the first time, tricky the second, easy the third. Take a good run at it, line the ship up squarely, get your speed right, then you just have to time a keypress to match rotation. Iirc once you get the approach right, you can pretty much hit it full speed once you've got the rotation about horizontal so its docked within seconds.

[edit]
Just been off and tried it again as I've not played for years. Crashed manual docking first time, got in on my second, third and fourth attempts (just to prove to myself it wasn't a fluke).
Sure enough, lining up squarely is the key. After that you can belt in at at least half speed and as long as you're within about 20 degrees of the horizontal opening, you'll dock. Rushing into it when you're lined up on the centre of the door, slightly before it goes horizontal will work every time unless you mess up the approach and hit it off centre. Watch the sides of the station as you approach - if you can see them, you're off centre. All you should see is the flat face of the station, being able to see the sides means you're off to that side and need to pull across to the opposite one for a bit to level out. Take your time with this, retreat if needed, then docking will be easy at any speed (faster the better tbh, just accelerate once you're close and lined up).
I know with praactice it becomes easier , but it can be a tad frustrating shooting down a few enemy fighters , before mis-timing your dock and flying into the side of a space-station - the thing is , there was no reason NOT to include the novice player with a docking system as standard. If you want to purchasea docking system once you trade ships , well that's up to you.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:11 am

When I first learned about it in RG. Still haven't played it!
真・豪鬼

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:24 am

paranoid marvin wrote:I know with praactice it becomes easier , but it can be a tad frustrating shooting down a few enemy fighters , before mis-timing your dock and flying into the side of a space-station - the thing is , there was no reason NOT to include the novice player with a docking system as standard. If you want to purchasea docking system once you trade ships , well that's up to you.
I'd say thee's a very good reason for not providing the docking computer from the off.

Initially, you're quite limited in abilities. You can't really fight as you don't have a powerful laser or missiles. You can't buy much as you don't have much cash. Manual docking makes you feel even more vulnerable and asserts the fact that space stations are not just blobs in space to be raced to, but are in fact big, solid objects that will crush you like a bug. It adds to the atmosphere, making your environment that little bit more real and enforcing the harshness of life in space. A little tension at the end of a quiet trading run makes the rewards that much more sweet.

It also helps to avoid noobs nipping out of space stations, having a pop at a few ships out of range of the station, then hitting 'dock' once in trouble. Bounty hunting/scavenging isn't so easy without one.

You can't trade ships in Elite, only its sequel(s).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:20 am

revgiblet wrote:Two words. Energy Bomb.
Sounds like an experimental techno group.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:51 am

MC1 wrote:I thought Elite was a type of Durex.

Didnt realise it was a game, well you learn something new everyday.
Hated Elite but really liked the sequal - gossamer
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:16 am

Ah yes, that would be when I found out about the cheat for the PC version that let you start with a docking computer and some big guns etc...

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:00 am

the fact that it led to frontier!

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:42 am

It was an amazingly well crafted game and still is, learning to correctly dock the ship is a procedure that resembles parallel parking. Once you learn the method you can do it every time. Head torwards the planet with the space station in the rear mirror...yes...turn the wheel right round, biting point...biting point..

In the book 'The backroom boys' which describes the making of Elite, the first publisher Bell and Braben approached didn't think that anybody would want to play a game where you saved your position and returned later.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:19 am

The trivia about each of the planets added a real sense of wonder. Now I'm off for a bowl of goat soup...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

chinnyhill10

Re: From the Forum Question 47

Post by chinnyhill10 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:24 am

Stuart@retrogamer wrote:Guys, it’s question time again. Sorry it's a little late finding its way up here but we're blaming the Christmas break.

What's your favourite moment in Elite?
Crashing into a space station about 30 seconds in because I've forgotten how to dock. Doh!

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:29 am

Experiencing the jaw dropping graphics which was never seen before on a 8-bit computer.
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:21 pm

It was the whole experience and the fact that everything was so consistent. When you look at other games of the era nothing came close in terms of player freedom and an environment that reacted to you and your actions.

Few will forget the first time they were badly behaved a bit too close to the space station and Police vipers came swarming out to give you a dose of capital punishment, or fleeing from a system low on fuel and skimming the sun for a top up before making good your escape, finding a lucrative trade route by studying planets and races and watching market prices and making a killing, fighting off raiding pirates, frantically trying to break free long enough to get another burst on the jump drive, finally arriving breathless at the safety of the Space Station low on energy with only half your systems functioning, and of course making that last trading run that was going to net you the cash you needed for your next upgrade and praying you didn't fall into witchspace as the warp tunel appears on that final jump.

The entire game was filled with moments like those above and many more little rewards, moments and discoveries that made playing it a real experience. All this in a time when your alternatives were games like Booty and Jet Set Willy.
Last edited by FatTrucker on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:34 pm

FatTrucker wrote:It was the whole experience and the fact that everything was so consistent. When you look at other games of the era nothing came close in terms of player freedom and an environment that reacted to you and your actions.

Few will forget the first time they were badly behaved a bit too close to the space station and Police vipers came swarming out to give you a dose of capital punishment, or fleeing from a system low on fuel and skimming the sun for a top up before making good your escape, finding a lucrative trade route by studying planets and races and watching market prices and making a killing, fighting off raiding pirates arriving breathless at the safety of the Space Station low on energy with only half your systems functioning, and of course making that last trading run that was going to net you the cash you needed for your next upgrade and praying you didn't fall into witchspace on that final jump.

The entire game was filled with moments like those above and many more little rewards, moments and discoveries that made playing it a real experience. All this in a time when your alternatives were games like Booty and Jet Set Willy.
Now this reallt sells the game for me, never actually played it before, but it's stuff like this that make games sounds magical!!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.