subscriptions

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

animaal

subscriptions

Post by animaal » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:45 am

Great magazine - seems like loads of content, and the magazine didn't get destroyed in the post. I loved the format.

I'd like to subscribe, but the subscription price seems very high; £36 for six issues delivered to Dublin, Ireland, compared to £21 if I lived in Belfast, 100 miles up the road. Does postage really double the price of the magazine? This makes it more expensive than if I buy it in the shops. I'm not sure I'll be able to get it in my local shop every month, but I think I'll chance it...

Cheers.

smila

Post by smila » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:57 am

i just had a spy too - there doesnt seem to be an option of when to start your subscription from , or am i blind as a bat.
god created the sid chip so hubbard could make music

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:13 am

I'm sure I saw a box that said "Beginning with issue #" - or maybe that was only in the mag?

White Demon

Post by White Demon » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:40 am

I take it if I subscribe online it will start from the first issue?

Also, approximately how long before I should receive it? (living in Australia)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:47 am

White Demon wrote:I take it if I subscribe online it will start from the first issue?

Also, approximately how long before I should receive it? (living in Australia)
Because the first issue is now out, your sub would start from issue 20 (however, you would be able to obviously back order issue 19)

As for delivery, it's by air mail, so you're appraently looking at 2-3 weeks.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:51 am

Northern Ireland = part of the UK, and therefore UK postage rates apply, which are lower than postage rates to "Europe", which Ireland is lumped under as far as Royal Mail is concerned. Although that doesn't take care of the entire difference in price, it explains some of it.

I'm actually kind of surprised that the two countries haven't worked out a "British and Irish isles" rate for postage, which would make more sense to me, but there you go.

Quick example:

RG18 = 250g (ish)

UK first class = 94p (UK second class = 71p)
Europe airmail = £1.61 (Europe surface mail = £1.36)
R.O.W. airmail = £2.95

This doesn't take into account packaging.

There may also be taxation issues (the UK doesn't tax magazines, but I've no idea whether Ireland does).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Retroscrooge

Re:

Post by Retroscrooge » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:05 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: Because the first issue is now out, your sub would start from issue 20 (however, you would be able to obviously back order issue 19)
What? Nooooo!!!

So even if I subscribed yesterday I have to wait for the current issue to become a "back issue" before I get to buy it (for an increased price), provided there's any left?

That's not good at all. :cry:

Edit: Oh, and I have to phone the UK to order a back issue, I can't do it online. Not happy. :(
Retrogaming since 1895.

animaal

Post by animaal » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:30 am

Yes, some valid points...

> UK first class = 94p (UK second class = 71p)
> Europe airmail = £1.61 (Europe surface mail = £1.36)
> R.O.W. airmail = £2.95

This would make a difference of about £0.67 per issue, or about £4 over a six-issue subscription

> This doesn't take into account packaging.

I assume it'll the same brown envelope, nomatter where it is being delivered?

> There may also be taxation issues (the UK doesn't tax
> magazines, but I've no idea whether Ireland does).

I wouldn't think this makes a difference, since we're all in the EU. If I order a CD player from Germany, I only pay German taxes. Either way, it only accounts for a small bit of the difference.

It just seems odd that to subscribe, bypassing the middlemen and paying up front, it would be more expensive than to buy it in the shops.

However, it is a very good magazine, so I probably will look out for it in the shops.

Timppa

Re:

Post by Timppa » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:46 am

[quote="animaal"]Yes, some valid points...

>> UK first class = 94p (UK second class = 71p)
>> Europe airmail = £1.61 (Europe surface mail = £1.36)
>> R.O.W. airmail = £2.95

>This would make a difference of about £0.67 per issue, or about £4 over a >six-issue subscription

Why is Europe price £36 same as world and whole £15 more expensive than UK subscribtion :?: It is not in line with real costs.

I really liked the issue 19 but hope Europe price would come lower

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:09 am

as promised I today I bought retro gamer (see pic of RG in front of my PC)

Darran I will be subscribing via the form inside (as promised)

Cheers

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:17 am

Well done koops! :wink:
I'll be subbing too, as soon as my 3 free issues run out! 8)

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:23 am

It looks SOOOOO much better than old retro gamer, even if I didnt subscribe I may well have bought more than the 2 copies of the original I bought :wink:

Dudley

Re: subscriptions

Post by Dudley » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:57 pm

animaal wrote: I'd like to subscribe, but the subscription price seems very high; £36 for six issues delivered to Dublin, Ireland, compared to £21 if I lived in Belfast, 100 miles up the road. Does postage really double the price of the magazine?
I can't commente on specific costings, but the Royal mail really does make a huge distinction between Belfast and Dublin. In my days at the post office it was 19p vs 37p just for a letter.

FishyFish

Post by FishyFish » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:36 pm

What's the situation with subscriptions for the old subscribers who're getting the complimentary issues? If I subscribe now will my subscription begin when the freebies stop?

Thanks.

CraigGrannell

Re: subscriptions

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:05 pm

Dudley wrote:I can't commente on specific costings, but the Royal mail really does make a huge distinction between Belfast and Dublin. In my days at the post office it was 19p vs 37p just for a letter.
As I said earlier, that's because Belfast is in the UK and Dublin isn't. When you send mail from, say, London to Dublin, you're sending it to a foreign country—it's no different from sending a letter from Germany to Spain, whereas London to Belfast is more like sending something from Copenhagen to Århus.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com