Official Feedback FOR ISSUE 46

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:23 am

Loved the 2600 article, having just got one it was a good read to get an idea on what games would be worth tracking down for it.
Oh, and having a screenshot of Mega Man in the issue sealed the deal for me!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:13 am

Thanks for the GX4000 Chase HQ 2 article (IIRC I may have suggested this a few months back, I can't remember). Amazing that there only appears to be one copy out there.

I wonder if it's possible it was a pre-production cart? WAVE used to buy stuff up in bulk and if Amstrad had a stack of cartridges sitting around then they may have purchased them from Amstrad. They may have been a short run of "finished" cartidges ahead of a main production run.

That said the article mentions that Navy Seals and Pang were released mid 1991. In fact AA only reviewed Pang in May/June 1991. But I purchased Pang and Navy Seals in December 1990 so those games were certainly on the streets for Xmas 1990.

chinnyhill10

Re: Official Feedback FOR ISSUE 46

Post by chinnyhill10 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:18 am

DJevAL wrote:
So... can't wait to read this and praying to god he'll let the guys at CPCZONE emulate it!!
I believe the problem is transferring the cart without damaging it.

A number of the CPC carts online are actually copies of my own (long since binned) carts. They were copied about 10 years ago. I posted them to someone (I think his name was Kevin) who copied them using an Amiga and a reader he specially built. Sadly I guess this guy and his reader is no longer around so they don't have the tech to copy this cart at the moment without a risk of damaging it.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:51 am

romanista wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:

Stuart's not right about everything you know...
i know, he prefers tea over coffee.... but the resulting thread does show that an article about the game without at least discussing this fundamental critique is not good enough for retro gamer. As time has gone over it, RG is the medium to put a high scoring, well liked game with good initial reception in proper perspective. Although i respect merman's articles, the sentence that feedback should be about the article not the game, does not apply here. sure, i agree that there should be an article about RD but one that shows all sides, especially as even the makers now don't finish it as they do not know the traps any more
The feedback in THIS THREAD should be about the article, not the game. There's a thread over in "It's all about the games" for discussing what people think of the GAME.

I had an opportunity to talk to nearly all of the team about HOW the game was produced, and it was too good an opportunity to miss. I'll let someone else write an article about WHY they consider RD isn't a good game.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:59 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Stuart's not right about everything you know...
What? PROVE IT!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:46 am

It was a good piece on the good old VIC though. Bur don't let that put you off doing more. There is so much you can cover for this machine.

I'm a bit of a VIC fan :roll: so it's probably no surprise that I don't quite agree with your top ten!

I was surprised that 'The Perls of Willy' wasn't featured, and some of best games IMO were compleatly omitted, 'Chariot Race', 'Radar Rat Race' and the joystick breaking 'Villan' spring to mind!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:12 pm

Heh, back with the answers to the Vic20 questions...

Perils of Willy, see earlier (I feel Astro Nell is the better collecting game). Chariot Race I do like, it was floating around in the short list (of about 25) for a while. Radar Rat Race is a hack of Rally-X (literally, if you read the first boxout) and as mentioned earlier, I only wanted two arcade conversions in the list and Jelly Monsters (aka Pac-Man) and Omega Race are by far the best two.

Not familiar with Villain, but as I'm approaching the Vs in my work on Gamebase20, then I'll give it a proper whirl...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

romanista

Post by romanista » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:02 pm

merman wrote:
The feedback in THIS THREAD should be about the article, not the game. There's a thread over in "It's all about the games" for discussing what people think of the GAME.
yup i agree, justsaying the article would have been better if the mixed reception afterwards was discussed.
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:19 pm

Mayhem wrote:Not familiar with Villain, but as I'm approaching the Vs in my work on Gamebase20, then I'll give it a proper whirl...
It has massive player characters. The game-play is simple wiggle the joystick to run and press a button to jump.

It's the only 'Daly Thompson' type waggle-the-joystick game I've seen on the VIC. Are there any more?

Mayhem wrote:Jelly Monsters (aka Pac-Man) and Omega Race are by far the best two.
Omega race I agree with, but I haven't got a copy of Jelly Monsters, too much (L@@K R@RE!!!!!!!!!!!) for me ;)

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:59 pm

GarryG wrote:Omega race I agree with, but I haven't got a copy of Jelly Monsters, too much (L@@K R@RE!!!!!!!!!!!) for me ;)
Its rarity and value are hyped... you can easily get it loose from eBay for a few quid. Maybe years and years back it was hard to find but today there's a slew of them come out of the woodwork.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:45 am

Thanks, I will have a look a e-bay now :)

barry_where's_barry

Post by barry_where's_barry » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:23 am

Hey all. Just wanted to say that I enjoyed the last issue. But was wondering now that you've produced a list of consoles with various prices, maybe a list of rare games could be made? I just re-bought the likes of Soul Blazer and E.V.O. Search for Eden from a charoty shop, but would like the see modern day prices of collectable games?

I know you guys do the eBay watch thing, but maybe produce a list of top 100 rarest games in the UK? A lot of games websites are devoted to the American audience, and I'm stuck to eBay as my main source of game prices.

Btw I did search for such subject, but could not find one. Sorry if this is the wrong place to put such topic.

thr0b

Post by thr0b » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:59 pm

I had an opportunity to talk to nearly all of the team about HOW the game was produced, and it was too good an opportunity to miss. I'll let someone else write an article about WHY they consider RD isn't a good game.
The problem is that the design flaws are a massive part of Rick Dangerous and they were afforded something around one single paragraph, the sum of which was (from memory) one of the designers laughing off the criticism as "Yeah, it was pretty harsh!"

There's no critique of the game, and there is room for it; there's nothing on why the designers made those decisions, nor why they made the same decisions for the sequel.

There's surely room in a Making Of to ask the designers just why they hated gamers so much that they created two games that actively punished the player for experimenting.

I didn't like the feature, and I think that's why, to be honest.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:51 am

What is the Retro Shamer game in this issue?

Also, any chance in extending the Letters forum section please by having more letters/screenshots/pictures/photos please as it always nice to read other reader's opinions on what they think of the magazine?

Many Thanks.

:D
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:05 pm

I was going to ask where Retro Shamers has gone actually....it is absent!